Another ACPT C/F Driveshaft 7/2016

ChrisD

Lots of discussion on the Facebook group about this, for those not on there. Might be good to keep some of the discussion here so that it actually helps people in the future.

zaluss/Mike: can / did you measure the length of both yokes? I can probably get to that later this week if you can't. It almost looks like the yoke is all that's too short. Perhaps one option is to use a different yoke.

There are a few confirmed reports of people running these without issue, at the 79.5" length. Others have countered that this may be an issue with high powered cars. Mine would fall in the high powered camp at 4-500whp, running a twin plate clutch and plan to launch quite hard. However, I also have solid engine and rear diff mounts so the play is at a minimum. I would expect the same for anyone running this kind of power.

Another option is a spacer plate at the diff side, which would likely be pretty easy. That might be an option.

zaluss

ChrisD":y5o7ltyh said:
Lots of discussion on the Facebook group about this, for those not on there. Might be good to keep some of the discussion here so that it actually helps people in the future.

zaluss/Mike: can / did you measure the length of both yokes? I can probably get to that later this week if you can't. It almost looks like the yoke is all that's too short. Perhaps one option is to use a different yoke.

There are a few confirmed reports of people running these without issue, at the 79.5" length. Others have countered that this may be an issue with high powered cars. Mine would fall in the high powered camp at 4-500whp, running a twin plate clutch and plan to launch quite hard. However, I also have solid engine and rear diff mounts so the play is at a minimum. I would expect the same for anyone running this kind of power.

Another option is a spacer plate at the diff side, which would likely be pretty easy. That might be an option.

Unfortunately I did not do a comparison measurement of the transmission yokes themselves however in the picture I laid out the two prop shafts are the diff end. The actual transmission yoke appears to be identical in length.

I can measure the OEM yoke length since I have it out and if you want to measure the ACPT yoke length but per Toyota, the Supra and the ST165/185 used the same yoke.

Part 37302-35030 (YOKE SUB-ASSY, UNIVERSAL JOINT SLEEVE) was found on the following models:

Date range Model Frames/Options Found in diagram
08/1987-07/1989 TOYOTA CELICA AT160,ST16* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
10/1989-10/1993 TOYOTA CELICA AT180,ST18* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT

01/1986-07/1988 TOYOTA SUPRA MA70 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1988-04/1993 TOYOTA SUPRA MA70 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT

10/1988-01/1993 TOYOTA CRESSIDA GX71,MX75,YX72,RX7* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
05/1990-11/1999 TOYOTA PREVIA TCR1*,2* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1983-06/1998 TOYOTA HILUX LN5*,6*,YN5*,6*,RN5*,6* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
11/1995-07/2002 TOYOTA 4RUNNER RZN18*,VZN18* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1997-07/2005 TOYOTA HILUX KDN1**,LN1**,RZN168,173 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1987-04/1995 TOYOTA DYNA 100 YH81,LH80 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
05/1995-07/2001 TOYOTA DYNA 100 LY100,YY100 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
12/1982-06/1988 TOYOTA HIACE YH5*,6*,7*,LH5*,6*,7* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1989-01/2006 TOYOTA HIACE LH1**,RZH10*,11*,125,135,15* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1989-07/1995 TOYOTA HIACE LH10*,11*,RZH10*,11* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT
08/1995-10/2011 TOYOTA HIACE, HIACE S.B.V KLH1*,2*,LXH1*,2*,RCH1*,2* 37-01: PROPELLER SHAFT & UNIVERSAL JOINT

ChrisD

Oh ok, must just be the angle and my eyes. To be honest, the more I look at this the less I worry about it. With solid motor and rear diff mounts, my setup does not move. That and this shaft has one fewer joint to provide that play, I think this will be totally fine. I might try it and if something happens, then make a spacer. I'll have this on the dyno before it sees the road, so I can see how things go in a controlled environment first.

zaluss

ChrisD":1w9ebt5f said:
Oh ok, must just be the angle and my eyes. To be honest, the more I look at this the less I worry about it. With solid motor and rear diff mounts, my setup does not move. That and this shaft has one fewer joint to provide that play, I think this will be totally fine. I might try it and if something happens, then make a spacer. I'll have this on the dyno before it sees the road, so I can see how things go in a controlled environment first.

I drove it hard yesterday and I was pretty impressed with the difference. Didn't see any issues.

That said, I ordered the Supra dust shield and I'll do a test fit once I receive it to close the gap and make me feel better about the seal. I'll throw my GoPro underneath the car one of these days to see if we can capture the movement.

fhalperformance

The shafts are identical to the original group buy in length and overall design per a friend who posted up pictures on the facebook group. No ones had any issues with that group buy over the last several years including some high powered cars as far as I have read.

Has anyone actually measured how much of the transfer case output shaft the driveshaft slips onto is actually splined? I got a couple transmissions apart right now I can see about a measurement tomorrow night but I doubt they have the same length of splines the factory driveshaft has. The front axles only have a couple inches of splines where they engage the transmission and we have seen some significant power flow through them in comparison to stock.

For all the shafts that have been used with solid mounts and the like over the years of abuse I think we would've heard something by now if there was an issue.

Ninetail

Cant believe I forgot about this group buy. Guessing its to late now?
How is the result? Is it a bit shorter judging by some of the last comments? (on 185?)

MARLON1211

Yeah I had to cancel mine. As much as I love collecting cool stuff for the Alltrac, I also collect rare Guitars and needed funds to purchase my other hobby.

I'm glad people who ordered are getting theirs.

Ninetail

If this was an "issue" in the previous group buy why not make it longer? Just forgot or didnt know? Would you have made it longer now if you had known?

cgtdream

I bought one from one of the older group buys, sold it because I thought I was out the game, and now want another because im back in it all. Anyway possible to get my hands back into the cookie jar, with this?

abraxxa

I'd be interested too but only after some positive feedback from an owner regarding vibrations as going from three-piece to one-piece seems problematic to me.

awdmofo

I haven't noticed any problems, is there anything specific to try and feel for?
The expert has spoken 🧐. There was another guy that was on a youtube video recently I saw with a banging 185 with a 4th gen IIRC that races in TX all the time with one of these. He loves it and is proud of it. I know its not going to be $800 or $900 even with the group buy but I think we could start a list of those interested to see if we can get to 10+

awdmofo

If I have the money at the time this goes through I'm game! I was looking at this for a minute now
Yea I saw that too, I'm all about weight savings right now (removed interior/rear seats/headliner, race seats up front only, light weight flywheel, lighter wheels) but $2200+ is too much for a few hp and faster rev's for me right now.