Project Add power to make Sith - waiting for new home 8/20

smog7

Ok so im looking at turbo upgrades and I see that the ct27 has the exact specs as your rebuilt turbo except for the cnc machining that it has. Was the price of your rebuilt turbo around that of the ct27 or lower? Is the "secret power" behind the ct27 in the cnc machining? How has your turbo behaved since being installed?

darthripley

the price of our rebuilt turbo was less than ATS by about $250-300
our old ct26 had damage to the bearing journal so it cost an extra $75 to have a new one put in, so if yours is good that will be $$$ you don't have to spend.
Majestic turbo rebuilt the turbo we sent in - we did not have to mess with any core or core charges.
the turbo was done within a week turnaround & Majestic answered their phone & answered any & all questions we had.
also to note, having them port the wastegate to keep boost creep down was no extra charge.

the turbo has been fine - i can't tell you how many miles we have put on the car since the rebuild but it has been doing fine as far as we both can tell.

i know there are many who have had rebuilds not last long etc. & i dunno how long this one may last but we aren't hard on the car & make sure to let the turbo cool down properly as well.

as far as the "secret power" i can't answer that one.
i can tell you that going up against another ct27 that ATS did build but needed a rebuild at the time, we were dead even at ~2psi less boost & do not have a full 3" exhaust either.

syko says

The pvc pipe is very inventive. Ive wanted to put guages where the A/C controls are (kinda like the centerforce one, but not sticking out so much). I may attempt to do this with some techniques you have brought upon the alltrac community! Car is looking great!

Hotrodhendrix

Hey I must say. You two do an amazing job. My favorite thing is how you dont take the usual short cuts the you see most people do.

A++

One of these days Satan will be running and at long last we can have a DFW meet. :D

darthripley

thanks for the nice words James - we will indeed have a meet this spring & look forward to having Satan up & running :)

i only have a really small parts update for Vadar since we've focused all our time on R2 & his swap.

we were able to pick up a complete set of ST205 brake calipers & rotors --- these things are massive compared to the stock ST185 setup & are heavy as hell also :p

the good news is the front rotor & caliper clear the 16" Speedline rims with room to spare which is wonderful since we love the rims so much & they are fairly rare & unique.

btease1.jpg

btease2.jpg

we also picked up a complete ST205 rear subframe which included the Torsen rear LSD.
Vadar's rear diff is leaking now so this is 1 way to get rid of the leak for good haha :twisted:

205diff.jpg

the first things we plan on doing will be attempting to fix an annoying power steering leak which just started leaking & track down yet another blasted oil leak coming from i have no clue where :doh:

look for performance updates when the weather starts getting warmer which should include the rear diff replacement, straight intake & afm removal courtesy of the hks vpc/gcc combo :)

Denver_whiteST185

i always wondered if the ST205 hub set up would actually swap into our cars. i kinda doubted it because of the superstrut suspension in the front was so different, that i figured the hubs wouldn't work

if those do work, than you found the best way to upgrade our brakes. defiantly keep us posted.

i was going to experiment with some SC300 brakes if i could ever find a set since i think they could work.

nice rear subframe. that must have been a pretty penny to ship

darthripley

we have a jdm parts hookup :D

Ted, i don't think the 205 hub will work - it is really different like you said.
even the rear end has all kinds of differences just from a quick comparison/glance under Vadar.
i am going to compare everything to see if any of the 205 rear end parts are beefier for any upgrades for our 185.
the calipers from a JZA80 Supra are actually bigger than the SC300 calipers -- the SC300 guys upgrade to the Supra calipers & rotors from what i have read.
if you got either the SC300 or the JZA80 calipers you would have to get Scooby rotors since the others both use 5 x 114.3 bolt patterns.
perhaps with the SC300 calipers you wouldn't run into the bracket/spacer issue since they are a tad smaller ... i have no idea :shrug:
i *think* (don't quote me on this) that the JZA80 calipers are the same size as the 205 calipers but i am not near 50% sure of that either.

phattyduck

darthripley":2fvpuge0 said:
:shrug: i *think* (don't quote me on this) that the JZA80 calipers are the same size as the 205 calipers but i am not near 50% sure of that either.
They use the same brake pads... dunno otherwise how similar they are though.

You will need to either reduce the disk diameter by 15mm on the front or do a relocation braket (15mm out and rotated around a bit) to get the brakes on the front. I think the Celica also needs a bit of a spacer to keep the ball joints away from the disk (this wasn't a problem when I tested them on my Camry) At least the rears bolt on nicely.

-Charlie

darthripley

you're right about getting the fronts to fit on the Celica by needing a 3-5mm spacer to clear the lower ball joint and a caliper bracket to center the caliper properly on the larger rotor.
it's very nice that the rears are just a straight up bolt-on affair :)

Charlie - i don't know if you remember me or not, i used to go by ripley's99 on teamsc3.com & i was on camryman.org back in the day.
i used to post on toyotanation a fair bit, but i mostly lurk there now.
it's good to see you here :)

phattyduck

darthripley":o7out2p1 said:
you're right about getting the fronts to fit on the Celica by needing a 3-5mm spacer to clear the lower ball joint and a caliper bracket to center the caliper properly on the larger rotor.
it's very nice that the rears are just a straight up bolt-on affair :)

Charlie - i don't know if you remember me or not, i used to go by ripley's99 on teamsc3.com & i was on camryman.org back in the day.
i used to post on toyotanation a fair bit, but i mostly lurk there now.
it's good to see you here :)
Ahhh... Camryman.org, those were the days! I'm still friends with a few of the guys from SC3 (Justin, aka Wraith, etc.). And yes, I remember you.

Of course, now that I have the FWD ST205 Camry and the Alltrac Camry, here is one of the places I 'have' to be. :D

-Charlie

Denver_whiteST185

darthripley":214g1f83 said:
we have a jdm parts hookup :D

Ted, i don't think the 205 hub will work - it is really different like you said.
even the rear end has all kinds of differences just from a quick comparison/glance under Vadar.
i am going to compare everything to see if any of the 205 rear end parts are beefier for any upgrades for our 185.
the calipers from a JZA80 Supra are actually bigger than the SC300 calipers -- the SC300 guys upgrade to the Supra calipers & rotors from what i have read.
if you got either the SC300 or the JZA80 calipers you would have to get Scooby rotors since the others both use 5 x 114.3 bolt patterns.
perhaps with the SC300 calipers you wouldn't run into the bracket/spacer issue since they are a tad smaller ... i have no idea :shrug:
i *think* (don't quote me on this) that the JZA80 calipers are the same size as the 205 calipers but i am not near 50% sure of that either.

SC300 brakes are the same as NA supra brakes. they should fit under 16's easily, since the rotor is 297mm. they are the wrong bolt pattern, but you can get them redrilled by a good shop. my plan was to see if the SC300 brakes will actually bolt up to the hub, and if they do, if its as simple as getting a set of brake rotors redrilled for the 5x100 pattern.

if the offset on the rotor is correct, sc300 rotors should work perfectly with the st205 calipers without any sort of bracket. you still may need to space the rotor out or the caliper out, but you would be able to "bolt" up the caliper with some ease.

phattyduck

The DBA website has a ton of information about each disk that they manufacture - check it out for researching what other disks might fit...

-Charlie

Denver_whiteST185

if you can find out the needed offset, maybe see if you can get racingbrake.com to make you a set of custom hats to fit their rotor rings off their two-peice NA supra/SC300 rotor set up. that would be the ultimate set up, since it would be the right diameter, the right offset (no spacers), lightweight, and easily replacable (since you would just need to buy another rotor ring)

darthripley

lots of good interesting info to think about.

i was just planning on using the ST205 315mm rotors and using spacers and caliper brackets since it will all clear the Speedline rims.

Denver_whiteST185

i donno, i guess i just think a bracket is a bad idea unless its extreamly thick, and i don't like the idea of spacing the rotor out. thats why when i was looking to do my st205 setup, i was wanting to do the rotor rings with a custom hat, but the whole deal was over my abilities at the time.

darthripley

i have another small update on Vadar.

since we don't have another 16" rim & tire we decided to remove the original 15" spare with original bridgestone tire :shock:

we don't drive the car far or often & have towing/roadside assistance thru our insurance in case of a flat tire/breakdown.

we put a small tool bag in the spare tire well & then covered it with a thin piece of masonite which was an old drawing board of mine :)

nohump1.jpg

nohump2.jpg

we got some trunk carpet dirt cheap ($15) that was supposed to be for a 97-01 Camry & cut it down using Vadar's old carpet as a pattern.

nohump3.jpg

it looks OEM & matches the original carpet nicely. :)
the flash makes it look brighter than it is in real life.
it's also nice to have the spare tire hump gone for when we haul big things or normal things :)
not only that it took 40lbs off the rear too.
i'm not complete weight weenie with Vadar like i am R2, but every pound Vadar can shed helps :)

we also got a decent deal on a black face HKS Type 0 turbo timer which we installed this weekend.
we already have used it & i must say its a wonderful convenience to have!
i'll get some pics of it installed later this week.

Tippo

That actually looks really nice. I might do that!

I wish there was a relocation area for the tire. My old 1992 GT-S has some serious trunk room without the tire bulge and no differentials. Negating the tire bulge, there looks to be a significant amount of room. Not as much as a GT-S, but still. Better than what's currently there. :)