It's been a while since I've had time to be active on this, and I've noticed pretty well all of my picture links are dead. About a year and a half ago I was enjoying the car, racing 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile tracks and really started to hate that my rev limiter was set to 7K by the tuner who did the car last build. I had a built motor and head(stock valves though, didn't want to go larger) and decided to push it to 8K rpm. Unfortunately the tuner I took it to ended up blowing the living shit out of my motor by doing a brand new tune. Pics below. Luckily for me I have some really great friends, a few of which own NXT LVL Motors in Calgary. They took on this project and saved me a ton of money and time. We addressed many shortcomings of the old build and this new one is going to be so much better for a street driven car. There is a bit of wiring and odds and ends left and it'll be waiting for a tune in the spring. Future plans are to make the car cosmetically amazing inside and out. Brace yourself for a huge picture dump below.
While on the dyno we noticed the car really seemed to struggle with breathing - getting rid of exhaust. You could even hear it...a very strange sound. After everything went kablooie and the car was getting torn apart I noticed my 3" Motoria twin tip exhaust was a sham! Indeed it was 3" piping, but the outlets on the muffler were something like 1.25" ID each. This is something that I never really paid attention to back in the day when I purchased this exhaust. It worked out that I was technically running an exhaust not much larger than 2" because of this restriction. Ordered up a new 3" inlet muffler with much larger 2.5" outlets.
Next I wanted to address the poor flow characteristics of the stock intake manifold that no doubt contributed to my engine's demise. I even recalled reading about this problem in the "power primer" but didn't pay enough attention to this part. So, I sourced some material and design specs from a great guy from Calgary who is on these forums, and who also helped me out massively with selling me parts for so incredibly cheap. Not only did I pick up the intake parts/design but a set of pistons and crank for a stroker build. Below are some pics of the intake fabrication and customization to get this to work on my engine bay.
While the engine was apart it was decided I needed a new block, so one was sourced. Another 2nd gen 3S-GTE block. A great guy who has done millions of port/polish jobs was curious to see my head and was very impressed with the design. Way to go Yamaha. He said he would do a mild port/polish and ended up doing an amazing job and undercharged me horribly for his services. God bless his soul.
With the intake and exhaust dealt with we also decided to go for a pricey turbo upgrade. I wasn't after crazy peak power and wanted something a lot better suited for street driving and the odd track day. This meant twin scroll. After looking at different turbos and whatnot it was decided to go with a Borg Warner EFR series 7163 twin scroll with integrated boost control solenoid, bypass valve, and internal waste gate. This of course meant making a custom tubular exhaust manifold to properly position the turbo so I could still use a 3" downpipe, retain the air conditioning, and still manage to clear the clutch slave. The flange I sourced online turned out to fit horribly. The ports lined up like ass, and the stud holes were so badly matched that the thing wouldn't fit. I had a second head at home and took some measurements and did up a cad drawing and had a stainless steel flange cut. This one fit so much better. A jig was made to position the turbo properly, and NXT LVL Motors went to work. If anyone is interested in this piece more can be made.
With this done the downpipe needed to be made, and had to clear the AC compressor. Many pie cuts later the 3" stainless downpipe was done, and like the manifold and exhaust side of the turbo it got a full treatment of ceramic coating.
Here's a mashup of various pictures through the stages of the build.
Getting some paintless dent repair done on the passenger fender. Also notice the previous shop's intercooler mouting tab on the driver side broke so my intercooler is crooked. This bothered me so much. Is now fixed!
And of course some PROPAGANDA pictures
and some other pics of the car.