1026 GT-Four Normal Body

Corey

Night #33 ~72 hours

Spent last night cleaning the last of the valves, installing the valve stem seals, and trying to install the valves.

That is quite possibly the most frustrating job on this car. In the space of 2 hours, i only got 7 valves installed.

Sure am glad i didnt ask the machine shop to do it for me, my bill would have been huge lol.

A note on the valve stem seals: i'll post pics later

The Kbox inner seal diameter is noticably smaller than that of my old exhaust and intake seals.

And the seals have the same colouring as the Intake seals. I thought they were black - they arnt.

So, hopefully these seals will last a while :)

Im hoping to have the remaining valves installed tonight, so i can get the buckets and cam shafts back in. Freeing up some much need desktop space. At that point i can see if all those carefull measurements i took were correct lol

Corey

YerRandO

maybe we can offer some pointers to make the valve install alittle quicker. What exactly is causing you the most trouble?

Corey

Hope so :)

The thing im having trouble the most with is getting the keepers/retainers to rest at the correct height and angle around the valve stem, so that when it releases, they slide up just enough to catch the grove, and lock everything in place.

But sometimes, i cant get them both in at the same depth/angle, and one pops back out. Or i cant get either of them in at the proper angle at all.

But a few times i managed to get it perfect really quickly, other times i was spending 15 minutes on one valve.

thx

Corey

Yep :)

They are noticably lighter. Unfortunately i wont have a chance to take them into class to weigh them.

Maybe i can ask the post office tomorrow lol.

darthripley

hehe that's cool Corey.

i think they weigh something like 1-2 grams less each than the shimmed buckets but i'm not 100% sure ... i was reading all about shimless buckets last week trying to figure out which ones will work in R2's 4agze 8)

Corey

I just realized a different way to try and attack this thing.

When i placed the retainers in by hand while they were out, i would hold them into the valve stem grove with one hand, then slide spring and that cap up around them.

Maybe ill try that, useing some need nose plyers to hold the two retainers around the stem, then releasing the clamp.

Edit: ^^ cool. definately seems like a worth while upgrade.

Corey

Night #34 ~79 hours

Installed the last of the valves. :D along with the new buckets.

I then turned my attention back to the block.

I removed the old hose from hell (with the heat wrap). And tried to install the new one.

Now i know why its called the hose from hell. I cant imaging trying this while the motor is in the car. I couldnt even get the new hose to slide over the water pipes without Massive amounts of force.

I eventually decided to remove all the interconnecting water pipe work to make the install easier. at which point i decided to take care of some of the minor rust which was forming around the pipe ends, under the old hoses.

I sanded it off, then put a thin coat of Por-15 on them. once that is dry, ill paint the whole assembly with 1500*F silicone paint (silver).

I've also noticed some rust forming around the top of the block. So i think ill go out and find some grey hightemp paint and tackel that while the coolant pipes are off.

Tomorrow im going to run the Fuel injectors into the shop to get cleaned. And i have to stop by mr.T for some a new gasket and o-ring for the water pipes i removed from the pump.

Ill paint the block, and once thats dry, ill bolt the head back on, reassemble the oil pump, get the motor back on the hoist so i can remove the rear main seal. then its going back on the stand so i can reseal the oil pan.

Corey

Denver_whiteST185

Corey Darling":34h2mx8p said:
I removed the old hose from hell (with the heat wrap). And tried to install the new one.

Now i know why its called the hose from hell. I cant imaging trying this while the motor is in the car. I couldnt even get the new hose to slide over the water pipes without Massive amounts of force.

i had the same problem. i don't know why it has to be so tight since those little clips tighten it up right after its on all the way....

i ended up taking off my whole exhaust manifold and oil/water lines for the turbo so i could get a better angle on it, and then spending a good hour wiggling it on the two ends and making it right....

i hate that thing. it was worse than trying to install my ss clutch cable with the engine in the car....

Corey

i dont doubt it :doh:

Night # 35 ~81 Hours

I got alot done today :)

Dropped my injectors and rail off to get get tested and cleaned.
Got some Engine enamle (light grey) for my block and painted it. Looks great.
Stopped by toyota to get those gaskets.

So block is painted a light grey/almost white with clearcoat.

Water bypass pipes are gloss black with clear coat.

I got the head gasket installed, along with the head and the intake cam shaft.

Im worried about something though. When i started installing the Cam seal, it started to go in pretty crooked. I managed to try a different tool and got it flush... Should i just rip it out and get another? or should it be okay?

Tomorrow ill going to go grab the fuel rail after work. should be done.

Then ill finish up with the exhaust cam shaft. Ill clean up the valve cover and get that on there.

I just quickly measured some of the valve clearances. they are pretty tight :D between .15 and .20 on the intake side. sweet.

Now that the head is back on, i can get the motor on the hoist and deal with the rear main seal and oil pan.

Its moving along :D

Corey

Corey

Night #36 ~90 hours

Tonight I installed the exhaust cam shaft and oil seal. This time i tried installing the seal before torquing down the #1 bearing cap. This made it very easy to install and it didnt go in crooked :)

I then checked all the valve clearances. Im glad i decided to pick new buckets to get the clearance in the middle of the range, because all my clearances are now closer to the low end. :) If this doesnt get rid of valve tick then I dont know what will. I recorded the current clearances for future reference.

I then painted up the front engine hanger, and began cleaning up the valve cover. Ive decided to paint it aluminum/silver, with a RED toyota, and Black PVC pipe. This scheme not only appears original, but matches the intake manifold :)

With the front engine hanger painted, i re-attached both hangers so i could hoist the motor up and deal with the rear main seal.

I cant even imaging trying to pull that seal out while the retainer is still bolted up. It took alot of force to hammer it out from behind while on the bench.

After lots of elbow grease to remove the old stuck on gasket material, i went a head and used some Moly MP grease on this seal this time around. For the other seals i had been using castrol mp grease.

Ill use moly on the front also.

So, the motor is now back on the stand, and tomorrow ill reattach the oil pump, and re-seal the oil pan.

Ill also finish up the paint job on the valve cover, and begin cleaning up the intake manfiold.

Im waiting on some water pump seals and gaskets from mrT, those should be here thursday. At which point ill be able to bolt the water pump and bypass pipes back on, and finish the Hoses from Hell.

My brother misplaced the Camera battery charger, so i havnt been able to take any decent pics. So ive been using my camera phone. :doh:

I'll be sure to post what i got tomorrow :)

Cheers

Corey

etantshi

YerRandO":2i0ff9zv said:
WOW it's coming right along, you make me feel like a huge slacker.

lol for real. I see posts and posts of progress... ha ha ha. I haven't really done shit since putting the head on teh block.

Corey

lol

Im extremely motivated because this is my DD.

Just picked up the fuel rail and injectors. 95$ to clean all 4 including the rail. They also installed my kbox and toyota injector seals.

Now back to sealing up the oil pan. :)

Corey

Night #37 ~99 hours

Didnt actually get all that much done since the last post.

The oil pump is back on with a new crank seal, new oil pump o-ring and shaft seal.

Spent most of tonight painting stuff.

Once the oil pan was clean, i saw some chips and scratches on the outside i wanted to take care off. So the pan is now gloss black with clear coat - waiting for the clearcoat to harden up.

I then painted the valve cover. I changed my mind and decided to paint it gloss black. I may or may not do something with the lettering.

After work tomorrow, im going to get some more paint, and stop by toyota to get my water pump o-ring, at which point i can continue reassembling the motor.

Corey

86turboswap

A tip on the retainers is to use grease. if you grease the retainers up & then put them in by hand they usually stay when you let the spring up. Also the valve tool you bought is a ancient tool. I found a tool that works much better & much faster. A strong door panel clip removal tool works great I have one that the handle looks like a big U so you just set the tool on top of the valve, push it down to depress the spring & use a magnet to pull the retainers out, no need to mess with the expensive big valve tool. The tool cost me like $8.
They are available at CSK auto in the US or partsamerica.com
sorry I know it's too little too late but I hope that it will help others in the future.

BTW nice thread, good work. Now you just need to buy my RC tranny haha

Corey

^^

I think i found something similar to that, but when i looked at it, I dont think it would have worked.

Have any pics of the tool?

Wish i could, but i already got that 205 lol. you're too late on both counts :(

thx lol

Corey

Finally a few pics. Sry for camera phone quality.

Painted block with clearcoat. New TTE 1.2mm MHG installed with ARP Studs to 65 ftlbs.
0226082008.jpg

Camshafts in with new Shimless buckets.
0226082009.jpg

0226082009a.jpg

0226082010.jpg

New cam seals
0226082010a.jpg

MHG - I accidentally deleted the good picture of the gaskets on the block before the head was bolted up :x
0226082010b.jpg

New Rear main seal and gasket - just before bolting up.
0227080203a.jpg

Shot of the oil pump just before closing it back up with a new o-ring and shaft oil seal
0227081345.jpg

I have a few more quality pics off the good camera at home of the buckets and some other stuff.

I'll post them later

Corey

YerRandO

:shock: OMG it's so clean!!!!! Looks like your doing a great job, specially for your first time. I can't wait to see it all back together. I love how up to date this thread is.