My "Nothing Crazy" Project (Picture Dump Page 14)

Talk about your project car here

Postby pg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 am

TheNubkins wrote:I think he misunderstood what I was asking about. According to him he thought I was only interested in getting my AFR/Timing info and wanted to tell me it's easily accessed and stored on the ViPEC. How is your car doing? Get it on a dyno yet?

My car is getting new paint, will have it back on thursday. Still have to tune it some more after that.

I'll be in calgary for a week in august so maybe ill take it to a dyno there!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
90 ST185 SB46 powered
[img]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8274/gtfour.jpg[/img]
pg
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am

While I wait for parts to arrive to finalize the intake I put the stock intake back on. Weirdly enough the car is boosting and driving fine again. The only issue that persists is the rough idle on a cold startup. The temporary intake with the AFM removed. Using only a vice and a clamp I crimped the round tube to a rectangle to better fit the opening on the airbox, welded it to the flange I made and walah...temporary AFM replacement. I retained the rubber gasket that was between the AFM and airbox and used it between the new flange and airbox to maintain a good seal.
Last edited by TheNubkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nubkins

-1990 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo
-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Bad news to update. Car was hit while parked on the side of the road. At least the person who hit the car left their info on my windshield. I'm very glad it's only the fender and not the newly installed hood/bumper.
Last edited by TheNubkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby DudeMan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Me, you and yowza have all been hit in the last few months now. Damn city.

Like you said at least it was just the fender.

How did the meet go?

Sorry I didn't make it. I was sick, hung over and busy as hell all Sunday. I cleaned my car up and was trying to get there but it just wasn't happening. Ill be there next year with the trac.
DudeMan
Club Member

Postby Autobot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:29 am

Wow, missed the rim, hood, and bumper. Lucky, should be an easy fix.

Autobot
Established Member

Postby Landon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 pm

wow man, that sucks but holy crap couldn't have been hit any better really. avoided most everything! coulda bent your rims, smashed your hood, etc. sorry about that though! i know how it goes. good luck with the fix. just a thought too but you might check these out.
http://celicatech.net/forums/showthread ... ge=1&pp=25
might be just same price as oem or just lighter and more amazing. just a thought!
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Postby timmey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Could have been a lot worse! Sorry to see though. Sigh.

I wish you a swift resolution!

Timmey
- 91 JDM Celica GT-Four A (Pre-facelift Widebody)
Project: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2926
timmey
Club Member

Re: My "Nothing Crazy" Project

Postby TheNubkins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

After a few months of neglect it's time to update!

First off the body damage that was done to the car is repaired. The body shop did an excellent job painting and installing the new body panel and corner light.

The car hasn't seen any miles since I had it retuned back in early December. We found an extra 40 peak hp at the wheels and an extra 23ft.lbs. Lightspeed did the tune with the factory air box removed so the car was sucking in air using the stock rubber ducting that leads from the air box assembly/AFM to the turbo.

We also found an that the ST185RC intercooler doesn't flow as well as many of us had hoped. We were seeing a pressure drop of ~4psi. The inlet to the intercooler core was seeing around 23psi whereas the outlet/manifold pressure was at 19psi. I have been trying to decide the fate of the intercooler. Do I want to get rid of the whole system and go to a front mount air to air setup, or maintain the water to air system I currently have installed and upgrade to a better flowing top mount core. I'm 99% sure I'll be sticking with the ST185RC core for a few reasons.

1-This is supposed to be a "Nothing Crazy" project. lol.
2-I'm sure come spring time I will be happy with the 262awhp the car is putting down
3-The house I'm having built should be done this summer so I'll have another expense in the form of buying massive amounts of new furniture, lawn care stuff, a fence, window coverings etc.
4-I want to start finishing the car off and call it done so I can enjoy it. I need to learn to put the brakes on my ambitions and be happy with the car.

I have a few parts there have been collecting dust for a while. Speed Source hooked me up with their poly engine mount kit, subframe bushings, and shifter base bushings. I also ordered up some valve cover bolts to replace the stock Toyota ones. I have a valve cover gasket to install in the spring so I'll swap out the bolts at that time.

I tend to get carried away with this car so I made a complete plan to finish the car off. I'll be sticking to it.

-Replace Armrest lid(has a crack/tear on the lid)
-Replace Cup holder(originally I thought it was the retaining clip...but the shaft that slides into this is broken)
-Fix Vent(x2) on passenger side(one keeps sliding out, the other is loose)
-Replace ABS cover(mine is missing)
-Install Speed Source Shifter Base Bushings
-Install Valve cover bolts
-Install new Valve cover gasket
-Tidy up the engine bay(wiring, paint some parts black)
-Clock turbo for better alignment to intercooler inlet
-Fix Antenna(doesn't come all the way up)
-Install Speed Source Crossmember bushings
-Install Speed Source Engine Mounts
-Invert resister packs to make room for straight intake
-New Battery PC680
-Install Darth Ripley/Just Joe battery/fuse mounting bracket
-Complete straight air intake(thermal barrier coating on exterior) with a mount for the boost controller solenoid
-Redo front leather seats
-Fix any rust
-Replace speakers/amp
-Fix AC
-Replace damaged ABS sensor

I've spoken with Darth Ripley/Just Joe and they have been great and agreed to make me a copy of their fusebox/battery mount bracket for me. They should have it ready for me around the time I'm all set to complete the air intake this spring. I'm sure many people out there will agree it's a very clean design.

Last edited by TheNubkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby Autobot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 am

Nice looking battery mount bracket. I did the rear trunk battery location or else I would consider that piece.

Autobot
Established Member

Postby mike325ci » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:34 am

seems to have come along nicely... yes, restraint is hard to practice, hehe, but you seem to keeping it under control fairly well. :)

btw, those engine mounts-- if you can, have someone else (i.e. a shop) press out the old bushings. i must have spent countless hours trying to get them out, time better spent doing something else and frustrations better spent elsewhere. trust me on this one-- you will not regret it. it's not as easy as "oh the old bushing/sleeve is slip right out!" as it says on the speedsource instruction sheet.

and oh, what kind of bribing did you have to do to get ripley/joe to make that bracket for you? it's freakin' sweeeeet...
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby TheNubkins » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:57 pm

mike325ci wrote:btw, those engine mounts-- if you can, have someone else (i.e. a shop) press out the old bushings. i must have spent countless hours trying to get them out, time better spent doing something else and frustrations better spent elsewhere. trust me on this one-- you will not regret it. it's not as easy as "oh the old bushing/sleeve is slip right out!" as it says on the speedsource instruction sheet.

Thanks for the heads up. I have access to a Ford dealership that I used to work at long ago and they are kind enough to let me use their shop on Saturdays if need be. The nice thing is if I get in over my head my mechanic friend is there to lend a hand or take over depending on how badly I get confused...lol :oops:

mike325ci wrote:and oh, what kind of bribing did you have to do to get ripley/joe to make that bracket for you? it's freakin' sweeeeet...

It's amazing what a lot of sincere flattery and money can do. :) Plus it doesn't hurt to ask.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby 1BADGT4 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:10 am

Was the 40 extra HP only from the intake? Or did he decided to lean up a bit?

If the 205 ic isn't as restrictive as your 185rc, that might be a better fix.
[img]http://iamhenrychan.com/images/1655.jpg[/img]
UT2 (SCW) Chan - Oakland, CA
04 Duc Monster DS
90 All-Trac/ GT4RC :: hydra 2.17 :: 880 :: sb46 :: 205ic
400BHP @ 20#, low 12s
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/1BADGT4[/url]
1BADGT4
Club Member

Postby TheNubkins » Sun May 09, 2010 9:49 am

1BADGT4 wrote:Was the 40 extra HP only from the intake? Or did he decided to lean up a bit?

If the 205 ic isn't as restrictive as your 185rc, that might be a better fix.

The 40 extra HP appeared to come from just removing the intake. The tuner did correct the firing order and matched it to a previous ST185 that he had tuned. Those two things combined seemed to help out a lot. It was re-tuned at the same AFR as the first tune.

I have the new battery and intake sitting at home. All that is left is the tray from Darth Ripley/Just Joe, which is also completed and should be shipped out to me shortly.

I considered going up to the ST205 core and selling my current ST185RC...but decided against it. I'll see how I like the car as is once it's back on the road. If I end up wanting a bit more power then I'll do a custom hi-flow water/air core...but that's a big IF because it will again require more tuning and that will have to be done on my dime...and considering how often I drive the car now(probably 300-600 miles a year) I don't think it would be worth the money for the extra few ponies.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

Postby Terracar » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 pm

That is just incredible 40hp from just removing the intake? The battery tray is an elegant piece - I assume you will be running a smaller battery?

Is the house built yet?

-Terracar
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Postby TheNubkins » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Yup yup. I have a nice new PC680MJT sitting here waiting to go in.

I flew back from work yesterday and took a look at the new house. Making progress slowly, but not as quickly as I would like. Possession was supposed to have been May 10th but now we're looking at an early August date due to the whole process getting a slow start thanks to bad weather.

Today I hope to get my intake welded up. I should have it back on the road today or tomorrow and can finally see how the extra 40whp feels.
The Nubkins

-2001 VW Golf TDI
TheNubkins
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project