Project CMS

CMS-GT4

k.beaty":133cveeq said:
CMS-GT4":133cveeq said:
I had to run a die over my inner tie rod to cut more threads because there was not enough adjustment after flipping the tie rod on the knuckle.

For future reference what thread was that die?

Today I decided to put the tierods back to stock, I installed my wilwood shims, and did some other odds and ends.
I am hoping to get the 205 caliper back this week. All that is left is to install that, bleed the system and start testing things out. Further modification will be on hold for a while.

I now have a bird in the garage. It flew in and rammed me while I was working, and I chased it around for a couple hours trying to guide it out. Its still in there somewhere, but I am not sure where.

Punknoodle

Awesome work man, I am pretty keen to bounce some ideas off you soon for getting a good brake package that will fit inside my SSR rims - the Willwood kit from Revolution Brake will not fit according to the template. When I get a chance I'll have a better look at your photos and descriptions to get a better idea.

CMS-GT4

Thanks. For how "tuner" the ssr wheels are supposed to be, it seems they do limit brake options with this wheel. Another member had issues with the revolution kit as well and the same wheels. How much clearance does the SSR wheel need to clear revolution kit? If you can figure that out, you might be able to compare to offset of other brake kits. Revolution uses supra rotors, so you can use the DBA website to see dimensions to compare that to the other discs for the car. You might have to have your own kit made.

Punknoodle

I'd have to print off the template again and have a look. It's because of that big inner lip. I think the caliper needs to move backwards by around 20 to 25mm from memory.

athousandleaves

CMS-GT4":15rx17kb said:
I now have a bird in the garage. It flew in and rammed me while I was working, and I chased it around for a couple hours trying to guide it out. Its still in there somewhere, but I am not sure where.

I'm sorry but this sounds hillarious :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CMS-GT4

Punknoodle":3tqhqh0x said:
I'd have to print off the template again and have a look. It's because of that big inner lip. I think the caliper needs to move backwards by around 20 to 25mm from memory.
Not sure if you can move any brake kit back that far. You risk fouling the ball joint. You might need to go with a smaller caliper design or a smaller diameter brake kit.

athousandleaves":3tqhqh0x said:
CMS-GT4":3tqhqh0x said:

I'm sorry but this sounds hillarious :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I still don't know if the damn thing got out or not. It might still be living in the garage, maybe in one of the cars somewhere. I have not seen it leave, but I can not find it. I found some poop, but that could be from the first night. I am hoping it darted out when I opened the garage the next day.

Repaired caliper. Retapped for 7/16 and had a new bleeder screw machined to fit the oem opening. Painted the messed up caliper and bled the whole system again. I then went through a torque check on the front suspension and brakes.
So this project has been long. Very long. 5x114 conversion, bbk etc... I finally got to take it for a ride today. The brakes seemed to have too much play up top but grabbed when the pedal was lower. I pulled over and saw a hose was leaking at the banjo bolt of the caliper. I took it home, and tightened it and managed to kill some threads. I was pretty pissed. Took it apart looked at it, and some of the outside threads were gone. I blocked off the inside hole and tapped it again. I noticed that the crush washer may need to be replaced. So I put some new thinner washers on, and it appears to not be leaking. I took it out again after bleeding and the brakes feel more responsive like stock. I have not been pushing it hard yet as I was to get all my safety checks in place. Hoping to take it out tomorrow for a wash and to make sure everything is still in check.

CMS-GT4

So it looks like I am to my stopping point with the car for a while. I have a couple small things to do like adjust the fender line I welded up to prevent rubbing, a new cotter pin on one caliper to make it quieter and then just a spot inspection after some more drives to see how ever thing is holding up. I also need to drop it off for an alignment next week. But now that I am caught up, I won't be messing with too much car stuff for a while. I'll still post around some, but my focus now has to be my career and skill set. I will try and post here to update on the shirts I am doing, but if you just add Noritoy to your favorite ebay sellers you should get some sort of notification once I list stuff. I plan on doing one gathering with Mark and maybe some of the other locals but other than that the car will just get some short drives here and there.

Mods to date:
St205 engine and intercooler with upgraded heat exchanger
ford racing intercooler pump
greddy profb spec2
3" turbo back exhaust to a Sard MIG catback
custom K&N intake
RC gearbox
St205 rear torsen LSD
Super pro suspension bushings
Whiteline rear sway bar
whiteline f/r stut bars
Racing beat adj endlinks
tein HA coilovers
Mario Konig Rear solid LSD mount
Cusco Chasis underbrace
front 5x114 conversion
rear 25mm spacers
(Summer) sportmax 050 17x9 /(winter) ADR Fuel
st205 rear calipers and brakes
BFG braided lines front Revolution rear lines
Custom wilwood BBK with 2 piece rotors
Short shifter
Autometer boost and water temp in custom column pod
RC Hood and Bumper
Pearl Black toyota emblem
HKS Turbo timer
Momo Shift knob and Steering wheel
Battery relocated the trunk
ASI Aluminum radiator
JVC headunit with Kicker subs in the doors
Gt Silver Metallic paint.
RC Hood and bumper
JDM front corner lights
walboro 255 pump
braided clutch line
extended slave cylinder rod
shifter bushings
short antenna

I am sure there are other odds and ends I might have left out, but that is a majority of the parts dropped in this car.

Here are the latest pics. Its cold again, but at least the weather is nice.
img1852hl.jpg

img1842y.jpg

img1830d.jpg

img1859yr.jpg

img1825ee.jpg

90425933.jpg

p1060089opt.jpg

Punknoodle

Looks so good mate, great stance! How much power did the car make going from standard ECU to standalone with the factory turbo? Did you raise boost at the same time? I'm wondering what to expect is all...

Meurz

Car is very clean this way with some nice personal touches and uniques parts. I think you can be proud of the result (only took 125 pages, lol), enjoy it on the roads. Good luck and all the best with career and family. :)

CMS-GT4

Punknoodle":35lb6a3v said:
Looks so good mate, great stance! How much power did the car make going from standard ECU to standalone with the factory turbo? Did you raise boost at the same time? I'm wondering what to expect is all...

Thanks. I am not using a standalone though. My engine and ecu are just factory st205 parts. So I went from 200hp to maybe 270-300 now.

Meurz":35lb6a3v said:
Car is very clean this way with some nice personal touches and uniques parts. I think you can be proud of the result (only took 125 pages, lol), enjoy it on the roads. Good luck and all the best with career and family. :)
Thanks. Yeah, talk about a long project... And somehow I only managed 1,000 miles in the past several years. This project would still have kept going had not certain circumstances come up. But its fine. I need a break from working on it, and time to enjoy it for a while. Down the road I will start back up again with some hopefully bigger things. Now to go get my 350z sold.

CMS-GT4

And thanks to everyone for the help over the years. If not for this forum and the good people on it, the car would likely still be in a field somewhere.

CMS-GT4

Took the car to get an alignment. I have had a lifetime alignment for 10 years or so. I got into an argument with the guy working there. He tried telling me I put coilovers on the car since last year and they would not touch my camber, just my toe. Gives me an excuse to sort my setup so I can do my own alignments. I just need to make sure my tires are level then I will get this camber straight. I have their readings, so I have a baseline to compare my gauge to. When I put the car back in the ait, I think I am going to give the brakes another bleed as well. I only bled the caliper when I put it back on, but I think a bleed of the system again will yield more consistent braking pressure.

I had a visitor today.
b9a31e342b9111e28a7322000a1fa414_7.jpg

Mostly working, and sorting out business stuff. Likely start getting alltrac shirts on ebay in the next couple weeks. If your not patient you can hit me up.

CMS-GT4

Had another 185 visitor today. I kind of over blurred him in instagram though. Front wheel spacers came in. Now I am just waiting for my new 5x100 to 114 adapters for the rear I had made. Likely mess with doing my own alignment after thanksgiving.

5d95d4ca2f8711e2ae5f123138100d19_7.jpg

You're almost there man. And it looks great. Our 350 vs AT debate aside, I'm glad you are keeping that AT and spending so much time and real quality effort doing everything right. Oh, and ever figure out the babyseat?

CMS-GT4

Might want tO check out the new daily driver thread and ask him how he likes his his z. Car seat fits on the passenger side but not behind the driver.

CMS-GT4

Got some custom wheel spacers made for the rear. Since I have a couple sets of 205 rotors, I will likely not be changing the rear hubs any time soon. So these will convert the rear to 5x114 and centerbore to match the fronts.
69807628.jpg

CMS-GT4

Ran across this cool little bit on another 185 with the sard MIG.
http://maamaaya.com/page/about-rc.html

Looks like the spring may be adjustable. I need to take a closer look at it.

Exhaust pressure spring tension can be easily accessed by one screw!
However traded meant screws were set in motion in ready-made quality is inferior, adjustment can wrench or needle-nose pliers in stainless steel screws.
More than my own car design point a thud.