88st165's alltracs

Talk about your project car here

Postby 88st165 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 pm

here is a better pic of the switch panel and finished air box.... i do have a prosport water temp gauge on the way.... i just ordered one to see how it is.... if im satisfied with the visibility during the day then ill go ahead and buy oil press and oil temp or maybe fuel press....

Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Red st165 - Garage Queen turned wannabe track rat
White st165 - slapping back together and hoping for the best
Black st165 - gone
2011 FA5 - Family Truckster
88st165
Established Member

Postby sbart83 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:35 am

that red one is awesome!
88' St165 #7114
91' Ford E250 Econoline
check out Myspace.com/Machinegunvendetta !
sbart83
Club Member

Postby 88st165 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:10 am

^thanks

i still have many parts to install this year:
-superpro bushing kit
-rc intercooler
-erebuni wrc hood vent
-prosport gauges
-aeromotive afpr
-walbro pump
-bored rail
-witchhunter serviced injectors
- im sure im forgetting something, oh well

(the white 165 has an even bigger list but ill post that up later)

these are the most recent pics i have from an autocross last year: (the chicagoland vw club has an awsome photographer)

and a before pic for giggles from the first day i got the car, few years and many thousands for dollars ago........
Last edited by 88st165 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby 88st165 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm

just finished up installing my prosport white/amber water temp gauge... the visibility of the gauge in the daytime is good, much better than i thought it would be... im going to order the oil pressure and fuel pressure sometime soon... im not sure if my placement of the sending unit is optimal but it will have to do for now...

erebuni hood vent: not bad for $50

i changed my mind and im going to go ahead and mold in into the hood rather than using bolts...
Last edited by 88st165 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby Celicatuner92 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:27 pm

i like the look of your car it is kinda evil.

on another note maybe i will have to come out and autocross with you this year. do you know a guy that runs a saturn that looks oriental his name is Wes but he has come to the local auto cross here a few times
90 St185_DD actual car seen on tirerack.com
90 St185_ race car
92 Celica Gt_Runnig
Celicatuner92
Club Member

Postby 88st165 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 am

^thanks... oh man i forgot that you were in the chicagoland... yeah you should def come autocrossing... and if you know of any events around your area then maybe ill try to go to those too if they are open to anyone... i dont remember seeing a saturn but if you had a pic of the car then i would prob remember if i did...

yeah i look im trying to go for with the car is a clean-sleeper'ish look... the kind that makes you think that maybe its fast or maybe its not... that way im always the underdog and when you're the underdog the kill is that much sweeter...
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby 88st165 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:52 am

ok small update.

red trac:
-installed new front wheel bearings
-white line anti-lift/caster bushings in the front
-finished installing the gauges
-basically tearing it up on the autox courses.

white trac:
-completed the rust removal
-removed all the factory undercoat
-painted the entire underside of the car, inside floor, and wheel wells with por15. then duplicolor truck bedliner on top of the por15 haha.
-removed cracked windsheild
-changed clutch again, this time i went with oem instead of spec, its just a daily driver

-primered and painted super white II.

_paint was omni single stage. it is the cheapest ppg line i believe (remember this is on a budget). i sprayed it with a cheap harbor freight hlvp gun. trust me i know what you are thinking. i know a few paint and body guys who cringed when i told them that but after it was all done they were impressed for what i had to work with. it had some orange peel but it all wetsanded and buffed out really nice. better than any macco job ive seen.

the rust repair and painting the por15 took what seemed to be an eternity. dont get por15 on your skin b/c it wont come off for a while. its safe to say that while im not afraid of rust, im not entirely sick of dealing with it.

the car is prob about 85% complete. still searching for a fender. still need to get a sunroof seal from toyota. still need to get a windsheild. and of course i need to put the body kit on and finish the interior.

this restoration basically took up all my summer. i worked countless 10+hr days on it. my neighbors think im crazy and often times expressed anger when they hear the compressor go of in odd hours of the night. hopefully i can finish it before the winter so i can enjoy the fruits of my labor and tear up some rallyx courses.

thats all the pics i have right now. those are about two months old. i havent touched the cars since the semester started back up b/c the work load i have is enormous. i still open the garage from time to time and just check up on them haha.
Last edited by 88st165 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby GT4times2 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:17 am

Looking real good. Man, you guys are pushing these projects. Im loving it. Gotta get my butt and move on too and finish some of these. I'd love to see closer shots of the paint job. The main reason I love white, more forgiving than most colors. Looks sweet. Did you paint your engine bay as well? Please take some close up shots. Thanks.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE (The Daily Pacifier)
05 Toyota Avalon XLS
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member

Postby LegacyofDan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:22 pm

slick job man it looks good, boy it sure was a while since u last updated lol...i should bring my car by ya instead of macco lol :P
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 pm

How did you mount the stereo in the red car? Did you make custom brackets to get it that low?
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby Kcman91gts » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:45 pm

Thats just what i was wondering , because that is a very unique setup and was going to do the same thing with my 184 DIN cubby ... they have a set of DIN gauges on 935motorsports i dont 550 bucks for them or else i would try them out , and they dont list wether their mechanical or electric .. im not a fan of the mechanical ones..

also what kind of paint gun are you using , i was going to paint my car myself with my air compressor but its only a 17 gallon , 150psi max tank and no inline filter for moisture ..

i want a gravity feed spraygun but cant find if a pickup type would do just fine .
Kcman91gts
Club Member

Postby 88st165 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:33 pm

GT4times2, ill try and get some up close shots for you next week. i do remember trying to take some but they didnt turn out good with my cheap point and shoot camera, though it could have been the wrong time of the day to get a good shot.

RedCelicaTRD, the radio is mounted where the ashtray used to be in the red car. the radio cage fit nicely into the opening and i used the two screws that used to hold the ashtray chassis to secure it. it is solid and you couldnt even take the radio out unless you took off that whole center panel with it.

Kcman91gts, im using a cheap harbor freight tools hvlp gravity feed gun. i did it with the bare minimum but i focused on the prepwork more than the equipment. i didnt have a water filter. i sprayed with the garage door wide open b/c urethane is some crazy strong stuff. i dont even think my air compressor is 17 gal but with a hvlp gun you arent using that much air, my compressor didnt cycle on and off that much.

i will say that white is harder to spray than you think. the first coat is easy but every coat after that is hard. because its white you can see where you painted as easily as other colors. i made that mistake and put some major runs on one side of the car. but painting solid colors makes it super easy to wetsand and do it again.

the whole paintjob prob cost me alittle over $300+ and thats everything from tape, paper, paint gun, plastic, sand paper, sanding blocks, mixing cups, hardeners, reducers, 3qts of paint (have alot leftover), 3qts of primer/sealer but it was already reduced, etc.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby Kcman91gts » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Ahhh see thats where i would get caught , i dont know all that reducer and the real make ups of a paint job what to use and when .. i can do body work and thats not really an issue for me but i ended up pulling up some of my carpet when i was putting in the lumbar seat and that frikin foam shit they put under the carpet that after a while holds all moisture and my seams on my floor are starting to get surface rust ..

so i figure im going to try to get as much of my car done and painted as i can .. but i had no idea that much work was ever involved .. i thought it was basically just sand down the exterior paint , paper and tape everything off you dont want to get sprayed , mix your paint into the gun , spray , clear coat .. maybe ill leave it to a professional..
Kcman91gts
Club Member

Postby 88st165 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 am

Me and my friend Doug tackled this project in three days. Its a decent amount of fabrication and test fitting to do something like this. Plus it really suck when its cold outside!

We bought all the raw materials and fabricated the kit from scratch. All the piping and flanges and material for the manifold adapter is 304 stainless steel.

Turbo is a garrett to4e 57 trim turbo with a .63ar turbine housing.

The thing I didnt get a picture of was how Doug modified the pulse converter of the manifold. It looks really nice but its all for improvement of flow, after all he is an engine development engineer. Im just a mechanical engineering student so I have lots to learn still.

The car pulls so hard compared to the ct27. Taking it all the way to redline in 4th gear we were seeing a/f in the 12's and with the water injection engaged (200cc nozzle running alcohol/washer fluid mix) the a/f were in the 11's.
Last edited by 88st165 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black st165 - gone
88st165
Established Member

Postby mx6er2587 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 am

is that stainless adapter welded directly to the cast iron manifold? That's typically not recommended and can crack if not done properly. I'd watch that and check for cracks every now and then. Although it sounds like your friend knows what hes doing. Any particular reason you guy didn't just make it a bolt on adapter?

other then that the kit looks great. That downpipe makes me want to redo mine. Its currently a hacked up ebay downpipe and its mig welded. Doesn't even compare to those nice tig welds. It did only take 2 hours to build though.

Are you running an open dump pipe or do you have it plumbed back into the exhaust somewhere? Water cooled turbo or just oil?
mx6er2587
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project