Mike's '92 ST185 Teal in New York (Daily Driving It)

Talk about your project car here

Re: Mike's '92 ST185 Teal in New York (Daily Driving It)

Postby mike325ci » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 am

aus jd 2703 wrote:Mike don't scrap the coilover ideas just buy good ones.
I swear my mate 185 with teins is all most stock smooth but firmer spring rates then my bouncy bc coilovers! So I feel quality makes a difference in this instance

You're saying the Teins > BC ?? Interesting... Teins are no longer made, though, right? Well, I need to examine the carnage first to see how many of my shocks are actually blown and then go from there. The new toy took all my free/car time this weekend. ;)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby darthripley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:30 am

It's tough to say "no" to so many cars I see for sale that I'd love to buy, own & mod but I have to be practical & keep my eye on the prize as far as saving up as much as possible for a new house with garage. As long as we have an AW11 & a trac then I am happy. I simply can't & couldn't go without owning & driving an AW11. It's a unique experience owning one but Joe & I have had in one way shape or form for over 10 yrs now all b/c we couldn't afford an AE86 as a project car back then lol

I love the Sherwood color scheme, very classic :)
Is he a hardtop?
I see he has a momo steering wheel, TRD ball shifter w/TRD short shift kit maybe & i'm guessing he's got uprated front & rear sway bars (high & tight or suspension techniques) and hopefully some twosrus endlinks in the rear.

Do you know the width & offset of the RPF01s on the car?

Coilover brand does make a difference to some extent, as well as the kg spring rate. Tein SS have a nicer ride than the old Tein HA. The SS are still made to my knowledge. HA was discontinued many years ago. I don't know the spring rates off the top of my head but if you can't find them lmk & I can look in my Hyper Rev.
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby LegacyofDan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm

mmm <3 the AW :)
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby Sifu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:20 pm

I always knew you'd get another AW11.
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby mike325ci » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:56 am

Here's my latest update-- worked on the car this past weekend when it was really warm out (50s here in New York):

http://www.coruxgroup.com/go/ST185/whee ... 4-project/

Cliff Notes Version:
1. Shocks themselves are fine: not all shocks are supposed to "pop back out" when compressed! (Difference between hydraulic vs. gas shocks)
2. Rear Right shaft threading stripped-- either fix or replace. -- Keeping Koni Yellows all around-- not going coilovers route (unless a nice used set of Teins or BCs show up (let me know if you find any! :)) )
3. Front Left Wheel Bearings will be replaced
4. Brake Pads will be replaced to Porterfield R4S
5. Loose gland nut was causing the mysterious front right clunking (90% sure)

I'm currently waiting for a few more parts-- hopefully the next warm/warm-ish weekend I'll put all this back together and get the car back on the road. The MR2 makes a terrible winter car, I need my Celica back!!
NYC, NY, USA
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby mike325ci » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:19 am

Sorry, just getting back to responding now:

darthripley wrote:I love the Sherwood color scheme, very classic :)
Is he a hardtop?
I see he has a momo steering wheel, TRD ball shifter w/TRD short shift kit maybe & i'm guessing he's got uprated front & rear sway bars (high & tight or suspension techniques) and hopefully some twosrus endlinks in the rear.

Do you know the width & offset of the RPF01s on the car?

Yes, the color scheme is growing on me. I like how the bottom color accentuates the wheel flares (and rust)... It still looks black to me, unless under really bright light you can tell it's dark green... Yes, it's a hardtop. Yes, I actually replaced the wheel and shift knob as soon as I got it: Momo Competition + Momo Hub + TRD Round knob (hey it's cheap). The car already came with almost every goody I would have put in it anyways because like I said, the previous owner was an autocrosser and had set up the car for it: Jon-O short shifter kit, ST front sway bar, H&T rear sway bars, TwosRUs endlinks, Poly bushings all around + steering rack + motor mounts, SS Brake Lines, Porterfield R4S Brake Pads w/ATE Blue fluid, AMR Engineering coilovers, Brake booster brace, Quaife Steering Rack, Small glassmat battery, Pacesetter Quad-tip Exhaust, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting...

Oh, the wheels are Kosei K1 TS 15x7 with 205/50/15 Bridgestone RE-11s. I believe the offset is +32 on those. I actually like the wheels (lightweight and cheap) so I plan on keeping them.

Engine is totally stock, even has stock air box which I'm actually just going to keep (my old MR2 had a K&N cone filter). I believe the TVIS is disconnected, from looking at the dyno plot that she gave me (no 4300rpm dip like on a stock 4AGE w/TVIS). I've been literally driving it almost every weekend around town. Although the summer tires are terrible in the snow/ice, and the car feels way too stiff on our terrible roads, it's a blast to drive.
NYC, NY, USA
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby tpell1221 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 am

hey man just wanna give you a shout i live in queens and have a 92 trac with some bcs if you ever wanted to check em out
tpell1221
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:06 am

A feature on mike's car: https://youtu.be/tx_NocMmxB0
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Mr Alltrac » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm

From that video I gathered the following info.....

Mike has had that car way to long, and it's time to come to my house :D

Nice looking car, I was looking for that color forever but couldn't find an alltrac with it. My old 92 gts was the same color and it looks fantastic when it's clean.
Mr Alltrac
Club Member

Postby MARLON1211 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:29 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:A feature on mike's car: https://youtu.be/tx_NocMmxB0

Hey Josh,
I saw the Youtube video interview with my friend Mike Choi. Hes such a cool dude and has an awesome Alltrac plus more.. He has a lot of knowledge with them but most importantly ours. He did mentioned me the guy from Jersey.
Keep up the good work you two.

thanks
SO BE IT
MARLON1211
Established Member

Previous

Return to My Project