FC Zach's AllTrac

FC Zach

I've had a slow oil leak coming from around the oil cooler/mount for a while that's been bugging me so I ordered all the required seals and replaced them this weekend.

Helpful tips:
To remove the coolant bypass hose next to the thermostat housing, buy one of these tools, you can thank me later. :D

39178408695_9557fb056f_z.jpg

39178408775_c5ec1e21b5_z.jpg

Crossing my fingers for a leak free 3S, I know it's a lot to ask for but I have high hopes :)

FC Zach

No more leaking from the oil cooler however there's still oil coming from somewhere, at least it's one less place. . . :roll:

Anyways, back to accepting my engine is and will most likely always have a leak :|

Regarding the tool above. . There is some room for pliers at that location, these just made the job a little easier (for me at least) as they are ratcheting and lock into position. The tool has come in handy for other tight spots too, like the heater hoses.

msanders2

The only way I was able to get all the leaks on my Gen2 to stop was pull the motor and completely rebuild it. Used all brand new Toyota gaskets and all the oil leaks stopped..... then the power steering pump started leaking lol.

FC Zach

underscore":kku97ax7 said:
That's what happens when you interfere with the patented Toyota Constant Rustproofing System (tm).

Ha ha, first time I've heard that one :rofl:

underscore

VW actually did that on purpose back in the day (their history of terrible ideas will never end). One of the oil seals or gaskets was designed with a tiny leak, so that it would constantly cover the underside in a layer of oil to keep things from rusting.

FC Zach

underscore":2zvgi7hg said:
VW actually did that on purpose back in the day (their history of terrible ideas will never end).
Ha Ha, I just watched a Netflix docu-series (Dirty Money) and one of the episodes was about VW and their diesel cheat. . they thought they were clever.

underscore":2zvgi7hg said:
One of the oil seals or gaskets was designed with a tiny leak, so that it would constantly cover the underside in a layer of oil to keep things from rusting.
Well my driveway/garage doesn't agree with this method but at least there's not rust :)

pintoBC_3sgte

FC Zach":vewnqqz0 said:
pintoBC_3sgte":vewnqqz0 said:
Hey, was wondering how you mounted your fogs. Looks like the same as I just ordered.

I bought a pair of inexpensive six LED lights off Amazon I believe. I secured them to thick scrap aluminum I had laying around that I bent to the angles I needed and then secured with galvanized screws (the holes may or may not have already been there, I don't remember).

39811129052_ae77948e6c_z.jpg

Sorry, another question about your fogs, Did you happen to wire it to use the stock switch, or did you use a aftermarket switch it came with?

FC Zach

Stock. . I also attached OE connectors to the lights so they were plug and play. Another thing I did was reroute the fog light wire (in the passenger kick panel) so the lights would work independently from the headlights as long as the switch is on. I can share that diagram I used if you wish.

FC Zach

mx6er2587":1fa00wet said:
premium or performance series? I have the performance series in mine, and while I love the look the accuracy and durability wasn't great. I was thinking of trying out the premium line

FC Zach":1fa00wet said:
Premium, so far I really like these.

Update on these: I have a Premium boost and I presume a performance oil press and water temp. . The boost works great, I really like the peak memory and the high boost warning light/beep. However, the oil pressure gauge isn't functioning properly and initially scared the crap out of me because the pressure dropped! After a little searching I found that the senders they use are junk! At least for the performance line, I can't say anything about the premium oil pressure gauge.

I'm replacing my gauges with the AutoMeter Spec Pro line. . well, one at a time at least (they're a little more expensive than the ProSports). First up is the oil pressure gauge (P32532) https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-oil-pressure-0-120-psi-spek-pro-black-black.html
These gauges will not clash with the stock instruments and it's a plus that these have a green backlight option too, unlike the Prosport gauges I had.

FC Zach

I've been a little busy lately but I finally got to finish installation of my gauges since receiving the last one last month. I love the subtle look of these as well as their adjustability.
40805956534_f8327210b2_z.jpg

I also repaired my speedometer issue yesterday. . after waiting a couple weeks for parts to arrive. I originally found that the key and driven-gear had broken so I ordered these from a Toyota dealership.
27247777328_4b05904497_z.jpg

Afterward, I was thinking about what caused the damage to the parts above but not until about a week after ordering them. . Thinking the cable adapter possibly locked up and caused the chain reaction, I disassembled and inspected it to be sure. I'm glad I did because this would have happened again (you can see the thrust bearing and gear damage below). The cheapest place I found this part (83770-17010) was from McGeorge Toyota Online Parts ($150), they were MUCH cheaper than what the local dealership quoted me which was over $200! Oh, and like every other part I order for this car, the tech tells me there are only one or two left in the country
26413396057_1071328231_z.jpg

Oh yeah! I also (after years of searching!) finally found some replacement leather seat covers. . a full set! As of now I only have the fronts complete except the headrests, I had to have those remade. I'm still waiting on the headrests and rear seats to be completed since sending the eBay upholster the correct templates last month. Here's the covers the day I installed them.
40694294712_8a57465d1b_z.jpg

39842158255_44850433f8_z.jpg

About a week I attempted to smooth out wrinkles with a small handheld steam cleaner. After only thirty minutes or less I noticed an improvement. . I will try some more when the rest of the covers arrive.
40863667251_2a2210791d.jpg

40155076964_550d0e42c4_z.jpg

FC Zach

Thanks! The remaining covers arrived today so I'll get those on whenever I can and share some more pictures.

FC Zach

I installed the rear covers two weeks ago and finally got around to steaming out the wrinkles/bagginess. .

Here's a pic after installation:
41588248812_7ac3dac0a7_z.jpg

and after steaming:
41224694684_ddb3dcfef3_z.jpg

I'm happy with the results and love the feel of these seats. . but anything beats the janky ones I had been using while waiting for replacement covers.

FC Zach

I had some clunking going on in the rear so I ordered the differential mount. . I figured I'd go ahead and replace the sub-frame/diff bushings too while in there. Not sure what I'm getting myself into but I'll figure it out :)

40997902280_4b0818005e_z.jpg

*I'm pointing at the bag in the pic because the box opened sometime on it's journey from the UK and I sent this picture to BRD because I was unsure if there was supposed to be something in it. . It's probably just one of those air cushion filler bags (just deflated obviously).

FC Zach

No more clunking from the rear, oh so smooth! Also, a silencer/insert for my Motoria exhausted arrived today and wow what a difference! It still has a nice sound but much quieter. The best part is that boost pressure is way more consistent! It'll be much more pleasurable to drive if I don't have to constantly monitor the boost gauge. This car has come a long ways since receiving it sight unseen off eBay five years ago.