Re: Eric's 92 (Running and Dyno'd with updated pics)

EricGT4

I pulled the cap off of the cam journal and the journal itself is ruined as well as the cam. This problem is obviously been caused by a lack of lubrication. The motor was just put in so I am thinking that maybe they didn't prime the motor and just cranked it up, during the initial start up this thing probably got real Hot and once there was room for vibration it just rattled into busted up.

Trance4c

I am sorry to hear that man. Unfortunately I don't trust just anyone with my swap or 3S-GTE. I live in FL and ship all the way to CA for good machine work. Joshua at Chico raceworks has done one rebuild, and one full build for me, both of which have been spectacular. Best of luck man!

EricGT4

So I am going to try to throw a new cap on it as far fetched as that its. From what I can tell the top of the cap is the only place that there was damage probably because the only time there was hard friction was when the valves were open so all the pressure was on the top.

I also got a few new things. Since I pulled my valve cover off in these ordeal I decided that it was a good time to get it powder coated.

IMG00037.jpg

And then purchased

EGR block off plates
NGK spark plug wires
MSD Blaster coil
550cc Supra Injectors
Walboro fuel pump

EricGT4

It'sunning now. I just got a really crappy throttle body adapter with my Bay Area kit that was pressed in and not welded so it keeps poping off. I'll get it welded tomorrow.

EricGT4

Wow after driving this thing around for about 3 hours I realize that I really don't like my exhaust. Its the apexi dunk and good lord is this thing loud. It kind of confuses me when I am driving because it will seem like the car is screaming so ill shift and suddenly ill be super bogged down, then shift back and realize that I was only at 2800 rpm. I'm pretty sure that my next step is going to be taking this thing off and getting a good deep sounding quietish sounding exhaust.

EricGT4

And I was driving today. I got a really quick grinding sound for about 1/2 a second and the car died. I can't start it so i think that the head locked up and the timing belt came off.

EricGT4

Yeah well I should have known better and just replaced the head in the first place instead of trying to get out cheap. You live and you learn I guess. The sad part is that I am back in Germany.

I am looking at a 3rd gen rebuilt head that looks really clean. I am just wondering what all I will need that is different to make this head work with my set up. From what I have read it looks like I will just need a gen3 exhaust manifold. Is this correct?

I also have one other thing. I already got the original valve cover powder coated so I shouldn't have to switch this out and use the 3rd gen one will I?

All the input possible is greatly appreciated.

After all the shit I have been through with this thing I can't believe I haven't given up yet.

LegacyofDan

i cant help much but i do know that the gen 3 are 4 runner intake manifolds without the TVIS, while gen 1 and 2 are w/ TVIS hense 8 runner, therefore u will need a intake manifold i believe...and i think the gen 3's use a COP design or maybe that is the caldina(ST215, gen 4)...not 100% sure but if it is the gen 3 with COP u will need to figure out how u are going to deliver a spark...thats all i can help with bro :)

Kcman91gts

Can any shop do the powder coating is that something special that you have to have sent out ? what would something like that cost and do you get a discount if you have more than 1 part coated.

EricGT4

Well there was a local place that I took it to when I was on leave but it cost me 100 bucks. It came out really well I just don't want to pay to get another one done.

silence

EricGT4":39nyxan6 said:
Well there was a local place that I took it to when I was on leave but it cost me 100 bucks. It came out really well I just don't want to pay to get another one done.
sell yours for $100.
I powder coated mine black, I didn't like the look, sold it for the same price i paid, and got a new one powder coated red.

EricGT4

A small update on the car. I have been collecting the parts necessary to get it running again. Unfortunately another speed bump in this train wreck that is my project is that it was broken into the other night resulting in a broken window, a door that doesn't open, a missing stereo amp, a wrecked stereo dash unit and a turbo timer hanging halfway out. I have an extremely large distaste for thieves and I would pay the money to go home and whoop some ass if I knew who did it.

On the bright side is that I found a reliable guy to swap the head out with my new one. And here is an updated mod list.

Motor:
Rebuilt 3sgte bottom end and newly rebuild head.
- KO Racing SB .50
- TTE Head gasket and ARP Head Studs
- HKS Valve Springs
- Blitz 264 Cams
- AEM Cam Gears
- 2 1/2 inch exhaust
- EGR block off
- MSD Ignition coil
- ATS Bored out stock Fuel rail and FPR upgrade
- 550cc injectors
- Bay Area FMIC with what I think is an apexi BOV (can't remember)
- Fidanza Light Weight Flywheel
- ACT 6 Puck unsprung Clutch
- AEM ECU
- Turbo Timer
- ATS Throttle body adapter

Suspension and others:
- Unknown brand lowering springs
- Koni adjustable shocks
- 15mm spacers front
- 25mm spacers rear
- 18 inch Rota Sub Zero Wheels on Nitto 555s
- Steel braided brake lines
- Cusco Front Strut bar

Future Mods:
- TWM short shifter
- Wilwood big brake kit
- Cusco under body brace
- Cusco rear strut bar
- Some Momo interior look goods
- New Tires
- Upgraded intake manifold
- Clock down turbo
- Ceramic coat exhaust manifold and hot side housing

There my be more that I am forgetting right now but, I'll update it if i remember what is missing.

Olli

Good job with ur car, looking forward to see some videos when u get it running :) Hopefully u'll get a bit luckier with this project in the future :D

EricGT4

Olli":3etsap8e said:
Good job with ur car, looking forward to see some videos when u get it running :) Hopefully u'll get a bit luckier with this project in the future :D

Yeah I sure hope so, thanks.

EricGT4

pg":2yejwx5k said:
It would seem that larger injectors would be more usefull with all those mods

From what I have seen 550s are pretty decent and with the a good tune should get me to my temporary goal. If I could get 300AWHP out the car with the injectors that it has I will be satisfied for a good time while I upgrade the brakes and whatnot. I can change it out later when I decide that its time to go faster.