Letze's Projekt: Entgehen

Letze

(Last's Project: Elude)

Feels weird talking to a car but call me crazy, I've been talking to mine every time I walk by it to and from work and school. started calling it Elude :p

Synopsis

1990 Celica Alltrac Turbo 140k miles (on the dot)

Car was hit not to long ago and it rocked the car a bit, mostly cosmetic but something is going on on the right rear strut its sitting an inch lower than the left.

Car currently has
~40k mile JDM motor
front and rear poly motor mounts
Aussie DP
Aussie Mid
3" Truck Muffler (inspection purposes)

Cosmetic (int/ext)
CS Bumper
Scion TC wheels
2k3 Celica GT cloth seats
2k3 Celica Floormats

Plans

Stage 1 - Repair Damage to the car
- Replace Filler Pannel
- Replace Bumper Cover
- New Bumper Reinforcement
- Fix Strut

Stage 2 - Paint/Rust prevention
- Drop the back end out
- POR-15 the underside
- Powder coat control arms sway bars ect... (and new endlinks!)
- Paint /prep (decide if I want to go CS hood or not)
- 92-93 Tails :D (ordered them from Gary today!)
- Clean interior (add 2k+ GT Cloth back seats)

Stage 3 - Suspension brakes
- Coil overs or Coil over Strut mod
- Brownbo brakes (evo brembo's)

Stage 4 - Engine performance/safety
- new Exhaust cutout right after DP
- Turbo Timer
- FMIC
- Boost Controller

Stage 5 - Vanity :D
- Proper Wheel offset combo (deciding)

Pictures of the car:

at3lz9.jpg

atinteriornf5.jpg

rear end damage

celihitcd3.jpg

Stage 1 and 2 are totaling at $400 so I'm feeling confident :D

Stage 3 need to get a figure on some coil overs and get a proper figure on how much/soon the evo owner is going to part with his brownbos

Stage 4 undetermined, exhaust will be part of my class project in the welding class I'm taking this fall but the rest will run about 700

Estimated figure for stage 1-4 = 2500-3000

wile on the subject any one interested in an Aussie 3" mid?

Sifu

Nice. Don't worry about talking to your car. I still sit in mine and pretend I'm racing in it. Then I swear and cuss up a storm when nothing works...

toayoztan

Looks like a pretty cool car to work on.

Dropping that rear end will take a little work, just don't get caught up like others and drop the rear end, and let the car sit for a year. Some take on too much at one time to handle.

You most likely don't need a FMIC either, i'd suggest a TMIC w2a, depends on your hp goals.

Bryan

Letze

trust me, I wont I got pissed at my friend for leaving his MR2 on jack stands for about a year

Tail lights arrived today but i wasnt home and the fedex guy kept them (and there are 2 fedex locations around me so I got lost looking for the other one)

I picked up a brand new breather cap for my trac, why? well I can only assume that Steve's buddies forgot to put it back on when they rebuilt the trans... no harm no foul.

But sadly I am at a miss today, I was going to drive the car to school today since the interior wiring harness on my truck is foobar ATM (dome light is always on and I cant see for shit with the reflections amongnst other lights going on and off and the windshield wipers comming on randomly)

Well the poor girl idled roughly when i started her up I admit I was being rough with her and I didnt give her any time to properly warm up (since I was late for class)

I pushed the clutch in and started rolling down the hill, my alternator belt just started squeeking like crazy then it happened she about died on me I tapped the throttle a bit and tried to push on, as I got to the top of my neighbors driveway she just about died again so I pulled back into my driveway and the CEL flipped on with the Battery light accompanying it. and then she died :( I started it back up and she ran like shit, for a few seconds and I cut her of.

Belt seems like its still together (if its not woopty doo its a belt and all is easy) if its the Alternator I'd like to thank steve for giving me another one amongst the spair parts he included with the car.

Pictures friday (classes/work all day thurs) of the tail lights test fitted aswell as more info on WTF happened.

Getting a family friend to teach me how to weld so I can finish the 7th gen bracket mod for my seats and also work on a modified mount for the back seats! (OH YEA!)

::EDIT::

I also forgot to mention I finally got to deposit my insurance check today and well... :( bank is holding it for 5 buisness days before I can use it WHY!? WHY! OH WHY! this is anoying... delaying parts

I've still got to pay for insurance on a car I cant drive so I'm out another 120 of the 600 I have... pftt...

on the 14th though I'll have another 2k avalible for parts

::EDIT 2::

deleted I feel silly now :p

Letze

Couldnt recreate it in order to check it...

But I gave it another try and gave her some time to warm up and she's running fine now, scaring me a bit with some stuff but she's fine :p I'm just gonna go with "The trans probably hadnt warmed up enough/low on fluid"

and yes low on fluid the car has been without a breather cap since I got it, I'm draining/refilling the trans this weekend

FUCKING A!

I just got word from steve that its an assumed 40k jdm trans... which means... usdm breather cap wont fit

BAH!!!!

Any one know the part number!? or can some one help me find a part number!?

Letze

Update:

Stripped the car down aside from the dash Sunday I found 2 problematic spots of rust inside the car but I wont make any judgment on them till we get the sandblaster to them this coming weekend. (eventually cleaning the whole car out and POR-15 the whole thing)

In preparation for the rally cross I have my friend at VT (engineering major) working on a transmission guard that will also function as an aerodynamic mod for the underside of the car

We're still trying to locate sturdy mounting points that can withstand the shock of a hit

think http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/hyde/flatbottoms.htm but as a cup LOL

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the info on Racefiend's suspension setup so we can go ahead and start building those.

Since the car may be a trailer queen half of the time I have opted to do a pure straight pipe with a shell of a cat strapped onto the pipe (no really a part of just sitting on the outside). the tail pipe swappable between an angled tip and a street legal muffler. which will make things go quickly on inspection days or any time we can't get a trailer... :p

and the plan is to keep the engine as stock as possible since handling is more important than power in our application.

previously mentioned stages have been dropped new plan is

(possible order...)

- FMIC
- Redo the entire suspension
- Clean and rust prevent the interior/exterior
- Custom exhaust W/Aussie DP 3" Straight pipe
- Electronics/Toys
--| Gauges: Boost/Water temp/ Oil Press/ Oil temp
--| Boost Controller
--| Turbo timer
- front and rear strut/sway bars
- Skid Plate :p
- Brush Guard
- Paint...

Thanks for reading :D

Letze

I've been quiet about this for a wile now, but about a week ago I was ticketed for 27 over in the state of Virginia I wasnt intentionally speeding, my dash lights had gone out in the truck and I ended up going that fast... long dark highway no point to reference my speed, and It just got up there.

if you know the state of Virginia you know that they're currently in the process of repealing the extreme fines for reckless speeding tickets, unfortunately they may not repeal the law in time for me to just "not worry"

I'm facing up to a $3,000 dollar fine for this ticket I have already hired a lawyer to represent me, I have to get the truck repaired to allow myself a better defence but in order to afford even the best case scenario I have to sell my alltrac in order to prepare for the worst.

As a full time student and part time delivery guy I cannot afford the 3k fine much less the extra penalties included such as loss of drivers license and possible jail time. the insurance payments each month were putting me further in the hole. I'm really sad right now that due to some faulty wiring in my dad's truck that I'm absolutely fucked in the state of Virginia. I will always miss my alltrac.

I'm sorry to end this project like this, I intended to keep this car till I had to pass it down to my son/daughter one day, but my luck just has me up shits creek.

- goodnight guys, I'll check up ever once and a wile maybe one day I'll find another alltrac.

Letze

Yes a 3k fine, thats what I get for not driving my alltrac :(

It was a 45mph back road, for the most part smooth with a downhill slope...

I know some of you are going to think you cant tell the difference between 45 and 72!?

take this into consideration

- I was driving a vehicle I was unfamiliar with, I normally drive cars not trucks...
- The tachometer was broken not that it could have helped
- it was 10:15pm I was tired coming home from class
- it was pitch black out, no moonlight, just DARK... no way to see my instrument cluster... with the lights burnt out.
- I went to my classes at 5pm before it got dark so i never knew the lights were out (if you wanna claim negligence)
- no reference point, IE no cars/houses to my speed
- just to prove a point, you cannot accurately tell me the speed of a moving train without a tool.... you'd be lucky to guess a trains speed within 15-20pmh...

Nitro_Alltrac

The really wonderful thing about that speed law in VA is that the HUGE fines only apply to state residents (from what the article I read said right after the brain surgeon politicos passed it). I guess they figure that they wouldn't have much chance to collect from out of state drivers.

I am really sorry to hear to hear about this. Hang in there. Maybe your luck will change and things will work out.