My "Nothing Crazy" Project (Picture Dump Page 14)

abraxxa

You're right, sorry, the T3/T4 is also from Garrett.
Aren't the new GT series more sophisticated and have better spoolup (for the same price)?

TheNubkins

abraxxa":yqqw532y said:
You're right, sorry, the T3/T4 is also from Garrett.
Aren't the new GT series more sophisticated and have better spoolup (for the same price)?

To be honest I'm not all that familiar with turbochargers brands/types/series. I just did a lot of reading on the forums and went with something that matched my current, and future, goals for the car. I purchased this kit almost 6 months ago(took 5 and a half months to get here. :x ) By the way I like what you've done to your car. Lots of nice pics you have on your webpage.

TheNubkins

The Street Brawler kit is in and a piss-off of a story to go along with it. I don't mind doing minor things to the car myself, but I felt I would leave the turbo swap up to a reputable tuning and performance shop because I wanted it done right. My mechanic friend who used to work on the car for free has fallen ill so I wasn't able to have him do the work. He is the best mechanic I know...moreso because he is very picky and takes his time with things. Anyhow I dropped the All-Trac off to AFI Performance, with the kit, and gave them the links to the BGB and the KO site for the instructions on the SB kit install and the DP bracket install. I assumed it would be a quick thing and I could pick the car up the next day. Well, 2 days later the car was done. They didn't even bother to read the instructions at all and went to town on the car. It took them over 8 hours just to get the stock turbo off the car. Overall it took them probably close to 16 hours to do the whole swap. I was charged 8 hours labor at 100 bucks an hour so I was not too pleased considering ATS Racing charges 375 for the install. I could have gone on a nice road trip to the US with the wife, gave them the car and chilled in a motel for the night and driven back for the price it cost me to get the kit installed. Anyhow all that aside the kit looks awesome. So I start up the car after giving everything a quick look-over and drove it off boost until it was up to temperature. My manual boost controller was backed all the way off so I should have seen 10psi of boost, but instead the thing rocketed to 16psi, which is where I have my fuel cut set to, and I hit the wall. I was confused so I pulled over and double checked everything to find out that they had installed my boost controller backwards so my wastegate was not even seeing the boost pressure. Good thing I didn't disable my fuel cut feature or I would be looking at doing a rebuild right about now. Hopefully I didn't fry anything.

I cautiously turned up the boost to about 13psi and noticed no sign of knock so I'm going to keep it there and not get greedy and try for more boost on the stock fuel system. I'm going to back down my fuel cut to 14psi just to be safe because I don't want it boosting up to 16 again before cutting out. The car definitely hauls a lot more ass with the T3/T4 kit installed, but the difference in turbo lag is more than I expected. It's not too bad, but I have to keep the engine revving a bit higher. At 10psi with the SB I was pulling just as hard as I was with the stock turbo at 14psi. I especially like how the car keeps pulling right to 7000rpm. The exhaust note has changed as well. It's a little deeper.

I was debating keeping the car as it is now or going a bit further and getting either an ATS ROM Tune or go for a stand-alone ems and upgrade the fuel system. I would like to run around 17psi if I do go with an ems(I'm thinking AEM at the moment). Anyhow the next step is to get her on an AWD dyno to see what I'm putting down at the wheels and debate whether I care to sink a lot more money into the car to get to around 300awhp. If I'm around 250whp right now I won't bother because I don't care to spend 3-5 grand for a fuel system, ems, tune etc to gain 30-60 extra whp.

pg

About time you got that thing in and installed!
What rpm do you start building boost and when is it at full?

Sorry to hear that you got ripped off though. It took me 8 hours to pull the engine with a friend and im no mechanic.
Taking off the turbo should be like an hour job :/

Take her to the dyno soon!

TheNubkins

Boost starts coming on around 2500rpm...but nothing substantial. At 4000rpm it seems to be close to fully spooled and pulls like a bastard. I'm very happy with the turbo kit. I've removed the boost controller so I can use the wastegate boost level because I really don't want to risk blowing shit apart. At 10psi it's actually quicker than the car was with the stock turbo at 14psi. Oh, and you will be very happy with how it pulls at higher speeds. At least with my car the stock turbo seemed to run out of steam once I hit about 120km/h. After that it struggled to get the car past that with any sort of authority. Now she screams up to 190km/h in half the time once 120km/h is hit. As far as daily diving is concerned I was almost disappointed with the increased turbo lag because it was quite noticeable...at first anyways. I used to think the stock turbo had lag... :lol: but when this turbo spools it's night and day difference...and I'm only pushing small boost levels. After I drove it around for a bit my driving style changed...mostly my shift points so I can keep the engine revving a bit higher so the turbo can stay more active. Oh, and the exhaust note at all engine loads(even idle) is a lot nicer. It's deeper and sounds like you actually have something that hauls ass(even though mine isn't fast...but it isn't slow any more).

As I've said before I was almost done with the car? Well I want to push the turbo into higher boost levels(18-20psi) so I've e-mailed Kris at KO Racing and am hoping he will be willing to do a buildup on the car. I'm aiming for 350-400whp on pump gas. My work is almost done building a new 40 million dollar shop up north in the oil sands and I will be going up there. So I figure if I'm working a week on and a week off I'm going to damn well be sure I have a fun toy for my week off. Oooh, and the wife drove the All-Trac last night for the first time and told me that she's going to steal it. OH NO!!!

pg

Any difference in gas milege or have you paid any attention to that?
I was also curious, what pressure is the spring in the Tial that comes with the kit...and at which PSI do those things need to be upgraded

TheNubkins

pg":36k4xuao said:
Any difference in gas milege or have you paid any attention to that?
I was also curious, what pressure is the spring in the Tial that comes with the kit...and at which PSI do those things need to be upgraded

I have been driving the car fairly hard lately because I was trying to calibrate my manual boost controller and testing out the new turbo. The Tial that comes with the kit is setup for 10psi. I'm assuming the wastegate should be good for a pretty decent boost level. We won't have any issues running 20psi. It's probably quite capable at handling anything the turbo can throw at it. Kris at KO would be able to answer that a lot better and I'm sure he choose a wastegate that is suited well to the output levels this turbo is capable of.

TheNubkins

I've decided to upgrade to the CS front bumper and hood to help with the installation of a front mount intercooler and relieve some of the heat generated by the engine. Everything required has been ordered up and now I have to play the waiting game. This project won't see any significant updates for quite some time. Funny I went from being almost finished to wanting to spend 15 grand on a buildup. This car is better at getting money out of me than my wife is!! Shame on it!!

TheNubkins

I just got the car back from the body-shop and the new bumper and hood look great. I've been in touch with Kris at KO Racing and he will be able to work on my car, but it might be a few weeks before anything gets going as he has to get through some of his work load first. Busy guy. :doh:

TheNubkins

RedCelicaTRD":2vhaw7g4 said:
Lookin' good 8)

Keep it out of the boost if it still has the top mount.

I definitely plan on babying it extra-well now that the top mount intercooler has been rendered useless. She won't be seeing anything higher than 3000rpm until all the work has been finished at KO Racing.

The car looks great in the daylight, but at night you can really see the contrast between the freshly painted hood/bumper and the swirl marks/scratches in the paint on the tops of the headlights and the fenders. I debated having the front fenders painted to blend with the hood/bumper but figured I would wait a few years and just give the car a full repaint.

redGT4

I like where your boost gauge is located. Is that a custom piece of trim? Your car is looking quite the beast. Interesting that your stock turbo ran out of steam at 120kph; mine still pulls hard to 160 in 4th at 10psi. Still a bigger turbo... :D

TheNubkins

redGT4":3bl6o7hz said:
I like where your boost gauge is located. Is that a custom piece of trim? Your car is looking quite the beast. Interesting that your stock turbo ran out of steam at 120kph; mine still pulls hard to 160 in 4th at 10psi. Still a bigger turbo... :D

The gauge location is a custom job. I had seen another person on this board do the same thing with great success so I attempted it. Here is a link to their gauge install.

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... c&start=60

I cut a hole in the original trim piece and used two part epoxy to fuse the pod housing to the trim. After it hardened I used some bondo type filler and then sanded like mad. My first attempt had some cracking and I painted it when the bondo was not perfectly dry(I did some wet sanding) so the paint looked off when it was all done. I recently added some more bondo, sanded, and repainted and it looks a lot better now. The stock turbo still pulled decently past 120km/h, but nothing to brag about. My 235hp V6 powered Hyundai screams past the Alltrac when it comes to high speed acceleration. The larger turbo made a big difference over the stock one when it came to this "test". I've been driving the car very sedately as my intercooler no longer has any airflow...so now it's useless until I get a nice front mount fabbed up. A year ago come December is when I originally flew down to New York State to pick up the car and drive it back to Edmonton, Canada. I wouldn't say it is a "beast"...yet. But most likely around December this year I will be driving it to the western side of the US for Kris at KO Racing to work his beautiful magic...and then it will be a beast. :D

pg

Looks great, stop by and let me have a look at her when you head down to KO.

I now have a problem with my SB turbo exhaust side, where it is now completly covered with surface rust while it has been sitting outside of the shop..

Wonder how to remedy that situation to make it look good again