KAAZ Front/Center LSD combo. SERIOUS FEELER!!!

kevzep

Toyota1968":2rt1dc1r said:
If the centre is still a viscous coupling how can it also be an atb ?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

If you look at the exploded view of the transfer/front diff you can see how it works.

The VC is in its own carrier where the transfer (centre) crown wheel and pinion is, then within the Front Diff Carrier, the spider gears are located for the Centre Diff.

A diff always has spider gears LSD or not, and in the instance of this GT4 setup, there isnt enough room for them in the center carrier with the VC...

Hope it makes sense....

This is why its not an easy solution to make something....

I would like to use the ST165 transfer which had the hydra-lock, that way it can be run open, so you get the benefit of the ATB for the centre, or one of the 185 boxes which has the Towing setting where you can disconnect the rear....that would also work....
This is also why this 4WD setup can never be more than 50/50 rear/front drive, as the front is always driven, so it can be more drive to the front, but never more drive to the rear than the front...

Toyota1968

So the quaife solution has an atb diff and the viscous affecting drive to the rear ?

Mikes post states that his offering replaces front and centre BOTH if which are atb

kevzep

Toyota1968":iy4klf7b said:
So the quaife solution has an atb diff and the viscous affecting drive to the rear ?

Mikes post states that his offering replaces front and centre BOTH if which are atb

Yes, the front is ATB, and the centre is ATB/VC if that makes sense.

Its all because the front spider gears, and the centre spider gears are all the front carrier, that's what is a bit confusing

alltracman78

kevzep":33psqsm7 said:

KAAZ dumped the viscous coupling and stuck the center there [where it should be]. Seems pretty straightforeward to me. :p

kevzep":33psqsm7 said:
I would like to use the ST165 transfer which had the hydra-lock, that way it can be run open, so you get the benefit of the ATB for the centre, or one of the 185 boxes which has the Towing setting where you can disconnect the rear....that would also work....
This is also why this 4WD setup can never be more than 50/50 rear/front drive, as the front is always driven, so it can be more drive to the front, but never more drive to the rear than the front...

Is the 165 center diff in the T case? For the locking diff type.
How do you plan on getting power to the rear with the 185 if you disconnect the rear? You're mechanically disconnecting it so no power goes there.

kevzep

alltracman78":1i1ndgnd said:
kevzep":1i1ndgnd said:

KAAZ dumped the viscous coupling and stuck the center there [where it should be]. Seems pretty straightforeward to me. :p

kevzep":1i1ndgnd said:

Is the 165 center diff in the T case? For the locking diff type.
How do you plan on getting power to the rear with the 185 if you disconnect the rear? You're mechanically disconnecting it so no power goes there.

Hahahahaha I amaze myself sometimes with the complete stupidity I come up with....Nicely caught...Maybe I could get the power there by slow boat or carrier pigeon... :rofl:

Seems pretty stright forward to go the Kaaz route until you actually have to design something. Yes it is fairly straight forward, but its not exactly cheap...
The quaife solution is pretty cheap by all accounts

kevzep

eric thompson":2djlregx said:
And honestly... Running the KAAZ on track, When the front locks up, understeer is quite noticeable.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'll happily take it off your hands!!

mike@td.co.uk

Thank you to all who have ordered so far, if you would be so kind as to update me on what you think once you have them installed that would be great. :)

We're partway through installing ours currently. Waiting on various bearings from Toyota before being able to complete and head back to the track.

Thanks

Mike

Looks just as expected, amazing! Install updates probably not till next season. Wracking my brain on a VC solution before I do a trans overhaul...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1470400030958.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1470400030958.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 3,213

kevzep

Bazz":2g89lyg8 said:
Digging up an old thread. Did Kaaz ever get back to you? Would love a kaaz/trd L.S.D.

This seemed to fizzle out.....

But I am trialing a front LSD plate diff in my Rally car at the moment, almost ready for release, I will be posting here with the details as they become available.

underscore

A company came up with a shaft that turns the viscous coupler into the front diff and locks the center, it might be a good option for some people.

Bazz":k3d6faeh said:
Digging up an old thread. Did Kaaz ever get back to you? Would love a kaaz/trd L.S.D.
KAAZ just didn't seem to care enough, honestly. We had the list of interested buyers but the company makes decisions based on majority vote at board meetings and this just didn't make the cut... The US rep tried but to no avail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kevzep

RedCelicaTRD":2vo1e1h3 said:
I’m still mad about this. I wanted a new one!

Its all good, our LSD which is a plate is under test in my rally car (which has about 450bhp) and its done 6 events now and performs extremely well...
These will be available later in the year......stay tuned....

kevzep":2zb44j9e said:
RedCelicaTRD":2zb44j9e said:
I’m still mad about this. I wanted a new one!

Its all good, our LSD which is a plate is under test in my rally car (which has about 450bhp) and its done 6 events now and performs extremely well...
These will be available later in the year......stay tuned....
We really need a solution for the VC. It's the weak link. Not that we don't need a front LSD but the VC is problem once that is solved...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk