ST165 Project Body Swap (56k Warning)

Letze

This is my 88 All trac, And the only pre 90's Celica in my entire area... :D

So its a unique car for me, I bought it from a friend of mine at Virginia Tech about 2-3 months ago, it wonderful little bugger, currently has a starter issue, and a fuel leak.

here's a little bit of the car's background, It was originally a DD for some guy then he hit a mailbox or something and put it up for sale, my friend bought it tried his best to fix the damage and then rebuilt the motor. after it was solid again he used it as a fun track car for AX and some small stuff. he got more involved and bought an Impreza WRX and left this little piece to sit in a parking lot at the VT dorms for 9 or more months... then I came in. I was in search of an AWD vehicle at the time scouring for an older Impreza with no luck one day I spot the AWD celica for sale and I jumped on it. Went down looked at it, couldn't get it started, but knowing the engine alone (if running) would be worth more than what I paid I took the gamble and bought it. It took me a month before I could get it hauled an hour back to my home then another month and a half before I actually did any work :p

as of now I'm mid way of "cleaning" the car, taking up the carpet soon and praying there's no rust.

Here's some pictures of where I'm currently at on cleaning the car (it had been unlocked in a dorm parking lot, and used as storage by the owner and a friend, old and broken parts and trash from it were littered all over the place.)

Is there any way to fix this? is it salvageable?

To do list (Body):
CLEAN and I mean CLEAN the interior, making it look mint
Sand and Rustolium spray Black the rear inside.
Either Find an 86 passenger light or Find an 88 drivers headlight and grill
Sand and Prime the whole thing
New Windshield
Paint Black :D

To Do list (Mechanical):
Figure out how to install the Starter mod and then install it (http://st162.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236)
Install new O-Rings on the Fuel injectors (and check for other possible leaks)
Install Short Ram Intake (need to fabricate aluminum pipe w/ 2 nipples )

Next update will be Tuesday, I hope to have the new o-rings in and if that solves my fuel leak I'll have a video as well

for now I prepare for work for the next 4 days 9am-9pm

Snyder

I have a mint interior for this car. Its the dark blue cloth interior with black dashboard and black carpet. I can sell you the whole thing if you are interested. I also have those blue door panels I could sell you to get rid of those holes that are there. Please pm me and we can talk more!

Thanks,

Chris Snyder

Letze

If its anything I'm good at its fabricating, I appreciate the offer, only thing I would really want mint on the car would be the steering wheel...

I'm puting a stereo back in the car, lightweight one, so those holes will be covered up with speakers :D

I've got new seats coming from across the state should be here in a week or so :D

and if it wasn't obvious the passenger seat isn't bolted in atm... I'll be working all this afternoon but its all for a good cause

My budget on basic restoration caps at 2k (I have a friend painting it for me so, that isn't going to be part of that expense :D)

Right now I've only spent 675 give or take thats for the car itself, gas, transport, and storage :D so I'm feeling lucky.

new seats are 375, got some new fenders coming soon along with a replacement set of headlights and celica badge to make it look nicer haven't gotten a total on that yet. stereo looks to be about 150 bucks (full set :D)

After that I'll be on a different budget... a modding budget :D

If any one has any tips on if I can restore that sunroof or where I can get a replacement! let me know!

CrazyAchmed

PM Mafix and see if he still has his extra sunroof. I don't think we threw it away. Was in alot better shape than that one, but still had some cancer. Not much if I remember right.

Letze

Any one put a hood scoop on their car? I dont have AC and I was wondering if its worth trying, I also want to mount a camera on the roof, and this would allow for a spot to :D aswell as keep my ass full of breeze!

I was going to do some body work today and it just led to pain and suffering :(

I removed both of the fenders (at least one bold broke on each side wile removing each side...) which caused a severe pain in my side.

Then I found cancer... wile I was really just going to work on cleaning this up with bondo... I just pulled the fenders off threw them in my parents' van (since my daily driver's tranny died Monday)

Before the pictures though, I Want to ask some questions, I was going all around town asking about replacements dealerships and body shops (shops were no help), and then there are 3 scrap yards in my area... I talked to the guys at the closest one and they had nothing celica 86-89

I spent some time online searching, and so far I've only found this http://www2.partstrain.com/products/Sho ... D-001.html

Any one ever delt with them or have any opinion? even after shipping its much less than the dealership wanted for one new fender:D

Now on with the show, Pictures of Failure...

The Painted Black parts are rusted all the way through (for the most part) the lip on the bottom one is rusted enough to be a future problems but not enough to cause any visible wear or structural weakness...
The mount for the body kit is also rusted 100% through... I'm going to get a new mount fabricated for it, unfortunately I'm not that good so I can't

(image shack is broken ATM... more pictures later!)

Letze

name change...

I'm going to share a bit of my all to late discoveries...

After talking to Mafix about some parts I mentioned that my bumper was crooked because of the DIY repair done by my friend when he owned it...

Well right then he said its probably time to look for a new frame... and well It looks like thats the new game plan. the non cosmetic frame is in good enough condition to drive, so wile Mafix dismantles Ashley's frame I'm getting my engine in top running order.

Which means fix fuel leak and wire the starter fix even though I'll end up redoing it :p

Pictures...

Unloading... Glad we have 2 hauling vehicles... ish

The frame if you pay attention the wheels are aligned but the front end if off by a fair amount :(

Heres a closeup of the off side, with my well worn Hankook R-S2's :p (yes thats my sock...)

If any one wants to give me some tips on swaps of this scale please tell me! the whole car will be overhauled so aside from engine the car will look almost brand new.

also picked these up, from a guy who was returning his civic stock, since no rails (for less than 100 dollars) exist I'm getting custom one fabricated this ended up saving me 250 bucks on seats!

CrazyAchmed

Most of the chassis info you are looking for can be found on Mafix's thread on ST162.com as I'm sure you found out. Him and I did all of the work on that.

Letze

WOOO WOOOHHH!

I have officially come up with a name for my All-Trac, "The Wolf"

Why? well with my daily (the sonata) and my moms Nissan Quest sorta looking like pigs, and well the Chevy suburban being a pig on gas, Why couldn't they be the three little pigs? and what would the three little pigs be without a wolf?

But jokes aside, the exhaust needs replacing, its been tipped and it drowned out the sound of my friends 350 Chevy V8 (hence wolf...)

But she's running solidly now, no fuel leaks so I'm very happy :D hopefully I can wire the starter stuff soon and take her out for a spin, (not on the streets, I think I'd be pulled over in a second and a half :p)

Loud exhaust... no inspection... no county tax sticker... oh broken windshield doesn't help my case much either... :p

Today was fun though, I learned a lot more about the inner workings of my car and I feel like I'm more fit to be an All-Trac owner after doing the work myself, I also want to thank my friend for coming over to inspect for more problems and make sure I didn't do anything wrong.

I'm feeling more confident with the swap now, I'm not at full "BRING IT ON!" stage but after I learn more through the engine maintenance I'll be ready :D

Once I finish changing out my fluids tomorrow I hope to take it out and royally tear up my neighbors yard :D or not... maybe I'll just test it a little in the driveway :p since if I stall out I'm boned :p

skitzo 4 snow

thats sick! i myself have an 88 all trac but mines blue with a bit more rust, im swaping the engine out and i gotta replace the fenders and my door seal is rusted through so im gana have to send it to the body shop, and plus reding the interior. but i like waht youv done with yours its nice to see 88 all tracs on here. post more pics once your done

RedCelicaTRD

I thought I'd seen your car before. It used to belong to mtbgael. Good to see it went to someone who wants to fix it.

A picture from its past life. :wink:

PICT1313smallnoplates.JPG