1988 ST165/1994 ST205 WRC Swap

Very nice car i was thinking on swapping a 185 into mine but maybe i'll get on the wagon and get a 205:)

MR2 Guru

I must say it is fun, although I didnt have much chance to drive it in its stock condition. May have well been fun then too, but I didnt really get to enjoy it! lol

A

Anonymous

Did you have any problem with the diff ratios in the American cars.
I have heard conflicting comments regarding the cars that come into Australia
from Japan. as I am about to put a 205 into my 165 for track work.

MR2 Guru

From what I understand, the ratios are the same throughout all years (generations). I am using the ST165 driveshaft and rear differential with the ST205 Transmission/Transfer case.

This was something I had to research myself when I had similar concerns with the ST165/ST205 ratios matching. No one wants to have to replace these frequently!

Here is some information available here that may be of assistance to you, and best of luck to you with your swap!

http://www.alltrac.net/specs/GT4Specs.htm

MR2 Guru

There should not be any fitment issues, but I upgraded to an aluminum radiator. I'm not sure or this, but you may have to depressurize the overflow tank. This may have been only something necessary for me to do with my custom cooling setup.

MR2 Guru

I used the ST205 trans. stubs and the ST165 outers. I did not attempt to use the full ST165 shafts.
Are you working with a front clip or an engine set? Do you have the ST205 transmission?

Hope this helps,

oka

im planning to buy the complete engine.. im a phone call away from getting this engine :) since youve done yor swap, are there alot of modifications that i need to know before i purchase the engine..??? my mechanic and i are really new to this....what is trans stub and the st165 outers???? thnxlocofrancais :) :) :)

MR2 Guru

I used the shorty stubs (that go into the ST205 transmission) and mated those to the ST165 Axles to make sure the axles still fit into the hubs. I didnt have the full ST205 axles to see if they would fit in the wheel hubs, so I just used the transmission side shorty-stubs on the ST165 front axles. AFAIK, if you are only buying an engine, it may be a good idea just to use your ST165 transmission/axles etc. to save yourself any potential headaches. The ST205 transmission doesnt have the differential lock out switch that your ST165 transmission has, which is nifty if you only have a 2WD dyno locally. :)

Wiring should probably be your greatest fear *sigh*
You can easily remedy that headache by contacting Dr. Tweak at Phoenix Tuning. He rebuilds harnesses for plug-and-play fitment for most custom Toyota swaps.

Thank you for the compliment Hotrodhendrix!

oka

so the st165 trans would bolt right on to the st205??? oh ya where did you get your engine??? thnx

MR2 Guru

I got my engine by somewhat of an accident at a local engine distributor. They have since to get or see any more of them.

Jarco and JHot are great reputable dealers of JDM engine, but their prices are often higher than what the average person would like to see. This is because they have the highest quality to offer; you get what you pay for. I have always had positive experiences with both.

The ST165 transmission will work on the ST205 engine. It will also eliminate your need to swap over the mechanical speed sensor for your speedometer to work properly. Dont quote me on this, but I think you will need the ST205 flywheel and/or clutch assembly. There are a few other ST205 swapped ST165s hiding/lurking around the forum here. Maybe they can chime in with a little further insight on this!

Boostlee

2 thumbs way up!!!

But, I must ask, more info on your suspension (fitment, which coiloevers, issues, etc)

Thanks, Chris

MR2 Guru

I used a set of ST185 used Cusco coilovers (which I have FINALLY determined the brand of). We had to spin the upper mounts around a tad and shave the tippy corners off the upper mounts to fit in place properly. Other than that, I purchased a set of shims for the lower hub connection because the stud diameter is a bit larger on the ST185 than the ST165. The fronts fit like a glove. I desperately need bushings, and I would suggest these to anyone because its affecting my rear wheels to the point where they are steering. *fun...*

Otherwise, most everything is stock. I have the ride height adjusted pretty nicely with the 17" Scion wheels to where it doesnt look like it is on stilts. The 17's had picked the car up quite a bit.

With the 205 engine, I didnt have to modify anything drastic for fitment. The drive shaft mated up nicely without any hitches and by using the 205 transmission side axle stubs, I did not have to worry about mating or modifying anything special to get the axles to fit into the hubs as I mentioned above.

Thank you again for all of your support guys, and I hope to see some of you at the Tail of the Dragon in April!

Nightfire

Locofrancais":tbeo50fy said:
I got my engine by somewhat of an accident at a local engine distributor. They have since to get or see any more of them.

Jarco and JHot are great reputable dealers of JDM engine, but their prices are often higher than what the average person would like to see. This is because they have the highest quality to offer; you get what you pay for. I have always had positive experiences with both.

The ST165 transmission will work on the ST205 engine. It will also eliminate your need to swap over the mechanical speed sensor for your speedometer to work properly. Dont quote me on this, but I think you will need the ST205 flywheel and/or clutch assembly. There are a few other ST205 swapped ST165s hiding/lurking around the forum here. Maybe they can chime in with a little further insight on this!

I just purchased a JDM engine from Jarco and saw this post of yours saying they are very good, but I've seen others saying the opposite. What type of dealings have you had with them and did anything not go as planned with them? Did you get a complete swap from them or just parts?
Where in NC are you located?

MR2 Guru

Nightfire":17hy4vox said:
I just purchased a JDM engine from Jarco and saw this post of yours saying they are very good, but I've seen others saying the opposite. What type of dealings have you had with them and did anything not go as planned with them? Did you get a complete swap from them or just parts?

Maybe, as a business we have had better experiences than the individual customer. I noticed that they have been more careful with getting all the necessary parts required with engine sets, but also have very clean clips. A lot of distributors fib on mileage and such, but usually Jarco will show the odometer, or some proof of actual mileage. Personally our experiences have been positive, but we are repeat customers. I do hope they treat individuals with the same care they have shown us.

We are in Asheville, NC - which is about 45 minutes from the Tennessee border via I-40. You are more than welcome to meet up with us here if you plan to go to the Tail of the Dragon meet in April. We should be on your way.

Nightfire

Locofrancais":2pva1yde said:
Nightfire":2pva1yde said:

Maybe, as a business we have had better experiences than the individual customer. I noticed that they have been more careful with getting all the necessary parts required with engine sets, but also have very clean clips. A lot of distributors fib on mileage and such, but usually Jarco will show the odometer, or some proof of actual mileage. Personally our experiences have been positive, but we are repeat customers. I do hope they treat individuals with the same care they have shown us.

We are in Asheville, NC - which is about 45 minutes from the Tennessee border via I-40. You are more than welcome to meet up with us here if you plan to go to the Tail of the Dragon meet in April. We should be on your way.

I appreciate the invite, but with my sons soccer practice twice a week and then games on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays until the middle of April I don't think I'll have the swap done by then. Once I get the car done if you guys do anymore stuff out there I might be able to make it, it's only an 8 hour drive for me.

So far Jarco has seemed pretty straight forward, they sent me a video of the engine running before it came out of the car, with a close up of the odometer and VIN. It should ship tomorrow from them and be here in Jacksonville Friday.