New Project: 5VZ-Powered (3.4L V6) Turbo ST185

CodingParadox

I'm doing this so that there is no point of no return - I'm making it so that everything's reversible back to the 3S in case it's just impossible to make decent power on the 5VZ.

ion_four

You should be able to make decent power, though you may have to add forged pistons and do some head work/cams (though, I doubt cams are readily available.) I'm sure it's tuned for pretty low rpm duty, so even if you could only get 400whp, I bet it would be closer to 500lb-ft, at the wheels, which would be a far cry from where you are.

Now, stop taking vacations and build it! (Says the guy who's car has run for like 1 hour in two years.)

CodingParadox

I have verification that the 2.17 nemesis is able to run the V6, so my engine management is solved. I'm working on getting just the plug and play harness from Weasey so that I'll have minimal wiring changes necessary to make it work with the nemesis. I have a wiring harness and it works with every plug except I need a different TPS (mine is 3 wire, the plug is 4 wire). I need to find the 5VZ and tacoma wiring diagrams so I know how to do the fusebox rewiring.

Mechanically, I have almost all the parts together for the 5VZ to be fully assembled. I have the driveshaft, tranny, clutch, TOB, flywheel's on its way in the mail, all engine sensors, ignition coils, etc. So, it's just about ready to go. I need to get the last of the wiring harness stuff for the nemesis, then I can start assembling. =)

CodingParadox

I have a fully dressed 5VZ sitting on a stand in my garage. Unfortunately, my dad keeps blowing up his engines and transmissions on his Miata, so he keeps using up my garage in my little bit of free time. I basically have all the parts at this point, I finally got the nemesis PnP harness (only 3 months after I ordered it...), so it's all ready to start... This whole racing thing I've started doing has been eating every bit of my spare time and money...

CodingParadox

Heh... Still been too busy racing. I was thinking of actually trying to get the tranny to fit onto the engine this weekend, though. I haven't done the necessary grinding yet to make that work, so I should probably get around to it.

One problem I'm going to run into is that I left the tranny outside for a while. It was under an overhang, but the relentless sideways rain of seattle got under the overhang and all exposed non-aluminum has surface rust. The transfer case is detached from the tranny, so basically the shaft that will connect the two is rusted. I don't know how much of a problem that's going to be, but what's done is done at this point, and I'll probbaly just try to throw it together when this finally happens and hope it's just noncritical surface rust.

MR2 Guru

Here are some pics to get you pumped and motivated. This is the 3rd 5VZ MR2 in the world. (#1 and 2 were also performed here).

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

MR2 Guru

Not very, each one was a one-off custom fit unfortunately :(
We'd have to have the engine in front of us for retrofitting.

MR2 Guru

Not as bad as you'd think to be honest. Also, the engine overall, aside from height, fits better in the engine bay than the 3sgte. Without the turbo, you could sit on the transmission to work on the engine. Its is reminiscent of working on an old classic car/truck.

Here is the engine bay before the turbo installation:

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0447.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

Amazing how much room is left to play with... :) Hence the turbo!

I totally mixed this up by the way. This car is #2 in the world, the third incorporated a custom intake manifold that made the engine look half the size of this one. Examine the intake manifold, then imagine the engine in there without it. You can picture how much room that manifold takes up, and how much more room there was to boot with a shorter velocity-style manifold.

Here are the shots of #3 with the A2W and intake manifold installed:
obj2geo2pg1p76.jpg

obj1geo1pg1p76.jpg

And video:
http://www.v6mr2.com/V6t.wmv Car #3

http://www.mr2guru.com/phoenix/videos/stt.wmv Car #1

TY to Node for the guts/glory and pics... he has since converted to the Lotus side, and he will be missed!

CodingParadox

Wow, that manifold + intercooler looks exactly like how I was hoping to do this... Hm. What intercooler is that? Also, do you guys have any dyno plots? I'm trying to figure out how big of a turbo to put on this thing.

MR2 Guru

Nix on the dyno plots.. I could never talk Jim into it.

The core is actually XS Power (SSAutoCrap). It treated him pretty well and he never had any complaints.