Front LSD another option?

bmt

I know nothing about this other than it exists. I don't know how long it lasts. I don't know how much it costs. I dont know how much power it can take. I do presume it is good for track/ gravel cars, maybe not daily driver. But do know that information is good.

https://youtu.be/jBXxKyeh4gU

Thought you guys/gals might be interested.

underscore

Stuff like this is my weak point when it comes to cars, but it seems like they're effectively welding the center diff and then using the viscous coupler for the front wheels instead of for the center?

Kurt_st185_gt4

underscore":3w3legkt said:
Stuff like this is my weak point when it comes to cars, but it seems like they're effectively welding the center diff and then using the viscous coupler for the front wheels instead of for the center?

That's exactly what they are doing. although its a good idea because they are still using the viscous coupling for the front wheels the drive train stress isn't completely transferred to the transmission rather than to the viscous coupling. Since the creators say they use this for their rally car at 300hp (I'm assuming awhp) there must not be any overheating in the viscous unit from the extra friction. It's also by far the cheapest option if you know how to weld coming in at $900 for the shaft. Although if someone was to take the proper measurements we could recreate the shaft for cheaper in the states. How ever I don't know if the race shop has a patent on their design though.

underscore

It's seems like a beautifully simple solution then, I'm a bit surprised nobody has thought of it before. I'm assuming the transmission would need to come out to get access to this part of it but I would think any front LSD would require the same. I wonder how it feels on pavement.