My "Nothing Crazy" Project (Picture Dump Page 14)

Talk about your project car here

Postby TheNubkins » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Another minor update: The TEIN SS Coilovers with front pillowball mounts finally arrived. Thanks Rocketeer Performance. I'll hopefully get them installed this weekend.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by TheNubkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nubkins

-1990 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo
-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:27 pm

For the 2 people who will end up reading this thread(lol) here's another update. Firstly the TEINS went in without drama and after driving with them for a few weeks I feel they were a great investment for someone wanting a firmer ride with much better cornering abilities than the stock struts could provide. I admit they can be a little rough for some road conditions, but overall it's a great setup in my opinion. Mind you I am not planning on racing the car in any way so my perspective on these coilovers relates to a street-use only scenario.

I ended up going with 25mm H&R wheel spacers for the rear and must say that it makes the car look a whole lot meaner. Not just from the rear, but also from a front corner angle.

After consideration I decided to run a blowoff valve for when I install the KO Racing Street Brawler turbo kit. I decided to chance it venting to atmosphere first and purchased myself an HKS SSQV with steel flange. The other day I went in to work, drilled into the intercooler piping and mounted the flange. Unforunately we don't have any TIG welding machines at my work as we deal almost exclusively with MIG for very large welds. Needless to say the welds were not the prettiest due to using a less than ideal welding process. I didn't care as long as it was sealed up good. I ended up smoothing out the welds quite nicely afterwards so it all flows like it was a single piece. In the end it worked out I suppose, but it would have been nice to get my hands on a TIG machine for some nice looking welds. Anyhow the rest of the setup was fast and simple and I'm happy to say that I've had no problems running this blowoff valve. I've noticed no stalling or rough idling...in fact the car seems to run the same as before the SSQV was installed, both under low engine load, and hard acceleration.

I'm definately happy I decided to stick with this car as it looks a lot better than an STI in my opinion, and for an 18 year old car it's shape is still very modern. I still have a ways to go in order to keep up with an STI though...but hopefully I'll have her around that power level when I'm done. Kris at KO stated my turbo kit is almost done and should be shipping in the next two to three weeks. I may wait until then to post further pictures.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby syko says » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:21 pm

Oh boy, those are what I want really badly.. Teins.
Aloha,
Evan

RedCelicaTRD wrote:I've got my eye on you wise guy :|
syko says
Established Member

Postby WarTowels » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Get some pictures up, sheesh.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby TheNubkins » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:02 pm

WarTowels wrote:Get some pictures up, sheesh.

-Towels

Alright alright. :D You convinced me. HAHA. Here's a few pics I shot today to show the difference between my old pics with stock suspension against the new Teins plus the 25mm rear spacers. Right when I was leaving a very mint Lotus Esprit V8 twin turbo parked nearby. Unfortunately the owner of that car had just bought it and showed up to show it off to his buddy quickly, and zoomed off before I could get any cool pics or ask if he cared to do a double photo-shoot. Bummer eh? Needless to say I caught up with him but couldn't provoke a race due to traffic and we ended up heading off in opposite directions. Boo hoo. I would have gotten served anyways...but it would have been fun. In case anyone is curious they have a 3.5liter V8 twin turbo producing 355hp, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and they have a weight roughly 450lbs less than my Alltrac.

Here's a link to his drive-by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTrejiom2E

EDIT: Picture links broken and removed.
Last edited by TheNubkins on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby sikx5 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am

mate, love that offset! Looks tough as nuts!

do you know what offset those rims are?
sikx5
Club Member

Postby abraxxa » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Wonderful rims! Which are those?
facelift ST205
abraxxa
Club Member

Postby WarTowels » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Looking good!

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby Autobot » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:36 pm

How much was shipping on those Teins? Did you have to pay any duty charges on them?

Autobot
Established Member

Postby 93cc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 am

Nice looking car! I like the wheels too.
93 Black AllTrac
13 Scion FRS - Current Daily Driver
81 Black/Blue Celica - Sold
2007 Silver Tacoma Sport
93cc
Club Member

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby Tazka » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:43 am

Nice car.
How do you like the teins compared to stock?
Tazka
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby TheNubkins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:43 pm

abraxxa wrote:Wonderful rims! Which are those?

Thanks. They are actually a very cheap set of wheels compared to a lot of what's out there. They are Sport Edition KM11's 17x8 with a 35mm offset and they weigh 23lbs each. I am running H&R Trak+ 25mm spacer on the rears to flush them to the fenders. The pictures I posted on the first page of this project thread shows how they sat in the wheel wells before the spacers and before the Teins.

I'm going to have to roll the rear fenders coming up here as I noticed a small amount of rubbing when going over large bumps, and when cornering faster than one should. :twisted:

Autobot wrote:How much was shipping on those Teins? Did you have to pay any duty charges on them?

Total cost including shipping for the Teins came out to $1560 to Edmonton Canada. I purchased them from Rocketeer Performance. I think the duty on them was only around $40.

Tazka wrote:Nice car.
How do you like the teins compared to stock?

I'm very happy with the Teins for a street setup. I don't have any plans to use the car for racing, but from what I can tell they would do quite decently on the track. For the money they are great, although depending on how rough your roads are you might find them to be a little stiff. I'm used to the rougher ride now and feel that it's a fair compromise to make as the car feels glued to the road under hard cornering. Like I've mentioned before rear squat under acceleration is gone, as is nose dive under hard braking.

Another modification I now have planned for the car is a BayArea TMIC to replace my stock unit when I install the KO SB46 turbo kit.

P.S. Tazka, I've seen a few of the pictures you've posted of your car and I'll have to admit some of your nicer pics have spent more than a few days as the desktop background until my wife changed it. You've got a great looking car, and the photography skills to show it off. That's something I must work on. :)
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sun May 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Here's a very small update. Thanks to my neighbour my alarm system has been fixed so I no longer need to replace it...therefore I now have some peace-of-mind leaving the car parked outside. As well I have officially ordered up a new BayArea Top Mount Intercooler. As soon as the intercooler comes in expect more pictures as usual. This car sure is eating up a lot of money...but I'm enjoying it. After everything mechanical is finished with the car I will enjoy it for a while before continuing with all the picky cosmetic details I plan to address.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby Kcman91gts » Mon May 05, 2008 12:31 am

Wow those wheel spacers along with the drop on those tiens gives you a very aggressive stance very nice , may to shovel out some more money to get those instead of Ground controls.
Kcman91gts
Club Member

Postby alltracst185 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:56 pm

looks nice!!! now are'nt you happy you spent a little money on her? haha. keep it up and good luck.
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project