**ST185 stuck in 3rd gear. PLEASE HELP!!!**

Mandrew

As stated above, my beloved 185 is stuck in 3rd gear... It is showing no sign of letting out... At first I thought it may have been a linkage issue, as it was having issues with all of the lower gears (2nd, 4th, and Reverse). It was grinding from 1st to 2nd, and required double clutching most of the time in order to engage. 4th had been hesitant, and also benefited from double clutching. Just recently, reverse no longer engages at all... Hence my suspicion of the linkage. But now I suspect the transmission itself to be the issue. As I am trying to put it back into neutral by hand, bypassing the linkage (using the selector on top of the trans in the engine bay) and no luck... Any thoughts of what might be happening here? Bad trans? Bad fluid? Bad linkage? I'm at a loss... :shrug:

Awesome-Trac

You need to check your clutch master and clutch slave cylinder. When my gears began to go bad and get stuck was because the clutch master was leaking near the pedal where I couldn't see it which lead to the destruction of the transmission. I thought it was the linkage as well when this happened but it was actually lack in fluid pressure which made the clutch not disengage

Mandrew

I've also suspected the cylinders to be a part of the issue. I installed a speed source extended slave pushrod to see if it would help, and no luck. I did notice that it grabbed much later, (as opposed to grabbing at the bottom of the floor). And the clutch definitely works, as I had to have it depressed in order to push it into the garage. Thank you for your input.