Nitro Alltrac's '92 185

Talk about your project car here

Re: Nitro Alltrac's '92 185

Postby gtfour77 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Mike, Looking great! Also, there will be an autocross next weekend at the Hurricane Wave Pool. You shoul stop by if you can, my alltrac will be half finished but should be there....half way...heh (Sunday April 18)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Martin V.
Toyota Celica Alltrac 561 SM
Toyota MR2 Turbo 35 SSM
[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1201/4724980930_bae7a66436_m.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/4732468717_5fa2397872.jpg[/IMG][IMG] http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/4733097366_b4da49c0eb.jpg[/IMG]
gtfour77
Established Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Hey Martin! Thanks.

I'll see what I can do about making it to the autocross. I'm moving to San Antonio TX in a couple of weeks so I'm in full blown rush mode right now but I'll see what I can do. I'd like to see it and check out you car.
Mike

92 All Trac - Daily Driver

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:47 am

Got some updates. I've got a few things done since I moved to Texas.

First off, I've some work done on installing my ST205 WTA intercooler. I picked up a stock Cobra heat exchanger from a member over at AT.net. If I remember correctly I got it for about $40. It's an actual Garrett piece. The only problem with it is there are no mounting tabs on it. Ford uses some Rube Goldberg bracket set up. The also must make the thing out of unobtainium as the bastard is well over $100 from Ford for basically a bent up strip of sheet metal. I posted up asking for ideas and ChrisD sent me some pictures of how he installed his. I used his idea and made my brackets.

What I did was go to Lowes and get a couple of pieces of 1"x1/8" aluminum strip and some all thread rod.

I cut four mounting plates. I decided that I'd mount the bottom brackets to the bottom of the front crash bar. I cut the top plates about 3 inches wide on the top (about a an inch wider than the heat exchanger on each side) and about 4.5 inches on the bottom to give me enough room bolt it to the crash bar.

After I had the plates cut, I got the measurements for the holes for the bracket but centering the heat exchanger and then measuring from there.

Once the plates were drilled I mocked things up and cut the allthread to the right length.

I figured it would be good to put some kind of insulator between the brackets and the heat exchanger. While at Lowes I found these light switch insulation. They're like 1/8" foam. I cut strips just a little wider than the brackets and put them between the brackets and the heat exchanger.

Once everything was cut, I bolted the first one together. I put the brackets all the way out to the end of the core next to the tanks.

After I got that one on I realized that I was a dumbass and had only bought for sets of nuts and washers. SO, back to Lowes for more. Once I had them I got the other side together and was ready to mount it on the car.

I mounted the heat exchanger to the car by drilling a hole in each of the lower mounting brackets and small pilot hole in the bottom of the crash bar. I then used a 1/4" sheet metal bolt. The heat exchanger sits above the crash bar and get air flow through the top of the bumper grille. Here's what it looks like mounted and the second shot is of of the mounting to the crash bar.

I've still got to mount the water pump and the electrical distibution block and run the wiring. I'll be doing that shortly. Mixmaster at AT.net is getting me a 205 throttle body connector. I bought one for the 165 which is supposed to work with the 205 intercooler but you have to stretch the hell out of it. I'll probably be selling that one. Once I get the throttle body adapter, I'm going to finish things up and get the intercooler on. I have to get the water hoses and put the heat insulation on the intercooler. That will be happening soon.

Next up, I picked up a rear wiper assembly off of a 90 GTS I found in one of the local pick and pulls last weekend. A previous owner had removed the wiper and the rear spoiler. He fill the holes but not really well. I worked on the wiper hole a good bit before I painted the car and got it where it didn't show in primer but once the paint went on you could see. I had been thinking about putting the wiper back on but hadn't even found a hatchback in any of the yards. I was really surprised to find this one last week. I planning on going back tomorrow and hopefully pull the fog lights and few other things. Only the System 10 door panels and the radio face plate were gone last week. Here's the wiper on the car.

Finally, this morning I put the GTS fuel/temp/volt gauge in the cluster. A previous owner had removed the factory boost gauge. I'm not sure how or what they did, but there was nothing there but the hole with the pin for the needle sticking through. Nothing else, just a crappy looking gauge face. I had remember seeing Ben's (donteatthebugs) set up at one of the Dragon Runs. Ben has a little write up in this post on how to do the swap. It's really easy. See post 33.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showth ... 977&page=2

The swap works fine. Here are some pics.
With the key off.

With the key at ACC.

At idle.

That's about it for now.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby mike325ci » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:02 am

Lookin good~!! I need to soon install my W2A IC, so it's helpful to see how everyone else is doing theirs... Photos help, thanks~

And oh, didn't know about the GTS Voltmeter guage swap. Very nice! I will have to do that, now that I have an aftermarket boost gauge... Thanks for the link!
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:15 am

The volt meter swap is easy. I took the boost gauge icb out. Since the gauge is gone might as well take out the board. I just ran a jumper wire from bolt 1 like Ben shows to the ground bolt. Works like a charm.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:05 pm

That gauge idea is cool Mike. I am going to Look into that myself.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Wicked Toys » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Good progress Mike.

Like said all these latest W2A ideas have been a huge help for me too. And I as well and digging the volt gauge idea.
Wicked Toys
Club Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:48 pm

I like the volt gauge. If I would of had this the end of April/first of May, I wouldn't have needed to have the car towed due to the dead alternator. I looked into the aftermarket gauges and almost went that way. I got the GTS cluster from a guy on Celicatech for $20. I like the stock look to it. It's working great so far.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby darthripley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 am

looking good Mike - good to see you making progress with the ST205 WTA setup.

the voltmeter idea is nice & you did a really nice install with it.
i just really hate how vague the stock voltmeters are, like the boost gauge.
the AFR gauge i have also has a turbo timer & voltmeter built into it which is nice to see actual numbers for voltage instead of just guessing.

we were in san antonio to pick up an MR2 shell this past friday - thought of you but it was so late & we wanted to make the trip all in one day. we waved hi to you though lol :oops:
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 am

That's Keri.

Next time you guys are down this way, give me a yell. I was off Friday getting the car registered. It wasn't as bad as I had expected. I was going to get my driver's license done but they were lined out the door of the building 15 deep and I can only imagine how many were inside. Last day of the month so what do I expect.

I'd like to get up and see you guys and your collection soon. Hopefully I can work that out. Mixmaster and I are going to meet up here soon. He's got a 205 TB coupler coming in with some other stuff from the UK. Hopefully we can all get together sometime in the fall for a mini-meet.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby MixMaster » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 am

Looks nice Mike!
I'm sending you a PM about the one in the yard.
Might make a trip down there fri if they have what I need. Are you going to be around?

I gave no love on the drive through either. I was in South Padre until Sunday though but waved as I passed through S.A. also...lol

Whenever Joe and Keri are ready, I'm up for the meet.
'93 All-Trac Red- JDM swapped
'06 BMW 325i
'08 Chevy Tahoe
MixMaster
Club Member

Postby darthripley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 am

I wasn't sure what part of town you lived in or anything. We were picking up the car around 35 & Weinard?? (can't totally remember)
The U-Haul place we had to go to was at Military Dr. about 25 minutes from where the car was. :shoots:

We will definitely have to get together in the fall for a meet/hill country cruise when some of this damn heat goes away. I'm thinking maybe after Halloween but way before Thanksgiving.
It's even gotten to me lately being 102-105 up here in Dallas lately ... we were working outside Saturday unloading the U-Haul & Joe made me go inside b/c I was close to a heat stroke - I didn't realize I had stopped sweating :|

Be sure & shout if you're up in this neck of the woods too - you're welcome to come by & visit anytime :)
Same thing goes for you Mixmaster - we owe you a dinner & beer!
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:19 am

Been a while so a quick update on something I did today.

I finally found a shifter plate that had good tabs to hold the shift boot in place. The only thing was it was scuffed up and didn't look so good. I had thought about painting it but wasn't really keen on that idea. I had seen so thing about the 3M vinyl that has the carbon fiber pattern on it and had considered using it. I think the Captain or someone here has a post about using it. Any way, I finally broke down and bought a few feet of it off of Ebay last week. It came in the mail on Monday so I decide to go head and try to put it on today. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I did check out a few install vids on YouTube first and that helped a lot.

Here are a few pics of the process.

Here's what I started with. I cleaned the plate really good with Mean Green degreaser first to make sure that the vinyl would stick good.

The vinyl I bought is about a foot wide so I cut a piece that allow for some overlap. Here's what it looked like after just laying the vinyl over the plate.

I spent about 10-15 minutes working with a hair dryer to get it formed over the corners and edges. That worked really well and was pretty easy. A regular hair dryer running high softened it up really good and allowed it form over the plate. Here's what it looked like after it had been heated and trimmed up.

Once that was done, it was just a matter of reinstalling the plate back in the car.

This was really easy to do and I think makes a big difference in the interior. I've still got some more and I'm trying to decide what else I'm going to use it for. I'm thinking about doing the radio plate next.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby Corey » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:56 am

Nice job, looks good.

I'm thinking about doing the radio plate next.

Agreed
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby darthripley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:25 pm

looks good Mike, nice job getting it all formed around the edges.
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to My Project