Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

Thank you photobucket!! All the pics in the thread have been updated.

Lots of changes recently in life. A new baby will do that!

The Alltrac has mostly been sitting quietly under a cover for nearly the last year. Did some maintenance, got the clutch clevis welded up:

Before, with visible wear from internal rubber disintegrating:

K8jCuMP.jpg

And all welded up:

6Mldgbg.jpg

kzgG6Ve.jpg

I have been contemplating selling the Alltrac... But I don't know if anybody else would appreciate it like I do. I have a '99 4Runner now that has been 4WD swapped. It is begging for a 2jz swap now. Maybe the Alltrac goes back to daily driver status for that project. :D

-Charlie

FC Zach

phattyduck":3epumzqv said:
Thank you photobucket!! All the pics in the thread have been updated.

I've noticed this. . I would suggest Flickr in the future if PB is bad about doing this.

tbutton

After finding this thread today, I read the entire thing and watched every video, looked at every photo. This car is so rad!

I saw in your last post that you mentioned thinking about selling the All Trac. Have those thoughts evolved at on in the past 2 years or is she still sitting on a cover?!? I ask because if you were still having those thoughts, I would be a serious interested buyer with a massive appreciation for what you have done with this car and I'm even your neighbor in El Sereno.

I really want the "fun" version of the 1990 Camry DX I've had as my daily driver for the past 6-7 years. I love this thing still has the factory cassette deck in it too!

phattyduck

I still have the car and have been driving it about 50/50 shared with the 4Runner. Most recently just replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders... used the ST185 master made by Aisin, hoping it will last longer than the last two did (parts store crap). It is almost approaching time to do the timing belt service! I've put nearly 50k miles on the engine since I got it (started its US life in a FWD Camry).

leyziToh.jpg

Since that last major post, we we had twins (about 3 months ago) - so once again quite busy with 'other' life things. Heck, the clutch master went bad 3 weeks after the twins were born and it took 10 weeks to find time to replace it! It is back up and running and I'm trying to track down a rattle on the passenger side that has been driving me crazy for a couple years. It is either at the base of the b-pillar or in the rear door... I've even sat in the back seat with panels off and I still can't track it down. It is a bit sad to see the paint and other exterior bits get sun blasted, but otherwise the car is still in great shape and I do drive it when I can.

I suppose I would still consider selling the car - it is hard to imagine finding somebody willing to pay what it is worth to me. Also, someone willing to put up with all the foibles of a 30 year old 'performance' car. I haven't followed Alltrac (Celica) prices recently to see how those are going... who knows.

-Charlie

tbutton

I'm no psychologist but these sound like two very similar ways of saying you're not quite ready to part with the car. :D

I have been contemplating selling the Alltrac... But I don't know if anybody else would appreciate it like I do.

I suppose I would still consider selling the car - it is hard to imagine finding somebody willing to pay what it is worth to me.

I think you'll continue to enjoy it and maybe one day it will show up here for sale and then we'll all know you're serious about selling it! I'll continue to follow along with this thread as it's always cool to watch such a detailed documentation of any kind of project, car or otherwise.

Cheers!

phattyduck

tbutton":2kj5ncn2 said:
I'm no psychologist but these sound like two very similar ways of saying you're not quite ready to part with the car. :D

Cheers!
Probably! It is a challenge to keep up on all the little items with the car these days - I bought the car when I was single and renting, now have a wife, house, 3 kids, etc. 99% of my driving is commute or with the family, so it doesn't really get used for what it was built for. It still works as a daily driver though, which is nice.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Just passed over 200k miles (about 50-60k since the ST205 swap)... Time for a major service!

The plan:
Timing belt / water pump / etc (all OEM parts)
Accessory belts
Re-build oil filter relocation setup
Re-poly torque motor mounts
Change rear diff mounts to poly to reduce NVH
Replace rear lateral link pillow balls (new OEM parts)
Oil change
Brake fluid change
PS fluid change
Trans fluid change

All the timing belt work is just in time - there is a new oil leak on the motor that looks like a cam seal issue that started since the last oil change. I'll see the details when I tear into the timing belt change. There's also a fairly new clunk in the rear end. It is either swaybar end links or the lateral link pillow balls - hopefully it is obvious when I tear into the rear end.

-Charlie

phattyduck

phattyduck":gzvv7aiu said:
there is a new oil leak on the motor that looks like a cam seal issue that started since the last oil change. I'll see the details when I tear into the timing belt change.
Working *very slowly* on this. Timing belt work is in progress now. Have it all torn apart, ready for cleaning and new parts. Here's the carnage:

UfYDsDPh.jpg

CSDhbEVh.jpg

3Qf04Zyh.jpg

TrHr9dCh.jpg

O7J6ZRdh.jpg

Leaking: PCV valve grommet, intake and exhaust cam seals, maybe crank seal and AC o-rings at the compressor.

I'm pretty sure I have all the OEM cam/crank seals in my new-parts box, I just have to find them. AC is more disappointing - I still have R12 in there. I'll have to find somebody who can evacuate it, then I'll be getting new o-rings and dryer and a re-fill. I'd like to keep R12 if possible...

I only get 1 hour here or there to work on it, so progress has been slow (took more than a month off just due to weather and smoke recently).

-Charlie

tbutton

That smoke and weather have been such a killer the past month around here and it just started coming back the past few days after a little break. Makes it nearly impossible to do anything anywhere that isn't fully climate controlled.

Look forward to continuing watching this car evolve!

Hey man long time no talk. Maybe think about replacing the tensioner while your in there if its still apart. I still have my All-trac Camry but it sat for a long time because it jumped timing but still would run I couldn't figure it out. It took forever to find a crank angle sensor and then that didn't fix it. I had to move and after that I finally figured it out so its running again and I am about to put it back into service.
image.php

phattyduck

CTechBlueDragon":2usjz6du said:
Hey man long time no talk. Maybe think about replacing the tensioner while your in there if its still apart.
The tensioner is definitely getting done. The OEM one is probably pretty reliable, but it has 10+ years and ~60k miles on it now... Not worth the risk. All the leaking parts (other than the PCV grommet) are original from '95, so no complaints there. I ended up getting brand new OEM cam/crank/oil pump seals to install. At this age, even if one isn't leaking I think its reasonable to do.

Aside from the smoke that's all over now, I bought and fixed up a 2000 Camry for my father-in-law over the last month... gotta get back on the Alltrac again!

-Charlie

phattyduck

So, turns out you need to remove the downpipe (!!!) to change the water pump due to a series of part inferences. AC bracket has to come off, which means AC compressor has to come off, but 3s-fe Camry AC lines interfere with the downpipe, so the downpipe has to move to get the AC compressor out of the way. Fun times. Didn't run into it before, because the last time I did these parts, the engine was out of the bay...

In other news, I started the oil filter relocation setup. New filter location:

zrxriHah.jpg

LtCBjOEh.jpg

I used two bulkhead NPT to AN fittings, which allows the filter housing to basically be directly mounted to the sheet metal.

I might need to put an extra shield up there, but we will see how it goes after a few thousand miles. The new location means I don't have to deal with removing the filter up in the engine bay and all the oil drips/spills that come with that. Just one pan, 0 special tools for an oil change. I only have to lift it up a bit since the car is lowered (drive up a 4.5" ramp I made a while back, really).

-Charlie

phattyduck

autojumbled":w1gb1xc5 said:
That's a neat install - looks good.
Where did the oil relocate kit come from?
This is how it looked originally:

xPiRabT.jpg

I pieced it together, not a kit. The 90* take-off adapter is from Canton Racing, though Moroso has a better option now (uses -10AN o-ring fitting instead of NPT). All the hose is going to be -10AN push-lock from Aeroquip, with Aeroquip fittings (all black). The last version used -12AN blue hose and red/blue fittings (what was available at the time). The new filter mount is the cheapest billet option I could find.

I pieced it all together on Summit. The old lines were starting to have some cracks externally and weep a bit, so I figured I should change it all out before there is a catastrophic failure.

This is what I did on a Camry Alltrac BEAMS build, which I am emulating here (late gen3+ filter location):

Where the filter fittings come into the bay:
8L5lmM6.jpg

Take-off adapter, from bottom front corner of engine bay:
jhTLnXX.jpg

Hoses coming up in front of AC comprssor:
32iUown.jpg

Hoses into filter mount (under cruise actuator, thus odd camera angle):
X1JeNRa.jpg

Suspension mount clearance (gen2 Camrys have an odd front suspension design with suspension mount where the filter would normally be):
xGfWfyQ.jpg

I don't think this way can be done on ABS equipped ST185's, since the ABS actuator is there, right? But you guys don't have to deal with the suspension/frame rail issues up front...

-Charlie

autojumbled

Cheers for the detail.

and yes, that's smack in the middle of where all the ABS stuff is so a no-go for ST185 but there are a few options.
When I last looked at this a few years ago, the options were limited, as you say on the hardware - there's plenty more stuff available now so in theory should be fairly easy to put together. :)

phattyduck

Ruined the phillips (errr.. JIC cross-head) screw on the water pump, and had to improvise. Luckily, I have some M6x1.0 button stainless screws in the garage. I had to modify the head a bit (they have a flange head) to fit in the water pump, but that gave me a chance to chamfer the rear to hopefully fit similarly to the original. Below - drilled out screw, modified bolt, original replacement bolt:

OdTIjzCh.jpg

NQv11o1h.jpg

yXQHwQxh.jpg

I am using the ST205 specific resin impeller water pump too instead of the stamped steel version. The one I took out also was a resin impeller and looked good after ~14 years and ~60k miles.

xm3sfJzh.jpg

I also got the oil pump spaghetti seal and shaft seal replaced. I messed up on the first cam seal, but luckily I have some extras. Very nice to be putting stuff back on the car instead of taking it apart.

Slow progress...

-Charlie

autojumbled

phattyduck":37dye54m said:
Ruined the phillips (errr.. JIC cross-head) screw on the water pump, and had to improvise. Luckily, I have some M6x1.0 button stainless screws in the garage. I had to modify the head a bit (they have a flange head) to fit in the water pump, but that gave me a chance to chamfer the rear to hopefully fit similarly to the original. Below - drilled out screw, modified bolt, original replacement bolt:

OdTIjzCh.jpg

NQv11o1h.jpg

yXQHwQxh.jpg

I am using the ST205 specific resin impeller water pump too instead of the stamped steel version. The one I took out also was a resin impeller and looked good after ~14 years and ~60k miles.

xm3sfJzh.jpg

I also got the oil pump spaghetti seal and shaft seal replaced. I messed up on the first cam seal, but luckily I have some extras. Very nice to be putting stuff back on the car instead of taking it apart.

Slow progress...

-Charlie
Has anyone actually removed the water pump without mangling that screw? I certainly haven't!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

phattyduck

autojumbled":r4gyy9gs said:
Has anyone actually removed the water pump without mangling that screw? I certainly haven't!
I did the first time... but the engine was out of the bay. The right sized JIS cross-head driver on an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) would probably get it out just fine.

-Charlie

I think most people run into this problem and blame it on the design. I had the same problem because when you take all the other bolts out and find the recessed one last it has all the pressure on it alone and it will strip out. The way I got it to come out was to have the surrounding bolts in still spreading the load across them evenly so the screw driver will get it out even without a hammer one. Good to see the progress man. The oil filter setup is way clean now. I put mine in the exact same spot actually! I will post some pics later.