Project CMS

Sifu

Sorry if it's been brought up but did you custom your FMIC or buy it from someone else? I've got to get on the ball soon about my FMIC... Thanks...

CMS-GT4

Sifu":20077th5 said:
Sorry if it's been brought up but did you custom your FMIC or buy it from someone else? I've got to get on the ball soon about my FMIC... Thanks...

I canceled the FMIC project and sold all the piping. I had bought prebent aluminum piping and was going to cut and weld it. I ended up going with the st205 WTA IC and a upgraded aluminum cobra exchanger and SVT IC pump.

Here is a pick of the engine bay after powerwashing.

I will post the updated painted pics after I make all the brackets.

img5170vr1.jpg

BriinumsBo

1) powerwashing? you mean you just used smth like pressure gun mixing air+water and just poir it straight on everything in the bay? anyway looks awesome clean!

2) Just finished my two day reading of your project and i`m impressed! i wish i had warm enough weather to tinker around my gt4..
one question. i`ve never driven an RC version or 205. i know you`ve done a lot of mods, but still - how does the engine performance compare to the st185?

3) why did you strip the cruise control? I know its a bad attitude to celica to drive it on plain highway, but still.. is it something related to weight reduction or you just want to make everything RAW with no luxuries? :D (EDIT: i`ve never had it on my gt4)

Sifu

I got rid of the CC because it's so much cleaner without it... And yeah every bit of weight savings helps...

Now you can hook up sum mad nawz to UR crooze control yo!!!

CMS-GT4

BriinumsBo":gbboh3of said:
1) powerwashing? you mean you just used smth like pressure gun mixing air+water and just poir it straight on everything in the bay? anyway looks awesome clean!

I covered all the electical and air port with tin foil. I started a thread on this as well with more details.

2) Just finished my two day reading of your project and i`m impressed! i wish i had warm enough weather to tinker around my gt4..
one question. i`ve never driven an RC version or 205. i know you`ve done a lot of mods, but still - how does the engine performance compare to the st185?

I have never driven a 205 or 185rc. The car has a taller gear due to being an RC gearbox and my large rolling diameter, but even so it is much faster than my alltrac was. It feels fairly close to the quickness of my 350z. When I am caught up I am going to take it to the drag strip and test it with smaller tires to see what kind of final drive I prefer.

13) why did you strip the cruise control? I know its a bad attitude to celica to drive it on plain highway, but still.. is it something related to weight reduction or you just want to make everything RAW with no luxuries? :D

It was in the way when I was doing the fuel filter, and once I got it out, I felt no need to use it. I have cruise control in my other cars and almost always never use it. I felt its one less thing I have to pull out when working, less weight and I don't use it anyhow. I am keeping the parts incase some day I change my mind.

etantshi

CMS-GT4":2kgqn4ju said:
A long time ago. I wish it still was. It was showroom condition when I got it. :(

You have any plans on redoing the engine bay and what not? Or are you basically going to paint just the exterior?

CMS-GT4

I am going to go beat the weather man's ass.

Before I went to bed it said sunny and 75 all day then showers at night. I wake up to rain.

I did get one bracket done. I am going to try and get all my brackets but the fuse box done, then work on AC system.

Now I am just waiting for breaks in the weather.

etantshi":2n4mwlg7 said:
You have any plans on redoing the engine bay and what not? Or are you basically going to paint just the exterior?

I spent yesterday painting the rest of the bay black. I wll post pics once I get the brackets done.

BriinumsBo

I`m wondering if this power comes from just ECU + WTA IC. I`ve tried 350z after st185 and it was like day and night.. it feels like those 280hp on Z are just perfect.. I wish you said there was no noticable power increase :D

CMS-GT4

I think its a good swap for those who intend on not opening the engine and want decent power.

It was cheaper for me to get the 3rd gen engine then rebuild and upgrade my 2nd gen engine to get simular results. It wasn't easy though.

I just got back in from making brackets. I only have one to make for the fuse box and the brackets are done.

I decided to start the car to test my A/C fix, and the car won't start. I started freaking out, but I think a loose wire shorted and drained the battery. The battery is charging, so I will test this later.

CMS-GT4

Charged the battery, started right away.

I bridge the AC connection from the water neck but my compressor's clutch does not engage.

I have no idea how to go about that.

BriinumsBo

I wish I had climate like yours.. My 90' st185 doesnt have A/C and i really dont want it as there are only a few weeks in summer when the temp is 30-35 C° max.. then I love to open windows and enjoy the hot weather, i dont mind to sweat for those short moments :D I would be freakin annoyed if someone got in my car and asked to turn the AC on, also it usually smells terribly :/
Now its like 5 C°, lots of cold and humidity.. Hell of rust for cars..

Are you going to paint the car yourself?

CMS-GT4

No, I wll have a body shop to paint it. I do not have a place or time to paint it. Its enough work doing all these small details I already have to deal with.

I am fixing the A/C cause the place I am moving is hot all year around. Starting this week it is going back to normal... 40 degrees and below... :(

CMS-GT4

Done with the car for the day. I am pretty beat.

I made a bracket from some metal I got at home depot and trimmed up some wires. I have one last wire to deal with and I can't touch it till I make brackets for my heat exchanger.

Thats the next project.

In the morning I am looking into adapters for my wta IC lines. The IC hardlines are 7/8 where my lines are 3/4. I can make them fit with a heat gun, but I want to be able to remove them easier in the future.

Once I sort that out, the Ic goes back on, and I get to take it for a drive again, and test a theory I have on my PS vac lines.

CMS-GT4

Damn I am pissed.

I put everything together last night but the battery was dead. So I let it charge. My a/m relay was making a weird noise, but I figured it wasn't kicking over due to the lack of power.

I charged the battery last night, and cranked the car and the relay started smoking. I turned it off to prevent a fire. the wires were all HOT. I checked under the hood and a piece of metal waas touching my power point, which I guess caused a short. I think I burned up the relay. So remember kids, put inline fuses on everything.

I was also trying to fill up my intercooler and the heat echanger is leaking. I have no idea why. I am going to inquire on if there is a warranty. I might have to JB weld something.... damn it to hell.

On another note, I figured out a solution to my 7/8 to 3/4 adapter. I used a heat gun to put the 3/4 hose on the intercooler then just used a 3/4 splicer to be my removale point. That problem is solved.

So now, on to fixing my problems. Guess the car won't be on the road... yet.

Here is an updated pic of the painted engine bay with the new brackets and everything installed.

img5176zc0.jpg