Page 1 of 1

Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:18 am
by awdmofo
So I finally got the engine/trans out of the car. The BGB shows little pictures and information about how to disconnect the trans from the engine. I assume there are many various bolts that need to be removed then it should slide off the engine. The BGB just says "pull trans 2-3 inches straight away from the engine" then shows some arrow pointing to the front of the trans saying to slide/push it to the right away from the engine, then next shows another arrow pointing straight away from the engine. HELP :cry: :cry: :bangshead: :bangshead:

Thank you!

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:14 am
by MrDB
Undo all bolts, pul transmition off it then needs to rotate to clear block then continue to pull off.

Easier to put engine on cambelt end and drop transmition back on from above when replacing. ( use hoist )

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:25 am
by FC Zach
MrDB wrote:Undo all bolts, pul transmition off it then needs to rotate to clear block then continue to pull off.


Definitely easier said than done, it took me a while to get mine separated.

MrDB wrote:Easier to put engine on cambelt end and drop transmition back on from above when replacing. ( use hoist )


This is what I ended up doing.

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 pm
by zaluss
I found it easiest to rotate the engine on its side and use the 'silo' method.

Image

Image

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:36 pm
by JRWperformance
I too did the silo method. It really is the best way to do it. Set the engine on a thick chunk of cardboard on the crank pulley. Then use an engine hoist to pull the trans up. Massively easier

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:20 pm
by rallyst185
Massively easier to install it that way too!!! Even with a good clutch alignment tool it can be a PITA

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:00 pm
by awdmofo
MrDB wrote:Undo all bolts, pul transmition off it then needs to rotate to clear block then continue to pull off.

Easier to put engine on cambelt end and drop transmition back on from above when replacing. ( use hoist )


I do have an hoist so that is possible. Dumb question but which bolts do I remove. It looks like the transmission has bolts that maybe connect just to the engine, maybe some that connect just to the transfer assembly ect...

JRWperformance wrote:I too did the silo method. It really is the best way to do it. Set the engine on a thick chunk of cardboard on the crank pulley. Then use an engine hoist to pull the trans up. Massively easier


Silo method?? :shrug: :shrug:

zaluss wrote:I found it easiest to rotate the engine on its side and use the 'silo' method.



Thanks for the pics, is that a 185 engine/trans though? I see a 165 hiding there :D. What I am working with here...

Image

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 pm
by zaluss
awdmofo wrote:
Thanks for the pics, is that a 185 engine/trans though? I see a 165 hiding there :D. What I am working with here...


That is a 205 engine that I swapped into my ST165.

Should be essentially the same concept. You want to rotate the crank pulley on its side (on something like a old thick pillow like I did) and then pull the trans up via the hoist. Without the head, you may have some balancing issues this way.

Re: Removing the transmission from the engine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:05 pm
by awdmofo
So what I actually did was disconnect the front diff from the trans and kept it bolted with a bracket to the block. lifted the engine on one side and only had to lift like not even a foot and the trans slid right off the block. Much easier than I expected.