KAAZ Front/Center LSD combo. SERIOUS FEELER!!!

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Re: KAAZ Front/Center LSD combo. SERIOUS FEELER!!!

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:20 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:In his quote above. He says front/center replacement. Quaife front lsd's typically cost 1-1.5k usd. So if this is a front center combo, I think the price would be fair. If you did find something as good and for less, I am of course very open to that as my budget is spent and now I am having to work towards my lsd goals for autox.

Oh where does he say that? That picture and his text only says the front, maybe I missed something....?

If that price included both front and centre, that would be a good price.

Once we have our project sorted, we will be looking for interested parties...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
ST185 Narrow body Rally Car
ST205 engine transmission
Stocked with lots of go fast goodies....
400+bhp depending on boost.
kevzep
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:25 pm

athousandleaves wrote:
kevzep wrote:Personally, I wouldn't put a front LSD into a road car, it doesn't offer any real advantage at all, and it will wear your front tyres a lot quicker...

Are you sure about that?
(Especially in regard to the ATB/torsen style of diff we're discussing)

Yes, 100% sure, fro example, a friend of mine runs a Suzuki Swift Sport, has a close ratio transmission and Quaife ATB diff, since he has put that in, he is chewing through front tyres at a great rate.

At normal road driving speeds within the law there is no real advantage, but if you push it then the benefits become obvious.

Any diff which limits the differential speed between the two driving wheels, will wear the tyres more than an open diff.
kevzep
Club Member

Postby eric thompson » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:38 pm

I agree with the tire wear but disagree with the lack of an advantage... especially up here in the northeast.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
ST165-PARTS-RED
ST165-SCCA STU ROADRACING-(RALLISPEC'S ST165)
NEED ONE MORE FOR STREET:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-RCuV_Hmqk (ITS miata 6spd,4.78 rear, shitloads of fun!! multiple wins and track records in 2014)
eric thompson
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm

eric thompson wrote:I agree with the tire wear but disagree with the lack of an advantage... especially up here in the northeast.

Ah, yes, good point, I didn't think of that....We don't have those type of conditions here so I wasn't thinking of that scenario.
kevzep
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:44 pm

kevzep wrote:Oh where does he say that? That picture and his text only says the front, maybe I missed something....?

In the line I bolded in this quote.

mike@td.co.uk wrote:We have secured an exclusive deal with Quaife Engineering over here in the UK and we have a limited batch of Quaife ATB Front & Centre LSD differentials being manufactured at present :D . These will be a DIRECT FIT front/centre replacement and will feature a Quaife lifetime warranty like all of their other ATB units. Will can also supply Genuine diff bearings to go with them if needed. Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of driving with a Quaife ATB, these things are a fantastic piece of kit. Strong, built to last, low maintenance and silent in operation.

These are due to be completed in late March/Early April 2016. I will post up pictures and so on once I have the units in stock, and from that point we can look to sort out any payments and shipping for anyone who is interested and i'll get a proper thread put together.

Costwise, initially looking to cost you guys over in the USA circa $3000USD plus shipping from the UK. Circa £2000GBP (plus VAT if you're in the EU).
Many Thanks

Mike
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby eric thompson » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:47 pm

It's based on interpretation.... the vehicles will still use the Viscous coupling but that technically isn't the center diff.... the front and center are actually two units in one as the center gets power from the output shaft and distributes it front and rear... that's my understanding and interpretation

ST165-PARTS-RED
ST165-SCCA STU ROADRACING-(RALLISPEC'S ST165)
NEED ONE MORE FOR STREET:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-RCuV_Hmqk (ITS miata 6spd,4.78 rear, shitloads of fun!! multiple wins and track records in 2014)
eric thompson
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification, its a bit confusing with the post where he has the picture of the front, and says its the front....
I just assumed that was what we were getting.
Anyway, that's good news, I have sent a message last week to find out more about it all, but haven't heard anything yet..
Might give him another message...

CMS-GT4 wrote:
kevzep wrote:Oh where does he say that? That picture and his text only says the front, maybe I missed something....?

In the line I bolded in this quote.

mike@td.co.uk wrote:We have secured an exclusive deal with Quaife Engineering over here in the UK and we have a limited batch of Quaife ATB Front & Centre LSD differentials being manufactured at present :D . These will be a DIRECT FIT front/centre replacement and will feature a Quaife lifetime warranty like all of their other ATB units. Will can also supply Genuine diff bearings to go with them if needed. Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of driving with a Quaife ATB, these things are a fantastic piece of kit. Strong, built to last, low maintenance and silent in operation.

These are due to be completed in late March/Early April 2016. I will post up pictures and so on once I have the units in stock, and from that point we can look to sort out any payments and shipping for anyone who is interested and i'll get a proper thread put together.

Costwise, initially looking to cost you guys over in the USA circa $3000USD plus shipping from the UK. Circa £2000GBP (plus VAT if you're in the EU).
Many Thanks

Mike
kevzep
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:50 pm

eric thompson wrote:It's based on interpretation.... the vehicles will still use the Viscous coupling but that technically isn't the center diff.... the front and center are actually two units in one as the center gets power from the output shaft and distributes it front and rear... that's my understanding and interpretation

Yes thats right Eric, the viscous coupling is not actually the front diff, the centre spider gears are in the front housing along with the front diff...
This is part of what makes it all a bit difficult to design and build something economically....but looks like quaife have done it...
kevzep
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 pm

eric thompson wrote:It's based on interpretation.... the vehicles will still use the Viscous coupling but that technically isn't the center diff.... the front and center are actually two units in one as the center gets power from the output shaft and distributes it front and rear... that's my understanding and interpretation

Oh really, that's a bummer, would be much better if it didn't use that, well, better for my situation at least.....
kevzep
Club Member

Postby mike@td.co.uk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 pm

For anyone who is uncertain and to clear anything up, this unit still requires the use of the viscous coupling.

The unit is the front and center replacement, as per the stock unit setup of two diffs together, yet these parts now both feature Quaifes ATB technology.

It is an absolute work of art. We have the first paid units heading out the door this week across the globe :)

Thanks

Mike
mike@td.co.uk

Postby Toyota1968 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59 pm

If the centre is still a viscous coupling how can it also be an atb ?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
Toyota1968
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Toyota1968 wrote:If the centre is still a viscous coupling how can it also be an atb ?

If you look at the exploded view of the transfer/front diff you can see how it works.

The VC is in its own carrier where the transfer (centre) crown wheel and pinion is, then within the Front Diff Carrier, the spider gears are located for the Centre Diff.

A diff always has spider gears LSD or not, and in the instance of this GT4 setup, there isnt enough room for them in the center carrier with the VC...

Hope it makes sense....

This is why its not an easy solution to make something....

I would like to use the ST165 transfer which had the hydra-lock, that way it can be run open, so you get the benefit of the ATB for the centre, or one of the 185 boxes which has the Towing setting where you can disconnect the rear....that would also work....
This is also why this 4WD setup can never be more than 50/50 rear/front drive, as the front is always driven, so it can be more drive to the front, but never more drive to the rear than the front...
kevzep
Club Member

Postby Toyota1968 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:45 pm

So the quaife solution has an atb diff and the viscous affecting drive to the rear ?

Mikes post states that his offering replaces front and centre BOTH if which are atb

Toyota1968
Club Member

Postby kevzep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Toyota1968 wrote:So the quaife solution has an atb diff and the viscous affecting drive to the rear ?

Mikes post states that his offering replaces front and centre BOTH if which are atb

Yes, the front is ATB, and the centre is ATB/VC if that makes sense.

Its all because the front spider gears, and the centre spider gears are all the front carrier, that's what is a bit confusing
kevzep
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:41 pm

kevzep wrote:This is why its not an easy solution to make something....

KAAZ dumped the viscous coupling and stuck the center there [where it should be]. Seems pretty straightforeward to me. :P

kevzep wrote:I would like to use the ST165 transfer which had the hydra-lock, that way it can be run open, so you get the benefit of the ATB for the centre, or one of the 185 boxes which has the Towing setting where you can disconnect the rear....that would also work....
This is also why this 4WD setup can never be more than 50/50 rear/front drive, as the front is always driven, so it can be more drive to the front, but never more drive to the rear than the front...

Is the 165 center diff in the T case? For the locking diff type.
How do you plan on getting power to the rear with the 185 if you disconnect the rear? You're mechanically disconnecting it so no power goes there.
alltracman78
GTFour God

PreviousNext

Return to Drivetrain Central