97JZA80's ST165..minor update

97JZA80

Intro:
I will start off by saying I have never driven an Alltrac and I have actually only ever seen one in person. I was drawn to the car because of the styling and its toyota/racing heritage. And its uniqueness/sleeper potential. My brother has always been big into celicas (currently owns an 81 and 85) so it was natural to pick one up. I have an all toyota fleet so was looking to stay that way. I was looking for something agile to supplement the supra which is very fast but I missed owning a tru handling car. Also need a better mpg car, cause the tundra is getting 12 mpg and my commute just doubled.

I have owned a few other cars in the past and built them up, wifes prelude my integra. I had an 87 yota pickup that I did alot of work to to bring it back from the dead. That was a really fun project, sourcing parts and breathing new life into it. I am hoping the trac is like that was. Currently have the supra, tundra, GS400 and the trac.

The car:
I have been lurking on the site for a while looking for one to pick up. That and of course ebay. One came up on ebay that was pretty close to me. I wouldnt normally buy outright on ebay but.....Seemed to be a straightforward project and had a florida history so rust was minimal. I scooped it up for what I think as a decent price. Car is in decent shape, paint is faded but overall condition is good. Main problem was a leaky rear main and the motor/trans were out of the car. Not the way I wanted to start since my awd knowledge is limited to 4x4 trucks which is much different. Here are some shots of the car at its original location and us bringing it home.

m7yse8.jpg

a0bdvn.jpg

1z32hwn.jpg

9uvwgh.jpg

npkpx1.jpg

2qs5mxc.jpg

Goals:
I want to daily drive the car which after reading more and more I understand may be an issue. So modifications will be kept to a minimum. I want to be at around 250-275 HP. The car is pretty much stock, it has a supra ct26 and a custom downpipe. I will start with basic mods, such as exhaust, intake, boost controller, and suspension/rims. Eventually I would like to get the car painted but thats after everything else is done, it may be awhile. I have some extra sparco torinos that may find their way into the car...but we will see about that.

Project start:

I got the car in January and it has pretty much sat until the past few weeks. I had been working on some mods to the supra that took awhile and prepping my house for sale. My house sold fast so now this car needs to move under its own power.

We got started on researching all the preventative things to swap out while the motor was out of the car. I ordered round 1 of OEM parts: Gasket kit, Thermostat, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, TB tensior/spring, speed sensor, idler assembly, and new filters. I also did some clutch research for my HP goals and based on experience with RPS cluctches in my Supra I went with a new RPS clutch. My bro works for toyota so knowledge/discount there has been priceless.

34sgtwz.jpg

After some research on alltrac.net we tore into the clutch/rear main replacement. The worst part about this was seperating the motor from the trans. But with some help from guys on here this was quickly figured out. Cleaning was also a real pita, the rear main leak made a huge mess. I cleaned that up quite a bit but its far from perfect. It eventually will get a better pressure cleaning.

jsee6v.jpg

mhy4yc.jpg

121yki1.jpg

We then moved onto the top of the motor to replace intake gaskets, valve covers gaskets and tb gaskets/hoses. We broke a fuel line in the process and also realized our valve cover gasket was wrong. So we are waiting on those parts to continue. I took the opportunity to order rnd 2 of oem parts. New steering boots, new axle boot kits, upper/lower rad hoses and some other misc stuff (gt four badge for the hell of it). The fuel line is discontinued so that was recently sourced used along with a crank pulley since mine has a large chunk out of ....thanks whoever did that.

Thats it as of now, I will try to keep this updated over the next month. I just need the thing running asap so I can start enjoying it and get it off the property before I move. I am trying to keep the build inexpensive to start which is tough cause I want to send stuff to powder coat while its out, but it just doesnt make sense until I know the car will run reliably at first.

Thanks!

white88mr2

thats a nice little gray st165 you got ther,i just recently got one from a buddy,and i'm in the process of rebuilding it

white88mr2

oh yeah man its alot more fun than my aw11 mr2! i still have to find a motor and such, but i've been working on the body, stuff like filling the power antenna hole and removing the side skirts to look more like the jdm st165's.

97JZA80

Yeah I wasn't too excited about getting a project in progress, but it just was a good opportunity. Hopefully it wont be too bad. Next working day is this thrusday so hopefully will make some more progress then.

97JZA80

Well I put in my 2nd batch order at toyota for new steering boots, correct valve cover gaskets, new oem belts, Throttle body to intercooler rubber connector, throttle body gasket, cam seals, radiator hoses, power steering vaccum fitting, new cap and rotor.

8wftcg.jpg

And while I was at it I picked up something fun...OEM GTFour badge from an ST185. Nice piece, I will hold onto it though until the car sees paint and this will be its only badge. Thnx to AT.net for the part #.

1672h7b.jpg

My brother also took the time that day to rebuild both front axles for me.

2dgnvh0.jpg

After the purchase we decided to dig back in hoping to finish the top and front of the motor. But... we got screwed again . We decided to do the valve seals since we got them for free. Upon removel of the camshaft we noticed that one of the lobes on the exhaust cam was pretty beat up. As well as one of the shims. So we were pretty much dead in the water again. We managed to finish doing the valve seals and then bolted on the new water pump/thermostat.

oj06dx.jpg

In the process noticed that the crank bolt and tensioner bolts were pretty beat so we just ordered them along with sourcing a used camshaft and components. WideFNopen keeps saving my a$$ on this project. Thanks Man. For the record OEM exhaust camshaft is discontinued.

Hoping to get moving again next week (10/10) and finish the motor prep, barring any more bullcrap issues we find. I did order new brakes but because I have the best luck in the world the rear rotors and front pads were shipped to the wrong address. I got the front rotors and rear pads but of courses this screws me enough so neither fronts or rears can be done yet. :twisted:

Hmm, Is this the car from Carysle PA that was on ebay ?
If so good pickup, me and Chris (GT4PLAY) and I looked at it and
offered him xxxx for it but he didnt take it. Just as well, I didnt have
room for another project, neither did Chris :)

97JZA80

Well yesterday was D-Day for the motor project, had to be done and we did it. Started dropping in the motor at 9 a.m. and ended at 2 a.m. Pretty tired but was really excited to actually have the car running, still can't beleive it actually does. We have a vaccum leak somewhere, not sure where yet. Drivability is unaffected. Also seems that dam near everything works (as far as accessories). AC isnt hooked up yet and neither is cruise. But with the exception of 3 bulbs that are burnt my only issue seems to be the power door locks. I am extremely happy. Need to do the brakes now, they are very crappy, we got a new master on deck. And the suspension is terrible so that will go high on the to do list. Really excited, pics to come....just happy to have it mobile since I am moving in 2 days...

97JZA80

Well its been a long time since I have updated this and for good reason, moved into my new house and I had my first child. Little guy is the heir apparent to my fleet. I last updated when I was rushing to get it done because I had sold my house and needed to move. Well we got it to my new house under its own power.

Motor Project Pics

Ready to go
339hsvc.jpg

Going in
208ybds.jpg

In!
30lksv7.jpg

Everyone needs a little help!
68uetf.jpg

Running!
68c21s.jpg

Inspection was a little rough at first but I got her ;-)
dmy4ci.jpg

At home in my new house, no she doesn’t get the garage..srry.
2ypknx1.jpg

So after that I setoff to work on the cars issues, this is just the major stuff from the last year and a half. A whole bunch more minor crap was done.

-Brakes were rebuilt, new rotors and pads all the way around, new master and new calipers up front.

2mepvdk.jpg

My Helper
qx1ate.jpg

29psy8z.jpg

-new clutch master, linkage arm, and solid bushings to fix rough shift. Still a little rough downshifting into 2 and 1 but liveable.

-Rekeyed pass lock and hatch lock, one was stuck the other had some geto-fied BS on it.

-AC system charged and in use…woohoo…

-Sourced a rear hatch privacy cover off a junk yard car, was excited because the dude crushed the cars not too long after..

-Rebuilt starter and did the “4th gen starter mod” car starts great now, still need to make the mod clean and permanent

-Sourced custom Supra CT26 Oil return/Feed lines and fittings with help from rabidchimp and KO racing, that leak is now fixed.

-Cured poor MPG issue with new O2 sensor

-Fog light mod done, yeah something fun! Oh added cheapy ebay H4 conversions with hyper white bulbs and yellow nokya fogs

-Factory take off Scion TC wheels then added Toyota center caps.
117w706.jpg

-Tint-wow what a difference freakin looks awesome Before and After

53ls95.jpg

2wmdr12.jpg

-Suspension Project-replaced bad hub installed eibach springs, new ball joints, did POR15 rust prevention in all 4 suspension cavities(although looked good), new FR top mounts and shocks, new boots and bushings all the way around, notched my shocks so the brake lines don’t need removed (that’s dumb.), painted my calipers my trademark blue, new fr sway bar bushings

Starting
6z8wgj.jpg

POR15 in place
20r4gpf.jpg

One new bump stop shown, the other is the remnants from all 4 corners!
jiky04.jpg

Eibachs in
v747c5.jpg

-Installed new PS pump

-Repaired Rear defroster grid…god this was a mofo and I still only have about half of them working, someone really fubard the grid bad. Probably a bad tint removal. :shoots:

Which brings me to where I sit today:

ao6w7a.jpg

or2uit.jpg

Over the past year and a half I have been working on finalizing the last of my long list of issues. I have been able to seriously take stock of what my goals are and what I hope to get out of the car. I’m still shooting to build a nice driver, out of this one, I can definetly see another In the future strictly for racing. Why not with all the extra parts accumulating, sound familiar? I have probably put about 6-7 K on the car driving it this past year and it has done really well. The RPS clutch is nice, a little stiffer than stock but I like it. Recent HG issues have kept me from really boosting with the car but since the suspension was done it feels a lot better. The wheel and tire setup looks good, fits good and feels nice. Paint was supposed to be this year but my HG issue will push that back probably a year.

During that time my bro helped me with a bunch of stuff and decided he wanted his own trac, so project 2 kicked off and should be running shortly. He has a project thread around here somewhere…

2i7wxut.jpg

Bringing his home looks just like when we brought mine home,
my tundras 2 for 2. :smokes:

Cant wait to get them both to a meet together.

Up Next:
-HG/head repair is in line to do and I think the turbo needs a rebuild. I have most of the parts for the HG project and the head is at the shop right now. Once this project is done I really hope to have turned the maintenance corner and have this thing pretty reliable for a while. Gonna do some powdercoating of some stuff at the same time.

-other parts sitting in my office waiting to install, short shifter, brand new jdm corners (my bros the man) and SS auto 3 inch exhaust

LegacyofDan

ah man how have i missed this thread for so long! awesomeness X 10! i look forward to seeing your trac in person man!

i just noticed that alot of trac owners are dog owners as well...hmmm...random thought

does rob have a project thread that i wasnt aware of?

97JZA80

LegacyofDan":2q1cpwqg said:
ah man how have i missed this thread for so long! awesomeness X 10! i look forward to seeing your trac in person man!

i just noticed that alot of trac owners are dog owners as well...hmmm...random thought

does rob have a project thread that i wasnt aware of?

Hopefully next meet you will see both of them :D I thought he did have a project thread, but he might not have started it yet beings how he has been largely concentrating on gathering parts, the real work starts this week.

Mafix":2q1cpwqg said:
you guys need to come down for more parts

All BS aside since we are diggin into his now I bet you will have a pm before too long :wink:

s1271

What number of Eibach springs do you have ? What kind shock absorbers do you have ? One of my Whiteline springs is broken and i am looking for something better quality.

97JZA80

I didnt write the number down before I installed them, but per eibachs site they only make one for the 88 Celica and its Manufacturer Part #: 8212.140.

Its not listed for the alltrac but they work fine for me so far, use at your own risk. My shocks are stock in the rear for now and Monroe replacements in the front for now since I couldnt get the correct KYB's.