Project CMS

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project CMS: Spring front lip project

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm

I met a fellow celica owner at school today. He has a 205 front conversion. No swap yet.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby monkracing29 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Yea i like his car I met him up at SIUE a few weeks ago seems like a good guy his 204 is clean though i love it haha cant wait till he has a 3s in it
my cars close to be running i think we are waiting on some exhaust stuff then we can put the turbo in i think it might have to much play in it but we are just going to put it in and try it out i wont be able to drive it for a while though I hate illinois :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead:
Monk
monkracing29
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Make sure the turbo is good. Its not fun picking blades out of your intercooler.
I got my exhaust bracket welded today. While they were there they saw there was an issue with my midpipe connector and fixed that. I think this might have been the source of the noise I sometimes get when I back up. I am going to keep and eye on it, and see if the sound returns.
I sort of dig this retro celica emblem, but I think I am going to just end up taking the easy way out and putting a toyota emblem back on there.
Coldiron
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby monkracing29 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 am

I have one of these if you like this one I know it says supra on it but heres the picture and I hope that it does fix your problem on that rattling
Attachments
securedownload.jpg
Monk
monkracing29
Club Member

Postby Droptop93 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:30 am

CMS-GT4 wrote:Thanks, I think it makes a big difference. I am now trying to decide to either find some decent cf hood/headlight trim or wrap mine in some CF vinyl or something.

3m 1080 scotchprint cf vinyl best there is as far a vinyl that doesn't look fake.
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:Make sure the turbo is good. Its not fun picking blades out of your intercooler.
I got my exhaust bracket welded today. While they were there they saw there was an issue with my midpipe connector and fixed that. I think this might have been the source of the noise I sometimes get when I back up. I am going to keep and eye on it, and see if the sound returns.
I sort of dig this retro celica emblem, but I think I am going to just end up taking the easy way out and putting a toyota emblem back on there.

That emblem is badass
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 pm

No thanks on the supra emblem. The thing about the triangle emblem is I am not sure I can find one that does not need to be restored. Also I am not sure the size.
I also like this retro yota logo but I doubt I could find one.
On this page

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1602624

I wonder how it would look to paint my oem emblem in body color.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Boo_Guy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:05 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:Thanks, I think it makes a big difference. I am now trying to decide to either find some decent cf hood/headlight trim or wrap mine in some CF vinyl or something.

temperacerguy wrote:

I am about to cover mine in real carbon fiber. I should be doing it in about 2-3 weeks. If you like the way mine come out, I could do it for you as well.

I was looking into getting this done as well, so Im interested in seeing how it comes out. If youre interested Id like to have a set done too.
Boo_Guy
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 pm

So I was wanting to redo my head liner due to some grease on it. Mechanics in the past had ran their greasy hands on it.
I figured I would try and clean it before replacing it.
I used this stuff meant for our suede couch. I dabbed a little on, and the grease rubbed right off. Seems to have no color change or anything. I will keep any eye on it, but it seems good enough for me not to bother replacing the head liner.

Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 pm

So the car is ready for this weekend's autox. I spent last night finding all my camera equipment so I could get some video.

I am back to working on the lip. I Pretty much have my placement sorted, but now I need to make a bracket to hold the sides in place. I could drill into the fender, but I am wanting to be able to remove the lip as well for winter time. Here you can see the material for the lip is to short to reach under the fender. I made a bracket out of a plate of steel, but its going to be sort of ugly. Not that it really matters, but I am thinking I might be better to take some mesh and make the shape I want that coat it with some fiberglass to finish it up.

Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Alright, before I get started I'll get all my excuses ready. I had not driven the car in anger for years, I was sick all night with a cold, it was hot, blah, blah, blah. Now that we got that out of the way, the car did pretty well. I am still waiting on the results of the whole event, but for the most part it did alright. I have a video of my slowest run. More pics may come if any of the other scca guys post up. I had a camera mounted on the car, but the damn recording device failed on me. I got all the videos copied, but it dropped a lot of frames from high speed movement, so we won't even waste time showing that. Trumanpriest came and took the video below for me. I really need to have a better cam for outside that can zoom.

First lets say the course was awesome. I had not run an autox in maybe 5 years and now they are drawing the course in white lines instead of just using cones. It really helped. The car caught a lot of people's attention and everyone wanted to ride in it. I ended up giving three rides. I am going to try and get Mark to join me on the next one, but only if its a cool day. It was just too hot for us today. They also have a road course on site for other types of PDX events. I might consider running one of these.

I only had one mishap with the car. My fender well plastic on the driver side came loose and was rubbing by my second run. It threw me off and since I did not want to do damage I took it easy so I could check it out. I think I might raise the car another 10mm or so to prevent future rubbing. If I can secure the plastic better it won't be an issue. Since I was not sure what was up at first I turns up the suspension to prevent the rubbing. It was too stiff for some spots, which I am sure was not great for my times. The car did not have a lot of push going into turns. On a couple I had some push, but I think I could had approached them better. The engine did well. It was 88 degrees outside, and I never got over 205 degrees on full blown runs. I think that is good anyway. I normally run about 185-190ish.
The only issue handling wise I had was in the slalom. If I came in super fast the tail got real twitchy. I had thrown the tail out once but did not want to risk the spin so I hit the brakes and countered. I might had carried the drift through if I was ready for it. The other thing I need to figure out is my gearing. I stayed in second gear the whole time. It was too high for some of the slower spots, and there were some sections I could had gone into third, but I was afraid to waste time with the shift. On my last run I experimented and used third, which turned out to be my fastest run.
The great thing is, I got a decent time and I saw a lot of room for improvement driver wise. The car could use a few tweaks but was really strong over all. I think my approach to some of the turns and using third gear would gain me some time. I am thinking that maybe this tire size with a 4.2 FD might give me more low end use of my 2nd gear and I would get earlier use of my third gear allowing me to stay in it longer. I might also put my rear sway bar on the middle setting. I sort of wonder if that is what caused my rear to go out so easily on the slalom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHuvo7l0 ... ature=plcp
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby toayoztan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:57 pm

That's awesome man, I can't wait to do my first autox event in my alltrac after I build it up.

Which camera are you thinking of getting in general?

I really want a GoPro2...may just have to bite the bullet and get it because I can use it for my motorcycle too.

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:23 pm

I already have a bullet cam so I will likely get a new pvr if it's what the problem is. I just need to test it.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Project CMS: Autox pics

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:16 am

So the results are posted. Turns out I hit a cone on my fastest run.
http://stlsolo.org/2012results
I was SM66.
Even though, I had a decent final time.
48.998 47.985
50.501+dnf +0.010
47.242+3
46.920+1

Here are some other pics of the car in action.
Its nice to finally see my car in action shots instead of always standing still.
Looks like he got two of my runs, and he did not stay for the 3rd heat. I did wish I did not have that camera mount on considering my video wasn't being captured properly.
You can see other pics here: http://www.grelckphotography.com/index. ... ril-1-2012

Some stills from the onboard camera.

On a note of my tires. they did really good. People kept coming up to look at them and would say, "I never heard of these, but they really stick." They are Marangoni Zetas. I think I would buy them again considering their cost vs grip. They only got better as they got warmer. They never got over heated and slick. I think my biggest improvement will come once I learn how to do my own alignment. I have lifetime alignment, but its only for stock settings. I think if I can set some decent camber on the front for thee events it will help a bit.

Also Mark's car.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Project CMS: Autox pics

Postby MWP » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Nice work.... looks like you had a lot of fun :)

Any videos?
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project