1990 st185-300whp +++

C-dubb

I've got the autometer pro comp 2...I think I'm gonna have to tap the threads in the head.

So the starter is toast. A new one is 90 bucks...sick. Anyone have a spare I can buy?

Droptop93

You do know that the starter is rebuildable right? Its preety simple and your local dealer will have the brushes and everything you need to do it.

C-dubb

^ I did know that, but wasnt sure how simple it was.

So...went and pulled off a starter from a st184 at the junk yard today...got home...installed it...same thing. So I re-check my original starter...and it spins up. wtf. I proceed to pull the replacement starter off and re-install my original one. Same thing.

Start looking around the engine bay and realize there are a couple wiring harness clips I overlooked...one being the starter relay...

Long story short, plugged it in and the beast fired right up and idled out...no timing issues to speak of.

C-dubb

Droptop93":36j0k8ty said:
good work! :D

Hope to see you in 2weeks

Thanks man. unfortunately I can't make it to the meet...I have active duty orders from the 14th to the 30th...Imagine that...the army making me go away for two weeks for no good reason. so glad I'm done in 6 months.

alltracst185

C-dubb":1xd9stz8 said:
alltracst185":1xd9stz8 said:
Congrats bro :D

Thanks man, I got to pop over to your thread to see how your's is coming along.
Slowly, but surely :p Got my top intercooler pipe welded together and almost complete, just have to figure out if I want to stick with my HKS SSQV or go the Tial BOV route :shrug:

C-dubb

With that kind of power I would go Tial...I know the ssqv is very reliable but there is no way in hell the tial will leak from what I've heard. The guy that tuned my AEM runs a 700hp DSM (I know, I'm sort of a traitor) But he swears by the Tial BOV.

alltracst185

C-dubb":1t1zdstk said:
With that kind of power I would go Tial...I know the ssqv is very reliable but there is no way in hell the tial will leak from what I've heard. The guy that tuned my AEM runs a 700hp DSM (I know, I'm sort of a traitor) But he swears by the Tial BOV.
I know and I can get it in anodized purple :D thinking about selling my Tial BOV and gettting an anodized purple one also. If I do stick with the HKS BOV I will be running two :)

C-dubb

alltracst185":1er35d6r said:
C-dubb":1er35d6r said:
I know and I can get it in anodized purple :D thinking about selling my Tial BOV and gettting an anodized purple one also. If I do stick with the HKS BOV I will be running two :)

Word.

Landon

cory... your tuner doesn't have a compound setup by chance does he? lol. i was checking out this dude that have a set up with 700hp at like 47 psi. its pretty sick..

C-dubb

Not sure...you know the guys name?

Speaking of my tuner...apparently he doesn't work at boomba racing anymore and I'm having a hard time locating him.

Anyone know of a good AEM tuner in the midwest that has access to a AWD dyno. Ughh.

boomba has an AEM certified tuner but there are feeding me some BS about how since I changed my cams it isnt considered a re-tune ($200 for the first hour) It would have to be a whole new tune ($580) bull shit. I already spend $1200 dollars for them to tune it and shit in the first place and I drove it for a total of 5 minutes. *end rant

C-dubb

Landon":w4d9u6hu said:
cory... your tuner doesn't have a compound setup by chance does he? lol. i was checking out this dude that have a set up with 700hp at like 47 psi. its pretty sick..

I finally found the guy, turns out he left boomba and started his own shop. Name is Devin Schultz his new shop is Boostin Performance in Addison Illinois. I guess it may be a little more than 700hp...he just ran an 8.84 sec quarter mile yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boostin-Performance/115529075189001

His DSM is the "red demon" I guess.

Anyways, probably won't be able to get it tuned until the first week of october...may drive it a little bit until then...I guess we'll see.

C-dubb

I have an appointment allday the for the 3rd of october. His rate is like 130 for the first hour and 200 for every hour after that...he said with just a cam change we're looking at a couple hours. better than nearly 600 to start.

l0ch0w

I know its a bit late now, but you should have done the stud trick for your tensioner.... it makes life really easy for changing them out in the future...

Here is mine...
imag0232f.jpg

By alochow at 2011-07-23

C-dubb

It's been a while so I figure It's time for an update. The car has been sitting and I still haven't gotten it down to IL to have the AEM tuned. In the meantime I've bolted up the new 3" exhaust system...and it's a world of difference already. Kind of a tight fit between the DP and MP. The old exhaust was a hack job coming off. literally...a sawzall and a hack saw. It seems to be keeping a steadier AFR with the new exhaust on not sure if it's just my imagination. I took it out for a drive and the AFR's were a little wacky but it ran well. I ran it through a few gears up to about 10-12psi and it pulled steady and hard. The only thing is that the turbo doesn't come on until about 4.000 RPM. I'm guessing it could be because of the new 268 ex. cam but it seems pretty late to me.

In other news, I'm pretty damn pissed that I have to go out and re do the timing as i went to tighten the cam gear bolts and the ex cam advanced its self about 10 degrees (one belt notch) and now runs like shit. tried to do it the easy way (whatever that is) but I'm gonna have to jack the engine up again and take the tensioner off and make sure it's done right...I'm taking a break right now...because i dont...want to dooooo it blahhhhhhhhhh. I'll post up some pics soon.

Also, My timing belt has been riding the outside edge and even off the outside edge of the cam gears...doesnt seem right. any Ideas?

C-dubb

Fixing the timing wasnt too bad...it's amazing that after doing something a few times on these carse how routine it seems. blah. I adjusted the pivoting bolt that holds the timing belt tensioner and I was able to center the timing belt as it rides on the gears...not sure if that's supposed to be adjustable but apparently it is on my engine.

C-dubb

It's been a while since I posted in here so I wanted to update. I see a lot of new project threads that i want to take a look at too!

Since I last posted there have been a few changes to my build. Had it tuned, blew a turbo, new turbo, upgraded fuel system, new tune, dynoed, here are the results and an explanation of what I'm doing now to correct an issue that limited us to 300awhp at only 15psi and 48% duty cycle on the fuel injecto

You can see where the ignition cuts out. I thought it would hold out for more power, but apparently not. This is at 15psi. The tune with the new cams and fuel system has a pretty different dynamic, making higher power at lower pressure. (The last time on the dyno the car made 290@22psi)

I upgraded the ignition system. went with a MSD A6, MSD blaster 3 coil, and Magnecor kv85 plug wires. I hope to get it on the dyno again within the next few weeks to see where we are at and if this has corrected the problem. I will include more dyno vids and pics, for some reason the tuner didn't even let us come back while he was working. Doing the tuning ourselves next time.
for now, here are some photos......and let me know what you guys think, any feedback or thoughts on my setup what kind of power im making with it, i welcome any constructive input. thanks.
http://tinypic.com/r/r05uz6/8
http://tinypic.com/r/25u1x/8
http://tinypic.com/r/o0dvk4/8

Attachments

• EVO 561.jpg
    EVO 561.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EVO 568.jpg
    EVO 568.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0