Project Stormbringer

Dracov

Things are still progressing, just nothing really worth noting as yet. Except that my shopping list of parts to get is running very thin these days, so that's one good thing at least.

The pictures might come back some time, but are likely to be out of commission for a while due to home life crap.

Dracov

So this weekend I had a chance to head up to the old place. I got the exhaust manifold and turbo reattached. Put on new HFHs using Samco silicone hoses and heat shielding for the 45-degree hose and installed my freshly cleaned fuel injectors into the rail. Overall not much was done but the engine sure does look a lot nicer now. I'm hoping this turns into a regular thing now and that I can get this machine back on the road before too much longer.

UtahSleeper

Glad she is getting closer.

I am starting to get a bug to hurry and get mine going. Once I reassemble my corolla then the trac will probably get some time in the garage for once.

Dracov

Welp, it has officially been entirely too long now. Life, such as it is, managed to interfere rather heavily over the last few years and eventually piecing my Alltrac back together started to feel like a daunting task. But with some semi-local help I managed to bang out assembling the new motor and getting everything plumbed all nice.

Had to pore over parts diagrams and vacuum diagrams to try and figure out the 205's integration. Came out easier than I expected so that was nice. I opted not to put the aircon back together at this time, but that will happen eventually as I would really, really, like to have a car with working a/c. :p

But, naturally there are some teething issues to sort out. Mainly that she doesn't want to go into idle on her own, and when she does it's down around 500 and very rough. She does freely rev though. Timing is 10BTDC, injectors are in the correct order. New ignition components around, though the coil is reading a little high on primary resistance. She pulls about 10-12 inches of vacuum while idling, which ought to be better too. I'm pretty well stumped at this point, so time for a break methinks.

vIYIXrQ.jpg

Obligatory engine bay shot now that's she's essentially complete again :)

I figured that I should bump and reply(despite not really being on the forum much anymore) as I am the semi-local help. :D

I'm still awed and amazed you've kept onto this one for so long. Hopefully we can figure out a why to the idling issue; this one is kinda a headscratcher.

Dracov

Aight, break time over. Everyone back on your heads!

From an abundance of caution I went ahead and cleaned up the ISCV. It was pretty grimey but I still saw clear signs of movement so I doubt it was stuck. Either way it's a helluva lot cleaner now:
q6RD6Gl.png

I also grabbed a new coil because I've seen too many of them die precisely at 25 years old and this one is hovering right around that mark. Once I get in some connector terminals to finish my CEL 54 defeater I'll be able to test fire again. Hopefully this scattershot method fixes something that needed fixing :p

Dracov

While waiting on some connector terminals to arrive I thought I'd try and install my Whiteline rear swaybar.

I do not have a sufficient vocabulary of expletives and eldritch curses to rain down upon whoever designed the ass end. At this point I have to actually remove my exhaust just to be able to fit the bar into place. Which is a fun trick considering one of the bolts for the muffler's flange is completely obscured by the subframe, so I have narry a clue how that got assembled in the first place. And to make matters more fun its partner was rusted enough to simply shear at the first signed of torque being put to it, so now I have that going for me. Which is bullshit.

At this rate the only thing I can think to do is drop the rear subframe but I really am not wanting to go through that much bother

Dracov

Qapla'!!!

Through the precision efforts of scattershot repairs, including but not limited to: New coil, cleaned ISCV, new spark plugs, reset timing, and a fully armed and operational CEL 54 defeater, my Alltrac...err excuse me, "Turbo 4WD" Celica starts and idles smooth as a purring kitten. Adjusting for gauge calibration I read about 15 inches of vacuum at 1200 idle while cold. Might still have a vacuum leak somewhere but I can worry about that later, finally.

Dracov

Finally, after several days of fighting, cursing, and bleeding I just managed to get my Whiteline rear swaybar installed, along with Energy Suspension greasable bushings, and some shiny new end links..

Just for the record, I had to:
  • Unbolt both rear struts
    Unbolt both rear brake calipers
    Remove the center mounting bolts from the differential
    Remove an acorn nut from the ABS hump
    Sacrifice a live virgin pizza to some dark elder god of mechanics

2DJpB06.jpg

And there it is, at long last. :)

Corey

I think you will really like how that swaybar improves the handling on your car.

Just a word of caution regarding those stainless endlinks.
I'm not sure which brand you have chosen, but I once used the TwosRus Stainless Steel Endlinks on my car with the Whiteline swarbar. Unfortunately, the endlinks lasted about 8000 km before the joints became loose enough to the point that every bump on the road caused a noticeable knocking noise while driving. I was even able to reproduce the knocking noise by hand with enough force.

Maybe I just had a bad set, but I suspect that dust/dirt etc got into the joints while street driving the car, which accelerated the wear because the links are not sealed.

I switched back to OEM Toyota endlinks and haven't had an issue for nearly 60,000 km now.

Dracov

Yeah, I've heard some other horror stories to that effect. These were bought and paid for many moons ago so it's not like I can return them. I'll just run them until they die and worry about replacements then.

As for improved handling... Some PO before me removed the stock rear bar and left it like that, so this isn't even an improvement over stock; it's outright repairing previous fuckery