Project CMS

CMS-GT4

So I found a big vac leak. The 185 hose was a bit larger than the 205 fitting. I fixed it. The car runs better and does not pull timing as bad at the boost limit. I ordered a new boost gauge today as well. Once I get my vac reference I am going to go back through all the lines and see if vac is my entire issue.

CMS-GT4

Got the new boost gauge in today. Turns out, I run 15-17psi. It pulls timing at 17psi, kicks it back down to 15 psi and hold it down to 10psi after running it hard for a bit. After fixing the one leak it does not pull timing as hard, but still does.

I think the 15psi explains why the car is so damn quick. Would have been nicer if it was that quick at 5psi though. :p

My vac is low though. So I suspect a leak is my issue.

donteatbugs

i just fixed a vacuum leak on mine. it was the power steering booster valve. i had major idle problems. the hoses were swollen pretty bad and popped off around 15 psi. my car wouldnt hold idle and would stall and the boost gauge read 5 in mh where it normaly reads 19 or 20.

CMS-GT4

Have not had time to touch the car. Been working a lot and trying to get my business off the ground. Plus I have had not luck trying to get 3rd gen vac resources.

Anyhow. I found this on my computer.

A vid of when I first got my alltrac.
As I said... it was perfect. Such a shame.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... racvi2.flv

And a vid of when I first instlled the Teins, new wheels and my paint still looked good.
Notice how the sard exhaust sounds on a stock 2nd gn 3sgte vs the 3rd gen.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... I_0570.flv

mike325ci

that was an enjoyable read... :) thanks for the story...

setting goals is a good idea, else the project becomes a bottomless money pit... as much as i'd like to make my car something crazy, i know it makes sense for my time and budget and what i want out of the car to keep it pretty much stock and just do a restoration/recondition on it... i don't want to say "here was my car back then, what a shame..." i have other toys that i can hack up, luckily... ;)

anyway, there are some interesting threads here in this subforum! maybe i'll start one myself...

OH, btw-- i ran across this thread b/c i was doing a search on LSD. you put in a TRD torsen? i'm gonna have to "check" mine and see what my options are. continuing on to my forum search results....

CMS-GT4

Have not had much time to fool with the car lately. Lot of work on the biz, family, sick dog, work etc...

I keep getting the wrong size cap at Home Depot. I am taking an intake pipe with me this time. I plan on testing for vac leaks very soon.

CMS-GT4

So I went to a plubing shop and purchased a plastic cap w/ 3" inner dia. Then I instaled a fitting that will connet it to my air compressor. I then ran ~20-25psi into the straight intake.

I found 2 things leaking air. My a/c ice vsv, which I already knew about. So I replaced it.

Then I found my oem oil catch can has a massive crack in it that is spewing out air. Which explains my vac/boost issues. At least I think so.

So if anyone knows where I can get a oem catch can cheap sent to me in the State, I would appreicate it.

CMS-GT4

I got a guy from the UK sending me an oem one for the cost of shipping. So, I am set now.

I just put some silicone on the crack of the old one. I want to stop the leaking enough to do more leak testing to make sure thats my last leak.

That way I don't have to wait for something else, after the new one comes.

CMS-GT4

So I siliconed and taped up the cracks on the catch can so I could test for more leaks. I found another big one right on the turbo. The clamp on the hose that connects the turbo to intercooler is broke. So I replaced it and went for a test drive.

Idle was better, however after letting off the gas I still get a dip in idle.

Vac is around 17 at idle and goes to ~25 while coasting.

THe car drives good. It only boosts 15psi now instead of 17.

The timing also does not pull near as hard, if at all.

I think I sitll have vac gremlins somewhere but I think I got all the leaks covered. Just a matter of figuring out what hose is hooked up wrong.

CMS-GT4

I think I just need a 3rd gen vac reference then I can double check everything and finish my issues.

etantshi

Time will tell if the LSD vs non LSD will be as dramatic a difference as you have experienced. I hope it is. Thanks for the LSD josh, good luck on your vac problems.

illGT4

etantshi":b6w9629e said:
Time will tell if the LSD vs non LSD will be as dramatic a difference as you have experienced. I hope it is. Thanks for the LSD josh, good luck on your vac problems.

If it helps any-

I can drastically tell the difference between my RC (LSD) and '90's (non-LSD) All-Trac's that I own.

It's the reason I bought a 205 rear sub. w/ LSD for my (white) '90 All-Trac. Some time down the road, I'll buy another rear diff w/ LSD for the (black) '90.

If you are sporting the car - spirited driving - or track use. LSD is a huge advantage.

CMS-GT4

BTW: I just dug out my old window sticker. My car sold for 27,018.00 back in 1992. Almost as much as I paid for my Z just a couple of years ago. Base price was 22,048.

I think if they could have dumped some of the options and got the price 20k the DSM might not be as popular.

etantshi

illGT4":lt4op1c8 said:
etantshi":lt4op1c8 said:

If it helps any-

I can drastically tell the difference between my RC (LSD) and '90's (non-LSD) All-Trac's that I own.

It's the reason I bought a 205 rear sub. w/ LSD for my (white) '90 All-Trac. Some time down the road, I'll buy another rear diff w/ LSD for the (black) '90.

If you are sporting the car - spirited driving - or track use. LSD is a huge advantage.

I think it will. I've always felt that it was missing something, even when I put on the whiteline works package.

CMS-GT4":lt4op1c8 said:
BTW: I just dug out my old window sticker. My car sold for 27,018.00 back in 1992. Almost as much as I paid for my Z just a couple of years ago. Base price was 22,048.

I think if they could have dumped some of the options and got the price 20k the DSM might not be as popular.

I agree. The AT had many options that were only available on many of the luxury lines. Power lumbar seats, auto climate control, leather, sys 10, theft system. And also considering that 27k 15 years ago was probably closer to 35k by todays standards.

CMS-GT4

Took the car for a little test drive. Still pulling timing up top. Runs decent though. Matter of time before I kill the last of the gremlins.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... I_4970.flv

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... I_4971.flv

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... I_4972.flv

Took a few pics too.

img4860it8.jpg

img4853td3.jpg