Project CMS

CMS-GT4

So I pulled the WTA IC to strip it and repaint it. It looks like I am not the first to have stripped it. It has some material used to cover up some dents and dings. I need to figure out what they used to I can make the IC smooth and new again. Then I am going to repaint the top and wrap the bottom with a heat blanket.

CMS-GT4

I have made a priority project list for the car. I am going to not get distracted with side projects and working finishing the car.

My main focus for now is the engine bay. I want to wrap everything up and finish it from the inside out.

CMS-GT4

Working inside today, not so much on the car. Decided to have a little fun in Photoshop.

sdgt4by6.jpg

CMS-GT4

still working on the intercooler. I stripped it and now am waiting on some of the materials to finsih it.

I also cleaned the strut bar and sanded off any of the rust.

I was looking at the engine bay today, it looks a bit intimidating, but I am going to start doing one thing at a time and get some of the engine bay wrapped up before the IC is put back on.

My wife and I have been talking about moving to Austin, TX and tonight she told me, since I have a place here she would rather I paint it now, which is great news.

So now, I have made a list of things I need to do so I can paint the car.

• Touch up the engine bay paint.
    fix last mini vac leak.
    Clean up wiring
    Fix A/C
    Finish engine bay brackets
    And fix about any squeaks and noises.

Now I am gathering everything I need for the repaint and now I have to decide if I am going to do the font lip. I do not think it will be in my budget, but I am going to look into it.

darthripley

that would be great if ya'll moved to Austin, always nice to have another Alltrac in TX since there are so few here that i know of.

i can relate about cleaning the engine bay but taking it one piece at a time is the best way i've found to tackle it.
i started with the ABS area & am making my way around from the turbo area (completed) onto the intake area next, then up to cruise control & strut brace.

CMS-GT4

Cleaned up some wiring today. Since the IC is off, I can reach things better and did a finished job on some wiring. I want it perfect and to not bite me in the ass down the road.

I feel like about at this point, I could do another swap and it would go much faster since I have notes for all the steps now.

I have to start figuring out my brackets now. Once the brackets are done and I spray some touch up in the engine bay, I should be close to ready to get my paint job. Woot!

Next week I am heading to a junkyard. From their site, they have 4 90-92 celicas on site. I am going to scavenge for odds and ends for the car.

CMS-GT4

It looks like most of my materials for the intercooler will be here today.

I found a great source for brackets this weekend. We went down to IKEA in ATL and in the damaged goods area near the check out there is a parts bin. $2 for a small bag and everything you can fit into it. I filled the bag till it was about to rip with little metal brackets that I can modify to work in the engine bay. All in all a good find.

I shortened my manditory to do list.

My main focus is to touch up the engine bay and finish my brackets.
Wednesday I am going to scavange the junk yard for some misc parts.

Then off to paint. I really want to spend more time on my career and stuff then the car right now. I want it to just be driveable and look good. I can finish up some of the little odds and ends next year once i get ahead.

CMS-GT4

Did some IC work today. I hope to finish the sanding tomorrow so I can paint thursday.

I think its too cold to paint the engine bay. I did clean some of it up today and wrap up some wiring plus make some room.

Tomorrow is jardyard day. I hope I can score some decent interior parts for the car.

Here is the thread on the IC clean up.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

Sifu

X2 watching with interest. I will need to work on the MR2's body and this looks like it would work so much better for filling in holes and dents.

etantshi

CMS-GT4":3lkms91x said:
Did some IC work today. I hope to finish the sanding tomorrow so I can paint thursday.

I think its too cold to paint the engine bay. I did clean some of it up today and wrap up some wiring plus make some room.

Tomorrow is jardyard day. I hope I can score some decent interior parts for the car.

Here is the thread on the IC clean up.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

HEY!! can you cut me some front swaybar mounts for me? I need two. Pass and driver.

CMS-GT4

the junk yard was a bust. Most of the celicas were stripped, wrecked or people broke stuff to get to other parts.
all I got from the list was a fuse box cover....

CMS-GT4

Made some progress today. Tightend up some parts of my rear sway bar bits to maybe get rid of a popping sound I got at low speeds.

I also put my old lugnuts on till I get some new ones. Got some small scratches on the wheels, but I think I can buff them out. I might forget about it, since its impossible to keep wheels perfect.

I tired removing a brocken fender bolt, but I dropped the tap behind the headlight.

I tried to adjust the pass side headlight and found it was missing some bolts. When I paint the engine bay tomorrow I am pulling off the bumper and taking the headlights off to get them perfect.

I painted a bracket I made and the strut bar, so those should be ready for tomorrow. I decided to do a little more finishing on the IC tonight and I will paint it in the morning.

I am going to run to the store tonight for some supplies then be ready for the big day tomorrow of painting and wrapping up some smaller projects.

I noticed a bunch of grease on the passenger side wheel. I have a torn CV boot. I am wondering if this was where my popping was coming from. It felt like the driver side, but after seeing this, I guess its not.

The real question now is, can I save it by just puting a new boot on it. It does not pop a lot, so it may not be gone yet.

Sifu

Once the boot has been torn it's possible that it's been contaminated. If you can I'd re-lube it. Upon closer inspection of re-lubing it you can determine if it needs to be rebuild.

CMS-GT4

I will check it out after a finish up some of my warm weather projects.

So today was productive. I paint the engine bay. Took me 30-45 minute to mask off everything and take stuff apart and label it, then another hour and half to paint all the bad spot right.

I found the reason my pass. side headlight was off was cause the bottom screw was not tightened. I lost some tools in the engine bay. ot sure how i am going to find them.

I am making a list of broken bolts to remove. Easier said then done.

I also painted the IC and strut bar today. They still need a little work.

I am hoping to having the car put back together and running again by thursday. Once all the paint fumes have cleared.

I still have to make some brackets and then I have to start tracking down all the bolts and hardware I need to get the car painted.

It was 75 degrees today and sunny. So its been perfect weather for getting this stuff done. I have got to keep moving before it gets back down to way too damn cold.

CMS-GT4

Just came in from working with the downpipe. I hate the damn downpipe on these cars. It always seems to be such a pain in the ass.

I finnaly got the bracket bolt off so I could install the dp bracket. THe bracket does not fit perfect with my mid pipe. I had to bend it some, and only one of the bolts matches up. At least it has some support.

I also found that one of the holes on the compressor side does not match the stud. So I have to grind on that in the morning.

I am not too happy with my intercooler results, so I am not sure what I am going to do about that. I am thinking I will either put it on and refinish it another time, or Do it tomorrow. I have a lot going on, so I might call it done for now.