Project CMS

CMS-GT4

Took the family up river road as a test to see how we can handle long trips. It was a couple hours round trip, and I was curious if we might handle 7-8hrs. The car is mostly compliant for them, but the exhaust is too loud for my 2 year old. She doesn't seem to mind, but I don't think its good for her ears, so I will either address exhaust noise, or have her wear ear protection if we dare venture down to the dragon. Of course I will drop them off at my brother in laws before taking on the fun driving.

11371075_1470548783267061_1007366011_n.jpg

GT4times2

Car looks great! When are you planning the trip to TN?
Btw, are these for Alltracs specifically? Doesn't RacerX make MR2 parts? Looks great! How much ligher are they?

CMS-GT4

GT4times2":2jma8sja said:
Car looks great! When are you planning the trip to TN?
Btw, are these for Alltracs specifically? Doesn't RacerX make MR2 parts? Looks great! How much ligher are they?
Thanks.
Arms are specific to my car but he made a jig so he can make more for alltracs. This is an early stage photo.
Not sure when I'm doing the tn trip. Heading to Springfield Saturday for a meet and trying to prep the car better for longer trips. Picked up a single rpf1 to use as a spare and I need to deal with exhaust noise for the sake of my kid. I will be in tn twice later for the holidays but I am still trying to figure out a trip for the car.

CMS-GT4

Got a good deal on a spare wheel. This will be my spare, and I will likely get a full set down the road. I didn't see the point in buying a spare for the sportmax since I plan on moving onto other wheels down the road.
11856759_475068305987992_1037165972_n.jpg

GT4times2

Nice! The Sportmax are nice wheels. Are you keeping them when you get your next set? What are the specs again? Love the fitment. Keep me posted if you decide to sell. The Enkei wheels are sweet. They're getting popular in the All Trac community.

CMS-GT4

Thanks. Yeah I'd like to keep them unless I get two new sets of wheels. I had spent the past few months trying to track down a spare but I could not find another but whole sets and the average price is 800. So then I started looking for wheels that could be spared for a future set. Seems much of the wheels I like are either rare or expensive. Thinking of the long term logistics the rpf1 made the most sense. They are light, cheap, and will be around for a while if I need a replacement. I think for now I am going to try and sell my adr wheels first then I can contemplate what I'll do for future sets. Waiting to see te total costs of this lca being made then I need to tackle my exhaust and lookin to some brake tweaks. Likely going to upgrade to the newest version of my calipers and rebuild my 205 calipers among other things while I am in there.

CMS-GT4

First drag race in the alltrac, and a ride along in a tesla among other show highlights at the Gateways Electro Madness.
My time is on the left.
http://youtu.be/vbLVlog6-F0

Attachments

• 11870714_10153611793983593_8765039621881287530_n.jpg
    11870714_10153611793983593_8765039621881287530_n.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 809

GT4times2

CMS-GT4":15a56srv said:
First drag race in the alltrac, and a ride along in a tesla among other show highlights at the Gateways Electro Madness.
My time is on the left.
http://youtu.be/vbLVlog6-F0

What mods do you have? Not bad. (Looking good). Analyzing the time slip. How many runs in total? (Ideally, high 13s, low 14s with a ST205 swap). Close enough. I know you get the itch to go faster after your first run at the track. What's next? 8)

CMS-GT4

I did two runs. The first was a 15 something. So I improved some. As far as engine goes, its just intake exhaust mbc with 16psi. I think the thing that hurts me is the rc transmission and taller tires. I was still in 3rd gear when I crossed the finish line. I still won't be touching power for a while. I decided I want to drive and enjoy the car some, so no projects that will keep it down during driving season.

When it comes time to do something, the big plan would be an upgraded clutch and a gearbox with a 4.2 final drive. I will have to look at budget, and effort. If I decide to go basic, I would just go forged internals and max out the 205 ecu as much as I safely could. If I go bigger, I am not sure I would even stick with the 3s. I'll never be much into drag racing so most likely I'll be making changes for the sake of powerband if any.

88st165

Good to see you are enjoying the Feal 441s. Looks fun makes me miss autoxing a little. Haven't been since I started doing track days but theyre much harder on your car which is why autox is so nice, plus its cheaper. Maybe one day there should be an alltrac meet/autox event that would be really fun. I used to always do an event at Rantoul airport since it was usually the last event of the year. Not to far from STL but not sure where you are located. Maybe that could be a location some day. Anyway keep up the good work. 8)

CMS-GT4

Thanks. I am actually happier with them than I expected. I have to stay aware the whole time on the highway since the car is super sharp now. I was afraid I would have a hard time controlling it on the autox, but it felt right at home there.
I am closer to Chicago than stl by another 30 minutes. It looks like its about 3hrs from me. Maybe we can make that a 2016 Chicago meet. I bet Cid, and Greg would come too.
I always tried to organize dragon meets around autox, but sadly egos were at risk and no one else would run with me. I am ok with not winning. It just gives me something to keep striving for. Besides, there is always someone faster. I would love to do some sort of meet with an autox. Godzilla juice ran with me at this event, but in his M3. He did start working on the alltrac again, so there is hope to get him. And Trumanpriest might join us for one this coming month. I was going to run a pdx, but I think I might take it easy an only do autox this year. The lot we ran on has a lot of sediment, so I might get some mudflaps just for autox for the just in case, or at least blue tape behind my wheels.
Hows you cars coming? Did you sort out the engine stuff on the track car?

88st165

I feel the same way I am really happy with the Feal 441s. I might even buy a set of gravel spec 441s for my white 165 next year.
I guess I never really realized how far away STL area was. Rantoul seems like it might be a good halfway point between Chicago and STL. Would love to see other alltracs in action as I was always the only one at any events I would attend.
Google maps even shows an autox event at Rantoul haha: https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...0!3m1!1s0x880d202766fc7ce7:0x8652b71ea71fadcf

Currently started working on the white 165 again. Just doing an engine reseal since I blew the HG years ago and just now got around to fixing it. Engine will be basically stock for maximum reliability since I drive through very sketchy areas in Chicago to get to work. The red 165 will have to wait until next year unless I miraculously find time for it. Will most likely be a reseal on that engine too keeping it mostly stock except for upgrades to the coolant and oiling system for track reliability. Once I get that running my first goal is to make it to the dragon in that car. I did it in my SI 2 years ago and it was a blast so I really just want to experience it again in my red 165. Just keeping it simple on both cars to maximize up time so I can enjoy them as much as possible.

CMS-GT4

I see some Vettes at that Autox. Yeah, I want to get more alltracs togethers, even if its not racing. I sort of lost ambition organizing meets just because over the past decade I hear a lot of I'm coming, then the day of they vanish. I figure from now one I will just pick a date to go somewhere, and announce. If people come, cool. I want to make a dragon run, but there has been conflict with the family. My wife wants to go to TN when I go, but she doesn't want to ride in the alltrac on an 8hr trip. I think the car is reliable enough now, its just loud, and kind of small for a family to ride in for long trips. I have a trailer in TN I could tow with, but no way to store it up here in STL. I might need to come up with some solution though next year. I have kicked around picking up a cheap car to keep down there to just be my dragon car. I just have not seen the right car come along yet. I would not mind having another 3rd gen celica, or even a fwd celica to keep down there for fun. If you go down again, make sure you also do the skyway. Its less popular, and because of that its more fun. Less traffic, and higher speeds. Its a lot of sweeps along the mountains. Its a pretty good day trip to run the dragon to the skyway and back.
I hear you on the reliability builds. The more research I do, I decided I rather drive my car and enjoy it than keep working on it. For the 4 years I have lived here, I have done less than 1,000 miles in the alltrac. I want to drive it more, so I am canceling big projects. I have been thinking about power and reliability, and I think I may save up to get good internals for the 205 engine, then only run the max boost the stock ecu can handle. I like the idea of starting it when I want to run, and not having to mess with anything.

GT4times2

CMS-GT4":312tdl97 said:
I see some Vettes at that Autox. Yeah, I want to get more alltracs togethers, even if its not racing. I sort of lost ambition organizing meets just because over the past decade I hear a lot of I'm coming, then the day of they vanish. I figure from now one I will just pick a date to go somewhere, and announce. If people come, cool. I want to make a dragon run, but there has been conflict with the family. My wife wants to go to TN when I go, but she doesn't want to ride in the alltrac on an 8hr trip. I think the car is reliable enough now, its just loud, and kind of small for a family to ride in for long trips. I have a trailer in TN I could tow with, but no way to store it up here in STL. I might need to come up with some solution though next year. I have kicked around picking up a cheap car to keep down there to just be my dragon car. I just have not seen the right car come along yet. I would not mind having another 3rd gen celica, or even a fwd celica to keep down there for fun. If you go down again, make sure you also do the skyway. Its less popular, and because of that its more fun. Less traffic, and higher speeds. Its a lot of sweeps along the mountains. Its a pretty good day trip to run the dragon to the skyway and back.
I hear you on the reliability builds. The more research I do, I decided I rather drive my car and enjoy it than keep working on it. For the 4 years I have lived here, I have done less than 1,000 miles in the alltrac. I want to drive it more, so I am canceling big projects. I have been thinking about power and reliability, and I think I may save up to get good internals for the 205 engine, then only run the max boost the stock ecu can handle. I like the idea of starting it when I want to run, and not having to mess with anything.

Great ideas altogether. I have been thinking the same things for 2 out of the 3 Alltracs, to keep the mods simple and keep them reliable. Contemplating keeping them at reliable 300whp (very feasible). I'm debating if it's even worth it at those Hp levels. Makes more sense to keep them running than being garage queens that keep breaking. I'm getting too old to be in a garage all day. Either that or sell them all, which I don't want to do now. I may sell the gray ST165 at some point. I have summers off (I'm a teacher- :| ), and this summer I had plans to work on both Celicas, but spent more time traveling and not once touched the cars :( . Sign of things to come, maybe?.. Less time on the cars, more on enjoying this short life. Ironically since work started, I've had a desire to get back into the cars. So these cars need to be reliable and relatively simple to work on. Bolt on mentality kicking in hard for the 4th gen swaps I have. :)

What kind of car were you looking at for TN? A nice RWD car would be interesting. Like an old Starlet or Corolla AE86 (if you want to go old school). or A FWD Celica GTS (6th Gens are going for cheap now, and they're pretty interesting cars. They handle well with minor mods ,and 180hp is not bad. Lighter than the older Celicas) would not be bad either. Or a NA MR2. I've been thinking of one as well, and keep it NA via 3SGE (Very cheap, and simple swap). Anyways, just throwing out ideas.

What kinds of power levels are hoping to get out of your set up, with the stock ECU? (You can always look into the AEM FIC as piggy back for additional tuning flexibility and keep the stock ECU. No need to rewire and deal with full management). Have you dyno'ed the car recently? Just to know where you are, and where you want to go HP wise? The CT20 is a nice turbo, and people get good numbers from them.

Do tell about the Skyway. (I will Google it in a few) I plan on going to TN in a few months (mid October). Not with the Celicas, just a short vacation (thinking along the lines of cabin rental, relaxation, maybe hunting etc, looking at Pigeon Forge).

underscore

GT4times2":1dbgn8sr said:
A FWD Celica GTS (6th Gens are going for cheap now, and they're pretty interesting cars. They handle well with minor mods ,and 180hp is not bad. Lighter than the older Celicas) would not be bad either.

If you go with a 6th gen GTS I suggest considering a 1MZ/3MZ swap. They're fairly well documented and only require minor fabrication (1 motor mount and 1 cv support) with a bit of wiring, and then you've got a slightly more modern 200+ NA HP that is still reliable and has good parts availability.