abraxxa's ST205

aus jd 2703

Is the oil cooler delete just a plate or is there more to it? I'm curious to do this to relieve strain from the cooling system and use a more efficient air to oil cooler

abraxxa

It has an O-ring and a hollow screw. Initially it was mounted using four screws on the Gen 3 but the Gen 4 doesn't have them so my engine builder had to modify it.

abraxxa

Much has happened, the car runs great but I'm still waiting for getting it dyno tuned.

In the meantime I've bought new wheels :D
After six years on 225/35/18 on 18x7.5J I was tired of the hard ride:

IMG_9990.jpg

Federal 595 RS-R 235/40/17 semislicks on OZ Crono Evo 17x8J.

I LOVE THEM, now it rides so nicely! :notworthy:

abraxxa

Just realized I haven't posted any updates here in a while (moved to our house, became father :D ).
This weekend I finally rebuilt the ST205 front calipers. Went like a charm with the gt4dc.co.uk guide, thanks two_OH_five.
In the process I've also installed a RHD brake fluid reservoir because the LHD didn't clear my C-One front strut bar and I had installed it 180 degrees rotated for the last years.
Pictures coming!

abraxxa

My ST205 is going Elite, Haltech Elite 1500 :D
The Platinum 1000 is already sold and Elite installation and tuning will follow in the coming weeks.
I hope to finally get a dyno sheet of the 2.2 BC stroker this time.

eddie_gt4

abraxxa":1043ep7l said:
(...) I've also installed a RHD brake fluid reservoir because the LHD didn't clear my C-One front strut bar and I had installed it 180 degrees rotated for the last years.
Pictures coming!

could you please write more about this mod? (with some pictures)
I think I'll have the same problem with Laile Beatrush front strut bar in my LHD ST205 :|

and btw, very nice OZ Crono's!
what exact offset are they?

abraxxa

Took me some time to get the Lightroom to Gallery 3 publishing service working again but now they are up: my gallery

Also received the Elite 1500 last week and installed it in the car.
Didn't start it up yet as the battery is charging. :)

abraxxa

aus jd 2703":3kg9k418 said:
Is the oil cooler delete just a plate or is there more to it? I'm curious to do this to relieve strain from the cooling system and use a more efficient air to oil cooler

I've seen that the Gen 5 from the ST246 has no oil/water heat exchanger aka cooler but still the 3S block with the mounting location for it. Toyota fabricated a part for closing it instead so there is even an OEM option available.

abraxxa

The Elite 1500 is now running fine after having problems with the home signal. It seems both one of the wires used from the distributor is bad as well as one of the Haltech E11v2 wiring harness. After repinning both the home sensor connector and the Haltech 26pin connector it works fine now.
Road tuning will follow as well as swapping the front swaybar back to the OEM one from the C-One to only have the stronger C-One in the back which should help getting rid of the slight understeer.

TheNubkins

Any updates with this? Tuned yet? I'm curious to know how you find the increased displacement and new turbo. How common are ST205's in Europe? One day I wouldn't mind importing one from Europe to Canada so I don't have to deal with right hand drive imports as they are commonly brought over here from Japan.

abraxxa

Road tuning by my engine builder and Haltech tuner showed problems with the boost control. He suggested to change to the strong 1.2bar actuator, didn't help, suggested to change to the Turbosmart IWG-75 dual port actuator, didn't help again. He suspects a clogged or otherwise to restrictive catalyst converter but I hadn't had the time to get it on a lift to check that.
It reached 1.8 bar @4000rpm but quickly fell off to about 1.2bar.
Still enough to close in on a Porsche Cayman GT4, overtake it and outrun it at 275+ km/h. :D
The goal is still to reach 300km/h.

abraxxa

On another attempt the boost problem was found: the Catco cat which came with the 3“ Aussie frontpipe from Fensport is a ceramic one that‘s only good for about 200HP according to my tuner. A larger, better flowing HJS cat is ordered and should finally fix the boost control problems.
The engine was only able to get to about 1.2bar above 4500rpm so I‘m super excited how much the new cat will improve the top end.

abraxxa

I just recognized that I haven't updated my thread for quite a long time.
Thanks mainly because of house, children, building a three car garage and now garden. :doh:

The less restrictive cat didn't solve the boost problems, interestingly the engine only felt stronger off-boost.

The Gen 4 engine went last year after it started to burn water about two years ago. The sleeve of cylinder two has a crack nearly top to bottom.
I shouldn't have used the sleeved Gen 4 engine when I bought it eight years ago.

After searching for some weeks I decided to buy a 3S-GE Beams red-top from a Celica SS-III from the UK which looked really good compared to the Gen 4 back then.
My engine builder and tuner already finished moving my BC stroker into it, this time with factory cams as he believes the head is able to flow enough for my power goals. The intake valves are 1mm and the exhaust ones 0.5mm larger than the GTE ones.
And finally VVTi :D
This time I choose a HKS headgasket as it has the hole for the VVTi oil passage, 1.6mm to compensate the GE head and the machining of head and block.
We also used ARP head and main studs.
I've installed the engine last weekend and the car is already at the shop of the guy who built my manifold to adapt it as the Beams head has the 3rd and 4th runners closer together.
Maybe I'll go drive-by-wire immediately or after it runs with the cable.

No pictures so far as I need to invest some time in my picture gallery on my website first.