1026 GT-Four Normal Body

Talk about your project car here

Re: 1026 GT-Four Normal Body

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:26 pm

The 17s better suit the car. Look good.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CSAlltrac » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Mirrors and wheels look great! That wheel gap though :wink:
I like what you did with the convex mirror glass. I might have to do this so i can gain a little bit more visibility
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Yeah the car could stand to be half an inch lower now. Coilovers are still on the wish list.

I removed the rear interior plastics the other day to get at a rear quarter panel dent I caused a couple weeks ago when I dropped a tool. Took it to a guy in Edmonton to get fixed and he did a good job getting it flattened back out.

But while I was at it, I decided to remove all the excess wiring harnesses in the back half of the car. ABS, speaker and antenna harnesses have now been deleted.

That project is now done and I'll post some pictures up soon once I organize them. BUT, then I found some concerning areas of small rust formation on the panels aft of the front doors. This is caused by a leaky foam seal on the black plastic door vents (in the door jams) and a bit of water finding its way into the sunroof drains.

Last time I checked these areas 3 years ago, they were perfect.

I also found damage to the rear left wheel well. - Something managed to puncture the rubber rock-guard-coated steel near the top of the well. This has allowed water to trickle down the top face of the well, towards the front of the car. It should be an easy fix.

So, needless to say, I'm glad I decided to dive into that wireing removal project, or else I never would have found these issues.

I'm now determined to delete this sunroof - but in the mean time, I'm thinking about hooking up small RC aircraft fuel tanks to the ends of the aft drain tubes to capture water, and I'm going to seal off those rectangular drain holes in the bottom of the chassis near the pinch rails. Since I have no speakers, the drain tubes are easily accessed via the rear speaker covers which just pop out, so I can keep tabs on how much water they are collecting.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Harnesses for rear speakers, ABS computer and RR ABS sensor, and keyless entry computer.

All gone!
I also applied black RTV to those plastic nipples for the exterior plastic ding-guards. I found that some water was leaking into the car via those holes. (RTV wasn't yet applied in this picture)

Harnesses for ABS accelerometer, rear speakers, power antenna, LR ABS sensor, and an extra connector that was never used - not sure what is was for.

Much cleaner - sorry for blurry picture.

Power antenna wiring deleted.

The number of connectors running from the back of the car to this kick panel has been reduced to just two, with a number of extra wires de-pinned from the remaining connectors.

This surface rust was caused by the sponge and a leaky door vent seal. I washed both sponges, removed that rust and applied some paint to the area. I also made some new seals for those vents.

Here is that puncture in the steel wheel well. I filed the area flat, applied JB weld, and some rust inhibitive paint to repair it.

I didn't have access to a scale, but it's a lot of wire. I saved all the connectors since they are hard to come by. If anyone needs them, let me know and I can mail them out.

I took pictures of the work as I went so I could refer back to how the harnesses were wrapped. This way I could replicate it when re-wrapping. I used high quality 3M electrical tape and the OEM split coils and sheaths - can't even tell all this wire was deleted. I kept and reapplied the factory inspection labels and harness-part-number tapes.

Down the road I'll have to remove the front ABS wiring harnesses. The front harness connects to the rear harness I deleted via that large, foam wrapped white connector by the kick panel. I'll also delete the rest of the system 10 wiring if I ever have the entire dash out again.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby CSAlltrac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Car is nice and tidy man. Its nice when even the inner 1/4 panels are solid and clean. If your panels are out still do yourself and the car a favor. There is a wax product that can be sprayed down into all those hard to see areas and it will leach into everything and seal/protect it. I did my rockers, Both quarters, and front aprons on my car. If the areas were to ever see water again it will just bead off rather than sit and cause issues. BMW uses it a lot on their vehicles, its actually the substance that you can see dripping down the rocker on some older cars. Link Below
http://3mcollision.com/3m-rust-fighter-i-08892.html
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:51 pm

underscore wrote:The new wheels look great! You need a comparison shot for your signature.

I resized the images in PS to scale them correctly. With the 17's the car is about 1.5 cm taller now, and it's noticeable in the corners. Next on the project list - coilovers or lowering springs.

CSAlltrac wrote:Car is nice and tidy man. Its nice when even the inner 1/4 panels are solid and clean. If your panels are out still do yourself and the car a favor. There is a wax product that can be sprayed down into all those hard to see areas and it will leach into everything and seal/protect it. I did my rockers, Both quarters, and front aprons on my car. If the areas were to ever see water again it will just bead off rather than sit and cause issues. BMW uses it a lot on their vehicles, its actually the substance that you can see dripping down the rocker on some older cars. Link Below
http://3mcollision.com/3m-rust-fighter-i-08892.html

I'll definitely keep that stuff in mind. It's all buttoned back up, but the panels don't take long to remove.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby CSAlltrac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 pm

The brakes look so much bigger behind a 16''
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Corey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Yeah, but now I have the option to buy even larger brakes. Maybe the Revolution kit.

That said, these brakes are pretty good. It took nearly 100km of very fast road racing to fade them. The wheels were ticking and clanking them selves cool.
Last edited by Corey on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I forgot that you had the K Sports. I'm actually tempted to downgrade my Porsche/Brembo setup to something like those so I can fit 16" rims, that way I don't have to buy a dedicated set of 17" snow tires for the one SnowX a year that's run here.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Corey » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Update: Now living in Quebec - can't get the car insured for less than 2600$ a year and they require Sherlock numbers to be stamped all over the car. :bangshead:

So it's sitting indoors now. Not sure what I'll do with it in the spring.

I did have the car appraised though - $12,800 plus tax ! So I'm pretty happy to have that on paper. Too bad no one will insure it.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:18 am

Quebec? At the current rate you'll be in Newfoundland soon.

I missed your earlier comment about lowering springs, I've got some Megan springs sitting in my garage collecting dust if you want them.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Corey » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 am

Lol right?!

I might take you up on that. The car has moved back down to the bottom of the priority list for a while though. The move out here wasn't cheap.
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:47 am

With insurance that steep I can see why, I'm actually surprised they'd let you insure it at all since I thought they banned new RHD vehicles from coming into Quebec. If I box them up and send them with Greyhound it should be pretty cheap, I can find out sometime this week what they'd cost to send if you like.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby athousandleaves » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:03 am

If you have a secondary vehicle then look into Hagerty/Silver Wheels.

They will not insure anything RHD if its newer than 25yrs old.

I know that works in Ontario, not sure about Quebec...

I have heard of people getting reasonable rates though other national companies because they have multiple things insured so the company is willing to offer sane insurance on the car.
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby Mr Alltrac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Wow that insurance is either ridiculously high or mine is low. I pay 3,600 a year for full coverage on a 2012 sti, 2013 brz, and my 1990 st185.
Mr Alltrac
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project