Rear Subframe Alternatives>

ibanez91065

Well, leaving the car on jack stands for a few days has revealed to me a problem...my rear subframe is real and truly messed up.
I've seen replacements (not available readily) for up to $1k. So...current ideas include buying a parts car or hoping one just pops up on ebay.

I know there's a few other models whose rear subframe could replace the ST185s but, are there other alternatives? Any other mounts that can hold the suspension components?

ibanez91065

GT4times2":jeupjoua said:
Pics of said subframe? Is it bent or just rust? Should be the same as ST165 as far as I know.

Pics of said subframe, tears not pictured

rusted and separated
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2NzA=

rusted and cracked
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2Njk=

fussellbug":jeupjoua said:
The same subframe was used for Celica ST165, ST185, ST205, Camry/Vista SV25, and Carina/Corona AT175 models.

bless up fessellbug, thanks for the info

ibanez91065":inle9c6p said:
GT4times2":inle9c6p said:
Pics of said subframe? Is it bent or just rust? Should be the same as ST165 as far as I know.

rusted and separated
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2NzA=

rusted and cracked
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2Njk=

fussellbug":inle9c6p said:
The same subframe was used for Celica ST165, ST185, ST205, Camry/Vista SV25, and Carina/Corona AT175 models.

I can't see your pics. Too bad - about a year ago, we had an ST185 shell used for some structural members on another ST185 restoration - while I stripped the shell, I did not take off the rear sub-frame. The shell had only 82k miles on it. It likely would have helped you. I just didn't know those rear sub frames could go bad.

fussellbug

Your first picture looks like the chassis mount has separated. With the amount of rust in those photos you may want to consider moving your engine/trans and other good parts to a chassis in better condition with less rust. Take a good hard look under there and decide whether you have the fortitude (and deep pockets) to replace a whole lot of stuff that is rusted beyond repair.

GT4times2

fussellbug":bocv3td5 said:

While the subframe from the ST205 will mount, the car will have a wider track. Wheels will stick out. Try sticking to the ST165/185 subframes/axles etc

GT4times2

ibanez91065":acpkhfln said:
GT4times2":acpkhfln said:

rusted and separated
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2NzA=

rusted and cracked
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2Njk=

fussellbug":acpkhfln said:

Can't see pics either

fussellbug

GT4times2":1keezo2e said:
While the subframe from the ST205 will mount, the car will have a wider track. Wheels will stick out. Try sticking to the ST165/185 subframes/axles etc

The wider track on the ST205 is due to longer axles and arms. The central subframe itself is identical and will not change the track width.

GT4times2

fussellbug":i9ke69ue said:
GT4times2":i9ke69ue said:

The wider track on the ST205 is due to longer axles and arms. The central subframe itself is identical and will not change the track width.

Very true. My fault for failing to communicate that aspect properly. They all bolt up. He'll just have to swap out the rest(axles and arms).

ibanez91065

GT4times2":3bso3ell said:
ibanez91065":3bso3ell said:
GT4times2":3bso3ell said:

rusted and separated
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2NzA=

rusted and cracked
bWVkaWFJZDoxNTQ1Nzc2Njk=

fussellbug":3bso3ell said:

Can't see pics either

I don't know what the issue is. I can't see them in the post but if you right click picture icon and open in a new tab it will open the photobucket link.

Tecker185":3bso3ell said:
Where are you located ive got several subframes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Michigan. Definitely open to discussing this!

ibanez91065

l00k0v3rth3r3":2v3wk294 said:
Where in MI my man? I don't have a subframe for ya, but if you're close I'm always willing to lend a hand.

A good distance from you it looks, Ferndale. Appreciate the sentiment though buddy!

l00k0v3rth3r3

ibanez91065":3p9pnrgv said:
l00k0v3rth3r3":3p9pnrgv said:
Where in MI my man? I don't have a subframe for ya, but if you're close I'm always willing to lend a hand.

A good distance from you it looks, Ferndale. Appreciate the sentiment though buddy!

That ain't far, i work in Taylor and very frequently am up at my buddies place is Roseville. Offer stands, it's been a while since I have been on here but back when it was fairly active there were only 4-5 tracs in MI that I knew of.

Not sure if this helps or not, but the ST185 Rear Suspension Member Sub-Assy (Toyota P/N 51206-20011) is shared with the ST205, but the ST185 Differential Support Member Sub-Assy (Toyota P/N 51207-20011) is not shared with the ST205 (ST205 P/N for same member is 52380-20020). Not saying the ST205 Differential Support Member Sub-Assy won't work on the ST185 - but there sure is a much different part number that would make me think it wouldn't.

ibanez91065

l00k0v3rth3r3":2z9tl9qa said:
ibanez91065":2z9tl9qa said:
l00k0v3rth3r3":2z9tl9qa said:

That ain't far, i work in Taylor and very frequently am up at my buddies place is Roseville. Offer stands, it's been a while since I have been on here but back when it was fairly active there were only 4-5 tracs in MI that I knew of.

I appreciate it man, really do. If I manage to find one I'll definitely need help haha

I bought mine from someone who owned 2 at the time, the other one is being restored...slowly as you can imagine.