Project Autobot

Autobot

History:

I had wanted to buy an All-Trac since high school but never had the funds. When I was searching for my first vehicle in '02, I had actually passed on my All-Trac with only 95, 000 kms on it because of the price tag ($12, 999 through a Toyota dealership in Winnipeg). I ended up buying a '92 Celica GT but always regretted passing up the Trac. In late March '05 Larry Klassen mentioned that his car would possibly be up for sale. I picked up his car for $9500 in May '05, after 2 months of negotiation. It had 140, 000 kms, RC front bumper, K&N filter, JDM tranny, stock engine, System 10, leather, updated A/C, new front struts & springs and no rust.

CelicaAlltrac01.jpg

CelicaAlltrac02.jpg

Autobot

After sorting out satefy inspection documents, the car was on the road in June '05. Then, one week after insuring the car, tragedy stuck. The engine started knocking and moments later the car died. I ended up buying a JDM engine from Tokyo Motor Imports in Montreal and picked up a new Aussie downpipe from a board member. By August '05 I was back on the road.

JDM Engine:
NewEngine01.jpg

Aussie Downpipe:
AussieDownpipe.jpg

Autobot

I drove the car for one month, then in September '05, tragedy stuck again. While on the highway, a black bear cub came out onto the opposite lane. I slowed down to 70 km/hr, and hit it at the front driver's side. The hood crumpled up, blocking my view and steam immediately came out of the engine bay. The car was still running, so I pulled over onto the shoulder. I managed to catch a ride home, 500 kms away. The insurance company told me they would only pay to have it towed to the nearest shop so after work, I went down with some friends, loaded it onto a trailer owned by my boss and brought it home. After haggling with the insurance company, I wrote the car off for $11,600 and bought it back for $1500.

Pics after the journey home:

All-TracPassenger.jpg

All-TracFront.jpg

All-TracDriversSide.jpg

All-TracBumper.jpg

Autobot

Over the next 11 months from September '05 to August '06, I searched for replacement parts and brought the car to the body shop to get all the work done. At that time, the battery was relocated to the trunk. I picked up a new RC bumper from the dealership and managed to find a damaged RC hood from Snowbird.

CSHood01.jpg

CSHood02.jpg

CSHood03.jpg

Autobot

Parked the car for the winter of '06. In '07, I painted my All-Trac hood off my GT black and installed it for a lack of WTA intercooler. I changed the emblems on the rear:

Dragonemblems71-72.jpg

GT-FourDecal-1.jpg

I installed the JDM rain guards:

DSCN0069.jpg

I upgraded the stereo to the Kenwood KDC-717DVD head unit and added a Pioneer sub and amp. Perfect fit when the screen is open, it doesn't hit the shifter or A/C controls. Stock System 10 door subs, speakers and amp still function as well.

ClosedDeck.jpg

Side.jpg

I also installed the ACE Engineering rear strut tower brace. An Autostart car alarm/remote starter was also installed.

Autobot

I drove the Trac during the winter of '07. A friend crashed into my GT with his sled, so I had no choice. I had problems with the battery dying and found the culprit to be the alternator. I purchased a new alternator from Strike Auto in Winnipeg and saw that they were working on Lamard's white ST185. After accumulating a few parts, I decided to bring my car to Strike Auto in February '08 to have everything installed while I had 10 days off work. My turbo had blown after hitting the bear and I found a new CT27 turbo and got the parts for a WTA intercooler set-up. The shop owner Jon found a faulty head gasket and the head was sent out to be cleaned up. What I had planned to be a simple install has turned out to be 2 months of waiting for new parts to arrive while my car sits in the shop engine-less. New pics soon...

syko says

great read! I remember your car being hit by a bear, but never saw pics of the car. Glad youre okay though. Youve had several unfortunate instances and I find it great youve stuck with her the whole way through!

RedCelicaTRD

Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but I'll have to assume the stereo is installed in the lower slot? Also, can you open and close it with the shifter in 1,3 or 5th?

Corey

Wow, thats quite the recovery. Nicely done :)

Did you have the stock steel bumper bar installed, or the RC aluminum one when the bear hit the car?

Autobot

RedCelicaTRD":33phz3ck said:
Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but I'll have to assume the stereo is installed in the lower slot? Also, can you open and close it with the shifter in 1,3 or 5th?

Yep, installed in the lower slot. The screen doesn't clear the shifter when opening or closing though. I usually leave it open when shifting. It clears for 2nd, 4th, and reverse.

Corey Darling":33phz3ck said:
Did you have the stock steel bumper bar installed, or the RC aluminum one when the bear hit the car?

I had the aluminum RC bumper support bar when the bear hit the car. I still have it on there. The bear managed to hit the bumper and hood and come up over the bar, leaving the frame intact.

Hotrodhendrix":33phz3ck said:
Got any pics of the rain guards on the car from a distance?

I only took a few dark pics while in the garage, I'll have to see if the new pics I took last weekend turn out ok. I reinstalled Windows and I forgot the install CD for my camera in the car, just had to download the program. :doh:

Autobot

I toyed with the idea of buying Lamard's car when he was thinking of selling. Pretty sure the bear cub died so the All-Trac could live!

Autobot

The shop now has all the parts I've ordered. I forgot to snap pics of: 1.4mm TTE head gasket, ATS CT27 turbo, NGK spark plug wires, NGK Iridium spark plugs, new Toyota distributor rotor & cap, Greddy Type RS BOV, new Toyota speedometer cable, ST205 heat exchanger, pump and lines, H&R 25mm rear wheel spacers, Toyota turbo gasket kit, HFH, HFHOE, TWM short shifter, ARP flywheel bolts, extended clutch slave cylinder pushrod...might still be forgetting something.

Anyways, more pics of parts. :D

ACT 6 Puck Unsprung Clutch & PP
ACTClutch01.jpg

ACTClutch02.jpg

ARP Head Studs
ARPHeadStuds.jpg

ASI Performance Radiator
ASIRadiator01.jpg

ASIRadiator02.jpg

ASIRadiator03.jpg

ASIRadiator04.jpg

Speed-Source Crossmember Bushings, Stainless Steel Clutch Line