Project CMS

CMS-GT4

I am using one of these, but the spindles is out of the car. I have an old axle, but not sure how to brace it.

http://ramchargercentral.com/images/how ... alled2.jpg
25hubPullerInstalled2.jpg

deecee

well doing a bit of thinking, that hub puller would have popped the cv joint out first so not the easiest to remove the axle anyway.

You need to do this with a wheel bearing seperator kit or an actual press:
http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-se ... 93980.html

I'm not exactly sure how you expected to get the bearing race off the old axle and on to the new one with out the seperator. Also, the hand held hydraulic unit isn't very good to actually install new bearings.

Talk with your local mechanic and get them to do the bearings and hub swap. Will save a hell lot of time and effort.

CMS-GT4

That was the problem I ran into, it kept popping the cv axle out. The instructions show it working this way, but it seems like a bad concept. I may have found a machine shop who can do all the work for me, for a fair price.

CMS-GT4

So I am not sure if this a common method, but it sure made this a whole hell of a lot easier. I needed to remove the axle nut, and with the wheels off it is fairly difficult, but I have done it before. I just installed my old wheels on the front and its comes off fairly easily. I never realized the hole in the center cap was large enough to fit this socket. I doubt I would use my good wheels to do this in case I slipped.

AFCor

I really like your project and read it a lot. Most of the time I don't have any thing to add, you do such a good job. But, I recently had this very same problem. I tried everything I could think of to remove the axle and nothing worked. On my own I damaged the axle and had to spend even more money to get it fixed. I ended up taking it to a shop and they had it out in less than a day. I was then able to continue on my own.

Everybody needs some help sometimes :)

Whichever way you go, good luck.

-Anthony

CMS-GT4

Thanks man, I appreciate the response. I figured that sometimes I don't get replies is cause I post too much, but I treat this thread like a blog and pretty much cover everything I do. It helps me in the long run cause I forget a lot when its been a while and I can look stuff up to see what I did. Thanks again.

CMS-GT4

88gt4DE":3vsjv1mo said:
The 205 rear brakes look amazing ... test them out yet ?

Thanks, not yet. I'll be testing out the whole system once I get the front brakes and master cylinder replaced.

I tried to fit my emblem, but it does not fit flush in the middle. I have a feeling this is a rear emblem.
photo2em.jpg

I am done working on the front today, as I busted two tools. They are craftman, so they should be replaced tomorrow for free.
photordu.jpg

I tried this before on one, now I am doing it again on two of them. I used a heat gun to get the headlight trim nice and soft, then I place a rotor on the two metal studs. It was mostly straight after a couple hours last time. I am going to leave it over night and see if it is just how I want it.
photo1fh.jpg

CMS-GT4

The first time I did it, it held its shape. I used a rav4 rotor. It just was not bent enough. This time I used an alltrac rotor which is heavier. The one that was being treated the second time is at an optimal shape. The other needs a second heat treatment and I think it will be set.

BTW: Did you find the part numbers for the wheel bearing kit?

toayoztan

Whoops, let me get on that today, and I'll get back with you.

I need to get the EPC loaded up also, to see about ordering a PS seal kit from Toyota, or if I should just buy a reman. one from Toyota and not deal with it, but it's twice the cost at around 240 vs 120...

Bryan

CMS-GT4

Thanks. I have most of the front suspension off now. I just got the driver side and then I am done. I need to figure out how to remove the ring for abs from the axles. I am also trying to see how I need to turn my strut tops to adjust caster. The way it looks is might have to swap the tops to get the alignment I want.

viewtopic.php?t=34886

I also squeezed my bal joint. Its got about a couple mms you can squeeze until you hit some hardstuff. No movement though.

aus jd 2703

Landon":qszjuwou said:
Hey Josh, looking really good. I'm excited for you to get the fronts done as well. Hey might be too late, but if you really want to check your front ball joints the best thing to do is lift the wheels off the ground and try to squeeze the ball joint together with a pair of channel locks. If there is any movement it's bad. This it's specific to ball joints whereas moving the wheel is looking for bearing failure.

Landon im not saying your wrong, but the BGB (aussie one) says to test the join by moving it back and forth ten times and then using a torque wrench to measure the torue required to move it, and if it is below a certain rating its no good. (its only a few inch/lbs).
but i will use both methods to test mine

toayoztan

Here are the part numbers for the wheel bearing seal kit for the front.

It comes with the ABS ring, inner seal, outer seal. It does not come with the snap ring...i just reused the old one, but you can order a new one if you'd like.

Front Axle Oil, RH Seal Kit 04422-20060
Front Axle Oil, LH Seal Kit 04422-20060

Obviously, both are same part numbers. If you enter it into 1sttoyotaparts.com it may be superceded by an updated part number, but it works still to enter this part number from the EPC.

Bryan

CMS-GT4

Great, thanks. I'll get all my parts ordered this week, then maybe next week I can get to swapping these hubs.

CMS-GT4

So the supra emblem should fit the alltrac? Since the one I had turned out to be the rear I was going to get the black one.

CMS-GT4

Been busy lately. Went down to TN last weekend. Got to get reminded how good the roads were, just was not in a case worthy of taking them. I ordered my parts this week from 1st toyota, so my project is on hold until they come in. I also found a shop locally to do my wheel bearings once they come in. I also tested my wheels on my new brakes. Seems my wilwoods clear my summer wheels, but not my winter wheels. So I am going to pick up some wheel spacers from the ebay place that was reviewed on this forum. Its all slowly coming together. Hopefully we will be on the road again soon.

CMS-GT4

Actually, I did think of something to do to the car while I wait. I need to put spacers on the sub frame to better clear the exhaust. Any suggestions of what to use?