Mike's '92 ST185 Teal in New York (Daily Driving It)

Talk about your project car here

Re: '92 ST185 Teal - (Mild Restoration done 11/08/09) - Ongoing

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 pm

You know, this thread needs a nice profile shot of your car. Looking good so far.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: '92 ST185 Teal - (Mild Restoration done 11/08/09) - Ongoing

Postby Terracar » Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm

LegacyofDan wrote:mmm mud flaps! me like! lol...:)

Yeah you would.

Mike very nice work.

-Terracar
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Re: Mike's '92 ST185 Teal in New York (More boost coming~)

Postby cozmic512 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Car is looking great Mike.
nice work, and a lot of it.

and I know you might be losing your storage and workplace soon,
but you can always have a place to work out by me.
the only problem is the 45 min drive... :wink:

see you soon
regards,
Cory
92 ST185
cozmic512
Club Member

Postby Terracar » Thu May 13, 2010 7:20 pm

You can also store it at my place too.... you know, if you don't mind a few thousand mile trip. I would make sure it got driven once in a while to keep the engine fresh. :wink:

-Terracar
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Postby mike325ci » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 am

Hehe, thanks for the words, folks... I should check on my own thread once in a while LOL. So not much going on in my car life. Lots of things happening in my personal life this year, so I've been a bit MIA. Still unsure about my garage situation. But I put my BMW up on the market. People who don't "get it" don't understand why I don't sell my Celica (an older car by 8 years) and keep the BMW for all-around "daily driver" duties. I guess that's the sensible thing to do. But the emotional thing is that it will be very hard to find another ST185 like this one and I am more attached to this car and it's unique. BMWs are a dime a dozen. So that's that-- I'll be down to 2 cars, maybe even 1 (gasp, I know, but I *might* sell the Exige too, if my racing life/schedule continues almost non-existent as it has been lately....)

Back on topic! I finally got to my car this past weekend (and drove an uneventful 110 miles): I finally wired up a power cable from the battery into the cabin, routed to a distribution block, and to all the internal electronics I had installed. I also hooked up my Koso boost gauge finally!

So the stock boost gauge isn't terrible: You can't get any readings off of it since there is no markings, except for the ZERO, and actually that is the only time the stock boost gauge is accurate (like a broken clock is right twice a day)... But it's slow to respond (when boost drops off, the aftermarket gauge shows it immediately, the stock gauge is slow to move). So that's what I noticed. I seem to be peaking at 10 to 10.5psi max, so I guess that's good. Now that's done, next on my list is to hook up the boost controller and DIY fuel cut defenser which I made but didn't splice into the wiring yet. Also, I notice the car is starting to sit lower now: I think the springs have started to settle a bit...

In a few weeks I have a roadtrip up to Canada for the annual MR2 Meet there (taking my Exige) (http://www.ontariomr2club.com/CMR2E/CMR2E.htm), so I'm definitely looking forward to that. That means, no work on the Celica until after that, which realistically might be August >< Hehe...

Oh yeah, I finally bought and installed vented rear tails on the car too (finally!):
Last edited by mike325ci on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby alltracst185 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:48 am

Looks clean bro :D
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby LegacyofDan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:59 am

haha i def LOL'ed at that broken clock comment being accurate only twice a day ...haha oh man...

sorry to hear that you gotta sell the beemer but now you can dedicate more love to the trac and the beast.

btw you should go to hyperfest this weekend if you can man!
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby mike325ci » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks :) I had a good trip to/from Canada for the MR2 meet with the Exige. I corded my rear tires at the track, and had to scramble to find replacement tires that could be mounted that day. I lucked out, got Falken RT-615s and went out for a few more track sessions (and the autocross the next day and of course back home), lol... I also got to meet a few Canadian GT-Four/AllTrac owners :) My photos (not that much) are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mike325ci/1 ... ngston2010

Anyways, back on topic: I finally got to work a little bit more on the car this past weekend.

7/17 ~ 7/18/2010

(1) Coolant Flush: I had run the Prestone Radiator Flush for the past ~400 miles, and did another complete reverse flush and filled with Dex-Cool. I changed the thermostat (with Gates Racing 170F) and radiator cap (with a JDM ARC 1.3bar :smokes: ), and changed 3 of the coolant hoses. I didn't do the HFH or the back long ones yet. The hoses were hard to do and I cut my hand up pretty badly doing it.

(2) Boost Controller: While I had stuff off the coolant hose change, I hooked up the rest of my AVC-R (hoses to/from the wastegate actuator). I found a good place to mount up the solenoid valve-- I drilled four holes into the site of the bottom of the stock airbox and it fit perfectly and it's very secured. I know most of you don't run stock airboxes any more, but I thought I'd share that. The pressure sensor I mounted next to my sender for my boost gauge, on the right side firewall, and T-tapped the boost gauge's vacuum line. I have not yet hooked up the wiring to the ECU. That might be this weekend's project.

(3) Interior: I mounted my Koso boost gauge properly in the steering column surround plastic. I need to redo the wiring to the distribution block as the wires for the gauge are too thin and has slipped out once already. Also find a more secure place to ziptie/mount the boost gauge's computer/box thing. It's sitting above the pedals under the dash now, but I think I'll put them where the fuse panel is, that way I can access the "Peak" and "Warn" buttons easily.

I took photos but I forgot to take the CF Card out and bring it with me, so I don't have any to upload :( I'll post up later.
NYC, NY, USA
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby mike325ci » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:27 am

Photos posted: http://picasaweb.google.com/mike325ci/1 ... eMountAVCR

including photos such as:
AVC-R Solenoid Mounted to Stock Airbox Bottom:

Koso Boost Gauge, custom mounted:

Thermostat replacement -- had to file down the end of this bolt to enable the housing to slide out (A/C Compressor has a bolt sticking out and there is no way to take it out without filing it down (or removing the compressor)):

---- Also, today 7/25/2010 I did about an hour's worth of work:
1. Finally hooked up my DIY Fuel Cut Defenser. Did a clean install using wire harness. The instructions I had were for an MR2 and the wiring color for my Turbo Pressure Sensor was different, but luckily I was able to find it in the Electrical Wiring Diagram (for 1993). The VC line is pink and the PIM line is red and the GROUND line is brown, FYI. I didn't get a chance to test it, just soldered it up and that was it.

2. It got too dark outside, but I was going to wire up the AVC-R to the ECU harness. I'm also going to use a 6-wire harness to make a clean install. Allows for disconneting the AVC-R if needed and it's just cleaner that way. Also going to convert my soldered two wires to the ECU harness from the Turbo Timer to use a 2-wire harness as well so that it's cleaner. That's next weekend. :)
NYC, NY, USA
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Get us a lighted gauge and dash shot if you don't mind.
Coldiron
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby mike325ci » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:20 am

7/31/2010

I finished wiring up the AVC-R to the ECU harness and everything seems to working fine now. Also cleaned up the wiring for my boost gauge. I will need to read up more and tune the AVC-R properly. I just set a "baseline" using settings that someone here posted up in a thread about the AVCR, but I think it needs adjustment. For example, in my "B" setting for 1.1kg/cm2, I am maxing out boost at 12psi (my gauge is showing me)-- which is lower. Also I can't seem to hit full boost in 1st gear, only in 2nd gear+. However, the car really scoots now. I love it~!

CMS-GT4 wrote:Get us a lighted gauge and dash shot if you don't mind.

More photos from today here in my album:
--> http://picasaweb.google.com/mike325ci/1 ... ngComplete

I took a few more photos of it when it just started getting dark. The white LED of the Koso gauge is very blue/white. The incandescent bulbs in my gauge cluster (I just took off the green condoms) is very yellow in comparison: I will definitely have to do the LED swap-- going for white. I am curious to see how the colors match once I do that. Thing is, the Koso gauge, when on (which is whenever the key is in the "On" position), is lit all the time (whether day or night), and the intensity is not adjustable. I really like the Peak/Warn function on it: had it set at 12psi on my first test run and it flashes a red LED when I hit that mark, very visible in my peripheral vision. The peak function, I used, to see what my peak boost was from the various settings of my boost controller. Overall, for the price, a nice unit.

My niece says, "This Celica is too sloooow: More boost, Uncle Mike!!" Hmmm, I think I agree... :P
NYC, NY, USA
mike325ci
Gold Member

Re: Mike's '92 ST185 Teal in New York (Boosted via AVC-R now)

Postby klue » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:06 am

Hey Mike,
Great work man!

I know that face on your niece, it says "I made a DOOKIE"

HAHAHA

Luke
facebook.com/xiiimotorsports
#xiiimotorsports ON instagram
klue
GTFour God

Postby darthripley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:17 pm

the boost gauge looks nice installed Mike.
having a boost gauge with peak/warning function is very nice - i'm totally spoiled by it in both Vadar & R2.

once you get white LEDs in your gauge cluster it will match the boost gauge a lot better.
i think you'll also like looking at the cluster better at night too. LEDs are more pleasant to look at imo.
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks mike.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby mike325ci » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks Luke, Keri... No problem, Josh. If you're on the fence about the Koso gauges, I say just do it-- they are quality units for the price! I know, you have other bigger issues to take care of on your car, but I'm just saying... :)

Well, since I'm in a "don't buy anything new for the car, just install all the goodies you bought long time ago" mode, the LEDs will have to wait, hehe... That means next big item on my to-do list is the ST205 WTA setup... I think I'm going to revisit your build thread, Keri & Joe, and see what things I need to do to prepare for the intercooler swap/install...

I'm thinking about the next autocross event I want to bring my Celica to, so I can test it with the added boost and increased caster setting. I think I'll make a trip down to Philly August 29th for the SCCA event there - http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/index.html -- it's at a WWII bomber airstrip site which is nice and big and grippy and it's been a while since I've raced there... I see that we have a meet the weekend before outside of the Washington DC area, but I probably won't be making a trip south two weeks in a row, esp. with so much household things to take care of lately...

However, I might just end up taking my Lotus to Philly, though, since if anything happens to my Celica 5 hours from home, I won't be stranded... So that means I'll just take my Celica to a local (30 minutes away) autocross some other time.

If anyone is around Philly the last weekend of this month, let me know (Dan??? Free ride in an Exige, come on! :smokes: )
NYC, NY, USA
mike325ci
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project