1990 st185-300whp +++

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project: Get your shit together-The beast lives!

Postby C-dubb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Droptop93 wrote:good work! :D

Hope to see you in 2weeks

Thanks man. unfortunately I can't make it to the meet...I have active duty orders from the 14th to the 30th...Imagine that...the army making me go away for two weeks for no good reason. so glad I'm done in 6 months.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

alltracst185 wrote:Congrats bro :D

Thanks man, I got to pop over to your thread to see how your's is coming along.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby alltracst185 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:47 pm

C-dubb wrote:
alltracst185 wrote:Congrats bro :D

Thanks man, I got to pop over to your thread to see how your's is coming along.

Slowly, but surely :P Got my top intercooler pipe welded together and almost complete, just have to figure out if I want to stick with my HKS SSQV or go the Tial BOV route :shrug:
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:09 pm

With that kind of power I would go Tial...I know the ssqv is very reliable but there is no way in hell the tial will leak from what I've heard. The guy that tuned my AEM runs a 700hp DSM (I know, I'm sort of a traitor) But he swears by the Tial BOV.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby alltracst185 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:13 pm

C-dubb wrote:With that kind of power I would go Tial...I know the ssqv is very reliable but there is no way in hell the tial will leak from what I've heard. The guy that tuned my AEM runs a 700hp DSM (I know, I'm sort of a traitor) But he swears by the Tial BOV.

I know and I can get it in anodized purple :D thinking about selling my Tial BOV and gettting an anodized purple one also. If I do stick with the HKS BOV I will be running two :)
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:38 pm

alltracst185 wrote:
C-dubb wrote:With that kind of power I would go Tial...I know the ssqv is very reliable but there is no way in hell the tial will leak from what I've heard. The guy that tuned my AEM runs a 700hp DSM (I know, I'm sort of a traitor) But he swears by the Tial BOV.

I know and I can get it in anodized purple :D thinking about selling my Tial BOV and gettting an anodized purple one also. If I do stick with the HKS BOV I will be running two :)

Word.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby Landon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:26 pm

cory... your tuner doesn't have a compound setup by chance does he? lol. i was checking out this dude that have a set up with 700hp at like 47 psi. its pretty sick..
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Not sure...you know the guys name?

Speaking of my tuner...apparently he doesn't work at boomba racing anymore and I'm having a hard time locating him.

Anyone know of a good AEM tuner in the midwest that has access to a AWD dyno. Ughh.

boomba has an AEM certified tuner but there are feeding me some BS about how since I changed my cams it isnt considered a re-tune ($200 for the first hour) It would have to be a whole new tune ($580) bull shit. I already spend $1200 dollars for them to tune it and shit in the first place and I drove it for a total of 5 minutes. *end rant
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Landon wrote:cory... your tuner doesn't have a compound setup by chance does he? lol. i was checking out this dude that have a set up with 700hp at like 47 psi. its pretty sick..

I finally found the guy, turns out he left boomba and started his own shop. Name is Devin Schultz his new shop is Boostin Performance in Addison Illinois. I guess it may be a little more than 700hp...he just ran an 8.84 sec quarter mile yesterday.

[url][/url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boostin-Performance/115529075189001[url][/url]

His DSM is the "red demon" I guess.

Anyways, probably won't be able to get it tuned until the first week of october...may drive it a little bit until then...I guess we'll see.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:38 pm

I have an appointment allday the for the 3rd of october. His rate is like 130 for the first hour and 200 for every hour after that...he said with just a cam change we're looking at a couple hours. better than nearly 600 to start.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby l0ch0w » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:31 pm

I know its a bit late now, but you should have done the stud trick for your tensioner.... it makes life really easy for changing them out in the future...

Here is mine...
By alochow at 2011-07-23
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby C-dubb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:05 pm

It's been a while so I figure It's time for an update. The car has been sitting and I still haven't gotten it down to IL to have the AEM tuned. In the meantime I've bolted up the new 3" exhaust system...and it's a world of difference already. Kind of a tight fit between the DP and MP. The old exhaust was a hack job coming off. literally...a sawzall and a hack saw. It seems to be keeping a steadier AFR with the new exhaust on not sure if it's just my imagination. I took it out for a drive and the AFR's were a little wacky but it ran well. I ran it through a few gears up to about 10-12psi and it pulled steady and hard. The only thing is that the turbo doesn't come on until about 4.000 RPM. I'm guessing it could be because of the new 268 ex. cam but it seems pretty late to me.

In other news, I'm pretty damn pissed that I have to go out and re do the timing as i went to tighten the cam gear bolts and the ex cam advanced its self about 10 degrees (one belt notch) and now runs like shit. tried to do it the easy way (whatever that is) but I'm gonna have to jack the engine up again and take the tensioner off and make sure it's done right...I'm taking a break right now...because i dont...want to dooooo it blahhhhhhhhhh. I'll post up some pics soon.

Also, My timing belt has been riding the outside edge and even off the outside edge of the cam gears...doesnt seem right. any Ideas?
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Fixing the timing wasnt too bad...it's amazing that after doing something a few times on these carse how routine it seems. blah. I adjusted the pivoting bolt that holds the timing belt tensioner and I was able to center the timing belt as it rides on the gears...not sure if that's supposed to be adjustable but apparently it is on my engine.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Postby alltracst185 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Can't wait to see what this beast makes for power 8)
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby C-dubb » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 am

It's been a while since I posted in here so I wanted to update. I see a lot of new project threads that i want to take a look at too!

Since I last posted there have been a few changes to my build. Had it tuned, blew a turbo, new turbo, upgraded fuel system, new tune, dynoed, here are the results and an explanation of what I'm doing now to correct an issue that limited us to 300awhp at only 15psi and 48% duty cycle on the fuel injecto

You can see where the ignition cuts out. I thought it would hold out for more power, but apparently not. This is at 15psi. The tune with the new cams and fuel system has a pretty different dynamic, making higher power at lower pressure. (The last time on the dyno the car made 290@22psi)

I upgraded the ignition system. went with a MSD A6, MSD blaster 3 coil, and Magnecor kv85 plug wires. I hope to get it on the dyno again within the next few weeks to see where we are at and if this has corrected the problem. I will include more dyno vids and pics, for some reason the tuner didn't even let us come back while he was working. Doing the tuning ourselves next time.
for now, here are some photos......and let me know what you guys think, any feedback or thoughts on my setup what kind of power im making with it, i welcome any constructive input. thanks.
http://tinypic.com/r/r05uz6/8
http://tinypic.com/r/25u1x/8
http://tinypic.com/r/o0dvk4/8
Attachments
EVO 568.jpg
Idle on new fuel setup
(42.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
EVO 561.jpg
new fuel rail and injectors
(34.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb