Project CMS

CMS-GT4

All alltrac front brake hardline fittings are the same, right? The front brake lines I got from Martin don't seem to want to go over the bottom of the flare nut. My rears bolted up as easy as stock, but I bought those somewhere else.

CMS-GT4

Here is the part that does not seem to fit. I hope I can find a place locally that sells line parts and I can just replace this end with one that fits.

photodti.jpg

CMS-GT4

I have had no luck getting a hold of Martin. I looked back at his notes and this was a -03 AN to 10mm x 1.0. I sent pics to revolution braking to see what they offered to adapt it He said toyota has a different fitting even though its in that size. The screw is this size, but its deeper etc.. He said I need new hoses of course, and there is no simple fix. After some searching though I found these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/989538/ ... tId=762945

Its the adapter in a toytota size. So I am going to order a set of these and hopefully this will be my solution. I am hoping to get this all done come next week, but its all a matter of how long it takes stuff to get here.

CMS-GT4

I lucked out, and the part from earls worked. It fit better than the revolution ends too. Those required me to modify my brackets for the hex end to fit in. Earl's fit like oem. Once the wife gets home we are going to get the measurements for whatever caliper spacer I need, then I am just waiting for my brackets to come in. We are expecting the baby in a couple weeks, so I am trying to wrap this up soon.

CMS-GT4

My brackets came in today. I want to fine tune my jig, and then I will begin drilling.
photo1kt.jpg

I need to finish this project first. I am cleaning the garage, and trying to organize all my spare parts. Likely going to toss my camry spindles. I kept them for measurement, but they need to be rebuilt since they sat in water for a while without me knowing. Unless I find decent storage for them. Likely throwing away my 205 harness as well. I am going to cut all the plugs off and keep those, but toss the harness. Likely throw away some other things too, and making a for sale pile.
photo2ry.jpg

I had been looking into ball joint solutions as well for roll center adjustment. I think I am going to have an old set of ball joints modified to accept a new type of joint. This is on the back burner though.

k.beaty

Cool build! Just a quick note on flipping the tie rods... You want the control arm and the tie rod to be on the same (or as close to the same) angle. Parallel, or on a very slight downward angle from the mount to the balljoint seems to be what works best for me.

If you just flip the tie rods, and leave your control arms at a poor angle. the car will be very twitchy over bumps.

Otherwise the car looks awesome! Just wait until you are ready to do your roll center correction before you flip the tie rods.

CMS-GT4

Thanks. I do wish people were more vocal about flipping the tie rods before I drilled. I hope I can get the flip kit out since that bonding material is pretty tough. Oh well.
I am going to finish cleaning the garage today, then its time to get the master cylinder swapped. Hopefully then I can get pressure built up to measure if any spacers are needed. Then off to make brackets.
I hope to get this done by the end of the weekend, but my baby is acting like it could come at any time.

CMS-GT4

First backet is done.

Started as a drawing. that I based off of measurements from an old bracket gtfour77 sent me with the kit. I tweaked it for my height difference and with some actual drawings I found of the willwood calipers and a bracket made for the 205. The 205 drawing was off by 1mm vs my template and my guestimate for height was off by 1mm too tall. Took me 3 or 4 plexiglass templates. If I was to do it over again, I would use some thicker plaster but it might be harder to cut the outer shape by hand.
screen20120915at94504pm.png

I don't have any sophisticated machinery are know a whole lot about methods, so I came up with my own. Since I threaded my template I could not center the bit on it as easily since the hole was a little larger. I bought a long m12x1.25 bolt and cut the head off to center my hole on the chuck. I then swapped to the drill bit to get my hole.
photo1pj.jpg

Then I had to tap it. I think its pretty hard to get a perfect 90 degree tap in metal. So I double sided taped the plexi template on it, and then screwed in the tap into the old bracket. I was then able to line that up with the threads on the plexi template and then I was able to screw in the tap and get a perfect hole.
photo2vw.jpg

Here is my final bracket next to the old one that gtfour77 used with vette rotors. Now I just need to make my other bracket, then I can start working on the hydraulic system and getting back on the road. The baby will likely be here in a week, so I am busting butt. Doing this on top of working on the house, doing my job and preparing for the baby.
photodft.jpg

CMS-GT4

Finished the brackets, luckily I got the first two right the first time. I have extra blanks that I will save if I need them down the road. I will try and get these painted up and my the rest of the system setup this week as long as the baby holds off. I also made my bracket 6oz lighter than the one that was on there. I could maybe shave more weight off, but I am going to leave it as is.

CMS-GT4

I bled the system. I may do some more bleeeding when I am done just to be 100% since it was my first time. I used pretty much the rest of my synpower brake fluid. I did not know they stopped making it. I got more synthetic valvoline. The synpower was great. It had a high boiling point and really helped on the dragon runs. It was something I learned about from some autox guys. The new stuff they make lists about 10 degrees lower, but it should still be good.

photoxev.jpg

So I wrestled some with trying to get proper measurements for my centering. After playing around with different approaches I got a consistant 1.3mm offset needed.

I measured the whole space of the caliper at 74mm. The disc was 32mm so I needed 21mm on both sides of the rotor. With the caliper bolted firm to the bracket I got a 22.3 on the back side. So 1.3mm so make it center.

Wilwood makes shims. I could use 3 and get 1.14mm correction. I am going to hunt around and see if I can find anything better.

Edit: I had found these before, and it looks like they have a set that should make it about perfect.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/US-Brake- ... 40192.html

Also the baby should be coming today or tomorrow, so I am likely going to make my order today and likely mess with it all come next weekend.

CMS-GT4

Been busy lately. Spent the last week in the hospital with my wife having a baby. 17 hours of labor later, I have my little girl Sophie. Future Powerwheel converted to gtfour driver. Turns out you can do a lot to the Pixar Cars powerwheels.
9b8d9012072611e2aa6822000a1ea033_7.jpg

I spent a little time starting to put everything back together today. Brakes clear the wheels with no spacer. My caliper spacer came in this week, so this is center and straight. I need to throw the other side together and torque everything. I will likely do another bleed after that just to make sure there are no bubbles. Staying pretty busy between the baby, work and hoping to get the car done this week so I can get back to my studio projects.
ccd133720a8711e28fa722000a1fbcea_7.jpg

CMS-GT4

Bozo and Beaty. Did you adjust the length of your steering arms after the flip? I have a major change of toe in after flipping the tierods. I wonder if this would cause the weird feeling you experienced.

Terracar

Congrats and the lil lady. The wife and I are expecting our withinthe next couple weeks.

Glad to see you making the progress on the brakes.

Have you done any testing/data tracking with the OEM brakes for a compare/contrast to the new setup at all?

Other than that I love following your thread.

-Terracar

k.beaty

CMS-GT4":135cf2gg said:
Bozo and Beaty. Did you adjust the length of your steering arms after the flip? I have a major change of toe in after flipping the tierods. I wonder if this would cause the weird feeling you experienced.

Flipping the tie rods will cause a TON of toe in. You will definitely need to have the car aligned. I had to run a die over my inner tie rod to cut more threads because there was not enough adjustment after flipping the tie rod on the knuckle.

CMS-GT4

Terracar":5d1mvvek said:
Congrats and the lil lady. The wife and I are expecting our withinthe next couple weeks.

Glad to see you making the progress on the brakes.

Have you done any testing/data tracking with the OEM brakes for a compare/contrast to the new setup at all?

Other than that I love following your thread.

-Terracar

Thanks. All I can say, is if your in there with her, it might be the most hardcore thing you ever witness.

k.beaty":5d1mvvek said:
Flipping the tie rods will cause a TON of toe in. You will definitely need to have the car aligned. I had to run a die over my inner tie rod to cut more threads because there was not enough adjustment after flipping the tie rod on the knuckle.
Yeah, mine has quite a bit in it. I think I will just swap it back and call it a day, then mess with it next year once I do the RCA. That is if I can get the flip kit out.

I got the car back on the ground. I need to do another brake flush, then I will do some simple tests, and double check of my brackets until I feel everything is safe.
a546bc760ce111e2a44612313804d094_7.jpg

EDIT: Also notice the lug nuts are in the holes further out on the wheels. Bam, 5x114.

CMS-GT4

I thought I was done tonight... turns out one of my 205 calipers has a stripped hole. Going to repair that, so I can keep moving forward. My full time work is switching up the first of next year, so I will likely be doing very little to the car until things change. So its almost to a done state. I just need to fix this caliper, and bleed the system. I am going to reflip the tierod back to stock, just cause I don't have time to deal with all that is involved with the RCA right now. Hopefully I can get this all done in the next week or so, then I can get back to focusing on getting my business off the ground.

One thing I did do today was fit my rays from my 350z. The tire size is of course too tall, but if I ever wanted to run 18s this would be a great option. I likely will always run 17s though. You can also get a better look at the supra pearl black emblem.

photo127s.jpg

photo231.jpg

photo233e.jpg

photo55m.jpg

photo56p.jpg

photo57zf.jpg

CMS-GT4

Caliper left at machine shop. Hopefully I get it by next week, so I can repaint it and get this all finished up. I need to take the Z to the shop this week to finish up a few things, then I am going to hopefully contact the buyer.