Project: Ellie **Big Decision Time...**

88st165

Im glad I didnt go then haha. Im guessing Ian didnt end up driving his 165 after all huh? I bet he was super bummed.

You going to the sno drift event next weekend?

bloodMoney

No he didn't drive. By the time he got back up to his house, it was dark so....

I haven't decided about sno*drift yet. It'll be a 4 hour drive to get there and chances are I'll only be there for saturday if I do go.

~Chris

bloodMoney

So, I've come to crossroad with this car. Since she has been a daily for the last 3 years, the rust has gotten to a point where I'd be better off cutting the floors out of her and welding them to the ST184 chassis I have as my 'parts' car. I honestly just have no will to fix the rust anymore.

I guess I've come to realize the scope of this project and the more I think about it, the more I want to cop out and just find a clean one somewhere down the line. I graduated from school in December and just started my engineering career. In doing so, I've been beginning to look for a more appropriate DD for the wifey and have been leaning hard on the 7th gen (which she hates!).

I was just cruising the FS section and looked at the one in Cali that has NO rust on it... I'm terribly lost and need some guidance from my alltrac brethren. I don't want to let this car go, but as she recently developed a fuel leak and 3rd gear is non-existant, she's just not fun to drive anymore, nor do I feel like trying to fix her.... :bangshead:

UtahSleeper

It sounds like you kind of made the decision.

Honestly, if you see no joy in fixing her and bringing her back I would consider selling to someone who wants a project. Just my 2 cents.

bloodMoney

^true.

Unless someone wanted to turn her into a strictly track car, its going to be really money intensive to pull this car back to safely drivable condition. The sway bar mounts are rusted through, there are several holes in the floorboards, a fuel leak, rusted out rockers, quarters and an a-pillar.

It breaks my heart....

darthripley

as much as it hurts, put your time, money & effort into a chassis that doesn't have rust issues.
i came to that same realization with the 89 MR2 chassis & although it has been & continues to be a silly boatload of work fixing up the 87 Super 2 chassis it is going to be & already is so well worth it.
i'm going to post a photo album on facebook of all the chassis probs the 89 (R2) had so just everyone can see just how bad it was.
it was tough for me to let R2 go - we had him 7 yrs & even tho he lives on in Super 2, a small part of me still misses him.

someone may want your ellie as a track or serious project car so she could live on with someone else who has the drive/time/ambition to make her better than she is now.

bloodMoney

I was hoping you'd drop your $.02 Rip.

The main thing that concerns me is that I've seen these cars go to scrap for much less than Ellie.... Maybe I should just get rid of my parts GTS and put Ellie up so that when I grow up she can be my track car.... Stacy and I have just always said that we would never sell any of our cars. It sounds like a silly promise, but its one that I think I'd be proud if I could keep.

This is mainly why I'm fighting with myself about it.

I've kept the car machanically DD ready up to this point, so all I really need is a clean shell and I'd be able to use nearly everything from Ellie or my spare parts department....

Shadowlife had a clean 165 shell that he was going to pass on to me last year, but things kindof fell through... Now I almost wish they hadn't. I really don't want to start collecting 165s though, because then I'll start to look like that scrappy bastard Dan. :eek:wned:

Anyone know where I can find a clean roller? (Or, who knows anything about registering a salvage title?)

C-dubb

I'd keep it. Let it sit and work on it when you have the time. My dad scrapped my parts st185 while I was in Iraq...for a couple hundred...enfuriated me.

bloodMoney

I probably will keep it and scrap my GTS parts car. I don't think that I could let her go.. She may just end up being what I learn how to weld on :)

I guess this will be the end of this thread for now....

Once we start building GPmarzan's old 165, you'll see another build thread.