1026 GT-Four Normal Body

Corey

Extension is definitely shorter than stock, which is what I'm more concerned about since it means there is less compliance with uneven roads. When jacking up the car via the pinch rail, it now lifts both front and rear wheels off the ground!!

underscore

Just a heads up, frsport.com currently has their Black Friday sale going on and with the promo code CYBER the Swift springs are 20% off. With shipping it works out to $402 Canadian (shipped) for 4 springs, plus whatever Canadian taxes. I've been looking into softening mine up as well, I haven't got the cash for new springs right now so hopefully a similar deal pops up Boxing Week.

I made a post in my build thread about this, but since you're running 6kg all around you may want to try swapping out just the rear springs for softer ones at first since the rear springs are longer than the fronts so things may be out of balance (if my logic is right).

Corey

That's a great deal. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Car's been put away for the winter, probably won't have time to work on it until next summer now.

Corey

Took the car out for road trip last weekend. Still running great, but It's developed a transmission rear output shaft oil seal leak I'll need to take care of soon. Think I caused it when I slid the propshaft into the tranny after replacing the rear diff cushion - there was probably some surface rust on there that ripped the seal up.

Front left wheel bearing is also completely shot. Lots of play :( So will be replacing both front bearings again sooner than later also.

Fuel consumption on the drive was really good also. About 8L/100 km doing 120-130.

Definitely not very happy with the 6kg/mm spring rate but I can live with it. On some roads it develops a rhythmic harmonic bounce that just wont stop till the road surface changes. Not sure if thats a result of the dampning, or spring rate choice, or both. Im guessing the back is under damped and the front is over damped because I went with a stiffer spring in the back, and weaker in the front without having the shocks retuned. I've turned both damping knobs down to full soft front and rear.

Any suspension experts have any suggestions?

Corey

I'll snap a video next time its off the ground.

Its extremely noticeable when doing the standard test of grabbing the wheel top and bottom and trying to rotate it vertically. Audible clack noise and it moves at least 1mm either direction. Can almost make it move when the car is on the ground!

Very different than a mushy sorta flex with no noise you might get from trying this test on a good bearing. This one is so toast, the camber actually changes visibly (again by 1mm ish) and its very easy to move it.

Corey

Just went back and repaired all the broken image links.

I've got new bushings, balljoints and wheel bearings on order for the front wheels. I've noticed a bit of surface rust forming near the bottom inner lip of both front fenders. So when I do the wheel bearings I'm going to remove the fenders for the 1st time, inspect and repair any rust and repaint the inside to prevent it in the future.