1026 GT-Four Normal Body

Talk about your project car here

Postby Corey » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:42 am

Here are those pics I promised.

First the Clutch :)

Apparently ORC doesnt carry the "B strong" version of the cluches any more. Just "Standard" and "Standard Silent"

The anti rattle springs. And the Disk that rests on them is different from Rene's clutch i think. His is round and smooth, where as this looks like a sprocket.

Marks from the factory, guess i need to make sure i put it back together like that

The Bearing

Compared to OEM - Ill be using the ORC.

And Now for some random pics of the parts stewn all over the shop.

My Ron Davis Rad and Speed Source line. I'm very pleased with the quality.

Cheers

Corey
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by Corey on Fri May 01, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Corey » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Well, tonights the night. My friend and I will start ripping apart the engine bay.

I've alotted 1 week to get my list done. Hopefully the engine will be on the floor by tomorrow.

I'll be sure to take lots of pics. mainly to help me figure out how to put it back together, and to make some write ups :)

Corey
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby TEAMFaint » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 am

I wish ya luck man!
Shes gonna be so sexy when its done
8)
current project: 94 st205
TEAMFaint
Club Member

Postby Corey » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks, im already needing it.

So far tonight, draining fluids, removed rad, airbox, battery. and alt.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Corey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:53 am

Total Time so far: ~10 hours

Tonight I removed the bumpercover, the ecu harness (that was fun :roll: ) and midpipe - holy shit is that thing heavy. wasnt expecting that when it fell on top of me lol. and the vacumme lines outlined in the bgb.

Still need to get the heater hoses off. their clips are being very stubburn. if they are cheap enough, i may just call toyota and ask them to get me some new ones, and ill cut these off.

I noticed that the one section of air intake pipe that is clamped onto the turbo has a small crack in it. noticably if i flex the pipe a bit. I dont think its a clean through cut, but needs to be replaced, guess ill be buying a new one of those.

Tomorrow: Drive shafts, prop shaft - entire thing i think - this winter has been brutal on my car for rust. all my rear subframe and suspension has signs of rust. something it didnt have a couple months ago :x
And i still have to remove the a/c pump from the engine and hang it from somewhere.

If im feeling motivated, i may extend my project to remove all the sub frame, and paint it with por 15.

Hopefully tomorrow, ill have the engine out :)

And while im at work tomorrow, ill post up some pics of my progess thus far

Corey
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:13 am

mmm, i want your clutch.

have fun puling the engine :P
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby WarTowels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Be sure to take some pics!

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby Corey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:55 pm

DenverwhiteST185 Wrote
Corey Darling wrote:
I'll post up pics tomorrow. It came with flywheel bolts, lub, instructions (in japanese) and stickers. but no alignment tool

if you promise to send it back ASAP and cover shipping, i'll send you an alignment tool when you need it.

Hey Ted, Sry, i thought you were talking about the clutch lol. I just re-read it.

That would be great. you've got PM
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Corey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Some pics. The rest i took are just some general ones of all the vacuume lines and connectors before i disconnected them, so i know where they go back :)

Here's my SwainTech coated manifold

And some of the car where i left off last night.

Ben cleaning up his rotary

I've got the back wheels of the car up on blocks, that way, i can lift the front of the car up by the bumper with the engine hoist, and it will be more stable than if the rear was on jackstands.

Something i realized on\e I got those screw-out clips off the underside of the bumper cover which hold the under side of the cover to the actual beam.... (stupid clips, you'd think they would at least make them a phillips head or something :roll: ).... well, they dont have anywhere to go once the RC bumper bar is in - perhaps a good excuse to get an rc bumper lol

If im going to get my current one filled and painted, for an estimated 300-400 bucks, might as well get the new bumper, and just get them to paint it for the same cost.

I was hoping to keep the original look though, that bumper is starting to grow on me, especially with the plate off. That and ill lose my JDM tyte yellow fogs :(

Corey
Last edited by Corey on Fri May 01, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Letze » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:43 pm

I've gotta say thats one clean bay :D mad props man
Letze
Club Member

Postby Corey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks :) hopefully it will be cleaner when im done. Its actually pretty muddy in there from that one rally school i went to last june.

What do you guys think. Buy an RC cover, or stay Stock and get it filled/painted?
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby darthripley » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:01 pm

i personally like the stock bumper.
the only real reason to go to a CS/RC imho is if you plan on going with a nice big FMIC.
the CS/RC bumper just looks too blank/empty w/o a FMIC peeking out.

you ought to get a set of car ramps that you drive the car up onto to be able to work on it.
we put the MR2's front on the ramps & had the rear on jackstands, then used the hoist to pull the ass of the MR2 up in the air to allow us to roll the engine/tranny out on a heavy duty mover's dolly.

the ramps come in handy for oil changes & any other work too & are about $30 bux or so at wal-mart or autozone.

have fun!
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby Corey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Yep, i have ramps. But they are kindof narrow for my tires now since i got the new wheels. These blocks of wood are about 8 inches thick, so its pretty stable. :)

If i were to get the RC, id be sure to get the proper grates to fill in all the holes, so it doesnt look so open, and to protect my rad... but having discovered the sheer size of my A/C rad, i guess that does a pretty good job of it too lol.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby smog7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:19 pm

nice looking shop. keep us updated.
-omar
my car doesn't leak oil, it just marks its territory
rally tarmac 1990 st185
smog7
GTFour God

Postby Corey » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 am

^^ thank you :)

Well, Night # 3. Total time so far. ~ 14 Hours

Tonight i finished with the wiring harness, the shift cables, heater hoses, Charcol Canister (i think im going to delete it), the fuel lines, and i removed the entire prop shaft.... very heavy if you do it by your self... which i did. Suggest using jack stands to rest portions of the shaft onto once the bolts are removed.

First I undid the 4 bolts that hook it up to the diff (then left one in for support), then removed the bolts holding the two mid-car brackets in place, then by lowering the middle down, i could pull the front of the shaft out of the tranny.

then i used a small crow bar to spearate the diff end of the shaft.

All thats left are the Electric speed sensor clip (cant seem to get it off), the PS pump, and the A/C. I pretty much mutalated the AC connector trying to separate it from the harness. oh well, still intact, just cracked up a bit. that thing took me 20 minutes alone.

For re-assembly, ill be putting di-electric grease onto all the connector pins, and some MP grease on the rest of the plug to make removal in the future easier.

Ill get some pics up tomorrow. Not much different from the pics of last night, most noticable thing is that the drive shaft is out lol.

I also went to Canadian Tire and Borrowed a Univeral Clutch alignment tool, and a pulley remover. (to hold it while removing the bolts)

All for free, just need to give them your CC number. Canadian tire FTW :)

So, gunning for engine on the floor by tomorrow.

Something i realized.... I wont be able to use my stock fogs with my new bumper anyway, theres no where for them to mount up as far as i can tell :(

Guess i might as well get the RC bumper. but that will have to wait. i guess i should get a boost gauge/controller first.
Last edited by Corey on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to My Project