1990 st185-300whp +++

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project: Get your shit together-New pics of Car and parts!

Postby DudeMan » Sun May 29, 2011 1:09 am

Any rush?

I'd like to grab another one from the wrecker before I part with it. Could be a few weeks.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
-Chase

1990 4Runner SR5
1990 Celica GT-Four
DudeMan
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Sun May 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Nah, I'm just gonna assemble it with the stock manifold when I get the head back because I wanna drive it...whenever.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Finally got the cylinder head back from the machine shop.
GSC 268 degree cams, Shimless buckets, Ferrea dual valve springs, and ATS adjustable cam gears. Should flow a little better now!
Still waiting on the Cometic head gasket I ordered, then It's going back together.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Re: Project: Get your shit together-Head's done!

Postby C-dubb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Wanted to get it assembled with a top feed fuel rail and some 800cc injectors but that will have to wait until the next paycheck...

Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Re: Project: Get your shit together-bout ready to roll

Postby C-dubb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:49 pm

The engine is all back together, thanks to the help of Eric (speedricer) coming over last night to give me a hand. The trouple now is a starting issue (electrical) My starter isn't rolling over at all so I have to go get a multimeter and see what I can find out. Here are some picks of the engine back together.

^^ This little bastard gave me the fight of my life. never ever doing the upper timing belt in the engine bay ever again. F timing belt tensioners.

I'm gonna see what I can figure out with the starter, hopefully it's something little...heres hoping.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby Droptop93 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Good shit cory! You gonna hopefully beable to come down to toledo in sept with eric? Would love to see this beast in person.
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby Landon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 pm

looks good man! anythings new with the starter? can you turn it over if you hook battery directly to it? that might help narrow things.
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Droptop93 wrote:Good shit cory! You gonna hopefully beable to come down to toledo in sept with eric? Would love to see this beast in person.
I want to be able to, I have to check my avaiability bc the army has me signed up for some bullshit two week training event...even though I'm not going to Afghanistan with the unit and I'm out in 7 months...awesome.

Landon wrote:looks good man! anythings new with the starter? can you turn it over if you hook battery directly to it? that might help narrow things.
Thanks man. I put the battery to the starter and it popped out but didn't turn over. I'm thinking it has to be something between the battery to the neutral switch...all the fuses look fine. I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper.

In the meantime I'm wiring up all of my guages to their respective power sources and senders haha...funny thing...the sender for the oil pressure wont thread into the head...I love working on this car.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby alltracst185 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

C-dubb wrote:
Droptop93 wrote:Good shit cory! You gonna hopefully beable to come down to toledo in sept with eric? Would love to see this beast in person.
I want to be able to, I have to check my avaiability bc the army has me signed up for some bullshit two week training event...even though I'm not going to Afghanistan with the unit and I'm out in 7 months...awesome.

Landon wrote:looks good man! anythings new with the starter? can you turn it over if you hook battery directly to it? that might help narrow things.
Thanks man. I put the battery to the starter and it popped out but didn't turn over. I'm thinking it has to be something between the battery to the neutral switch...all the fuses look fine. I'm gonna have to dig a little deeper.

In the meantime I'm wiring up all of my guages to their respective power sources and senders haha...funny thing...the sender for the oil pressure wont thread into the head...I love working on this car.

I feel ya bro, i'm having issues connecting to my EMS now :doh: This car is fighting me all the way to the finish!
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby Landon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:33 am

dude i got ya on the sender! what gauge do you have? i have a prosport oil pressure gauge and i ended up putting a T in so that i could run the oil pressure warning light and the sender. i had to re-thread to make part of it fit into the head. its a metric pipe thread if i remember right. thats what i did to make it work. if you want more info i can show you a pic and such. about the starter- it seems that if the solenoid pops out but the starter doesn't turn over with direct power it would be starter related...? but you know more about whats goin on so whatever. lol. good luck man.
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I've got the autometer pro comp 2...I think I'm gonna have to tap the threads in the head.

So the starter is toast. A new one is 90 bucks...sick. Anyone have a spare I can buy?
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby Droptop93 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:07 pm

You do know that the starter is rebuildable right? Its preety simple and your local dealer will have the brushes and everything you need to do it.
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:13 pm

^ I did know that, but wasnt sure how simple it was.

So...went and pulled off a starter from a st184 at the junk yard today...got home...installed it...same thing. So I re-check my original starter...and it spins up. wtf. I proceed to pull the replacement starter off and re-install my original one. Same thing.

Start looking around the engine bay and realize there are a couple wiring harness clips I overlooked...one being the starter relay...

Long story short, plugged it in and the beast fired right up and idled out...no timing issues to speak of.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Re: Project: Get your shit together-The beast lives!

Postby Droptop93 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:50 pm

good work! :D

Hope to see you in 2weeks
Droptop93
Club Member

Re: Project: Get your shit together-The beast lives!

Postby alltracst185 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Congrats bro :D
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project