Phattyduck's SV25/ST205 hybrid

phattyduck

Not sure how time passes so quickly... but I'm back working on the Alltrac again.

Lots of little uninteresting things done: Driver's door handle fixed, Right ball joint fixed, Coil+igniter mounted, wiper arms painted, cruise control actuator mounted (moved due to oil filter relocation), headlights/corner lights installed, cooling fan switch installed, oil change completed.

And the visible progress, the intercooler!

uEatryZ.jpg

The Camry doesn't have room to run piping around through the fenders or under the radiator support (Celica style), so the piping is going in to the engine bay on each side of the radiator (still have to cut the holes, the intercooler has rear outlets). I'm currently in the middle of modifying the bumper beam to clear the intercooler. The intercooler is mounted as far back as it can go and still clear the A/C system, and its as high as it can go and clear the headlights and bumper cover. Luckily, it just clears the lower valence (not pictured)

I'll be doing the charge pipes and exhaust modifying at my buddies shop once everything else is done: Wiring fix at the fuse box, trans fluid and the rest of the intercooler mounting. Its getting very close to its first drive in almost 2 years...

-Charlie

phattyduck

The Alltrac is finally out of the garage, at my buddy's shop...

Out in front of the house, waiting for the tow:
vVsVV6n.jpg

On the truck:
2SPLWAm.jpg

On the lift, exhaust getting fitted/modified.
bl7eruS.jpg

Its an eBay ST185 downpipe-back exhaust. It needs a bit of work lengthening the over-axle section and the front section of the cat-back to fit the chassis. Also, due to my previously slightly modified downpipe (to clear the front swaybar on the Camry) the midpipe flange needs to get clocked a bit. Sadly, we ran out of gas in the welder, so the exhaust will get finished another day.

After that, we weld a couple pipes for the intercooler and it'll be back on the road!

-Charlie

MWP

I shudder to think how the stupid-simple front suspension in this is going to handle the power.
Its bad enough in my VZV21.

phattyduck

MWP":fwza3epc said:
I shudder to think how the stupid-simple front suspension in this is going to handle the power.
Haha... yeah, you don't think that a combo swaybar/toe link is good for suspension geometry? :lol: I don't know why Toyota went this way, as they already were making the Celica standard A-arm setup... I think the only advantages are adjustable caster. I can also use the roll-center adjusters from the MR2 (the front suspension in this is essentially the same as the rear MR2 suspension).

This is the front lower setup from my FWD 3s-gte Camry. The front bar is a 27mm Whiteline (up from the factory 24mm) and all the bushings are polyurethane otherwise. In the FWD Camry, it had crappy Intrax springs and Tokico blue inserts. The only problem that I really had with that was bump steer and no bump travel because the car was too low. This car is about 1" higher and handles much better with the Tein suspension on there.

-Charlie

CAMRYGT4

MWP":2yyactyi said:
Its not ideal but I've shown an STI a thing or three around a corner on more than one occasion. Would something less primitive be better, of coarse, but this setup works better than it looks. That dost mean I haven't been looking into something better.

phattyduck

Plenty of clearance over the front crossmember (after slight modification):

oD0a14u.jpg

We also put in a 3" high flow cat. The exhaust is quiet! The open compressor side of the turbo makes as much noise as the exhaust. We still need to finish up the bit that goes over the axle (just a bit too close to the CV boot). Its a little tough to fit in work on the car between paying customers. :twisted:

Then its on to the intercooler pipes, which should go much faster. I can't wait to get driving it.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Worked on the intercooler pipes on Saturday. Got all the major work done, but totally forgot to take pictures... It needs one extra support tab and one nipple for the A/C idle-up air line. It looks like we will be doing a straight intake and relocate the battery where the air box normally sits. It has a Miata battery, so it should all fit just fine.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Updates (from last weekend... was lazy in posting this):

sXO8Ts3.jpg

The intercooler piping is done (leaving it without a BOV). Intake piping is almost done (gotta put on the two breather lines). Still have to make a little clearance in the exhaust over the rear axle. Then all that's left then is the battery tray...

And for those that want to see how the pipes were run off the intercooler, here's a few pics from the front with the bumper off.

9rd3Shx.jpg

gjHb5Kl.jpg

The car was out in the rain for a bit (thus the water)... oh, and you'll notice the nice blue paint - this work is being done at a Subaru shop, and all the spray pain they had was World Rally Blue... :lol:

I'll be back at it tomorrow. If we are able to finish the intake and exhaust, I'll drive it home and do the battery tray there. I'm getting even more excited about driving it again.

-Charlie

phattyduck

Only two more pics at the moment.

Back side of intercooler (driver's side):
mJl1DsI.jpg

General exhaust shot:
I9fDUmB.jpg

We worked through the day and late into Saturday evening and it was dark and I was in a hurry when I left the shop... IN THE ALLTRAC!

Hehe... so, I have some more little clean up stuff to do (and a smog check to get) and then I'll be driving it more and can get more pictures. The intake turned out really nice, as did the battery tray.

-Charlie

phattyduck

801Alltrac":d955lbyh said:
May I ask to see a front shoot with the new I/C :D
And love the ride looks great
Not much to see! The grill make it mostly invisible:

g80ETAs.jpg

Which is nice for keeping a low profile. :)

Got the smog check done (yay legal to drive on the street!) and put in a few gallons of 100 octane to get some better fuel in there. Lots of little things to wrap up, but it drives around pretty nice!

-Charlie

phattyduck

Left axle seal started leaking a good bit, so I replaced both sides. It also seems I have a leak from my power steering feed/return lines and an oil leak somewhere at/above the power steering pump. I haven't been able to trace that one back to the source yet. I'm fearing a cam seal, which would really suck...

I also media blasted and started painting the battery bracket - that one will definitely get some pictures to show it off when its ready. I also am going to change one fitting in my oil filter relocation to give me a bit more room for the intercooler pipes. It also seems I am getting just a bit of interference between my relocation take-off and the front swaybar mount... (the Camry swaybar goes to the front, not back)

The only picture worthy thing:
kaACiUl.jpg

That's a new (much larger!) AEM dryflow filter on the intake now. Hopefully worth a few HP over the old, used and dirty filter that was on there temporarily.

-Charlie

darthripley

Looking good Charlie! Glad you finally got to drive her around - i bet it's a hoot to drive!
Does the Camry weigh less than the ST165/185? Just curious b/c i tend to be a weight weenie lol

Good look on the oil leak. The cam seals aren't difficult to do but that's only with the motor not in the car :twisted:

phattyduck

darthripley":227zqm9n said:
Looking good Charlie! Glad you finally got to drive her around - i bet it's a hoot to drive!
Does the Camry weigh less than the ST165/185? Just curious b/c i tend to be a weight weenie lol

Good look on the oil leak. The cam seals aren't difficult to do but that's only with the motor not in the car :twisted:
Yeah, its great fun to drive. :D

The auto Camry Alltrac is listed at 3180 lbs - which puts it right around an ST185. What it lacks in leather, ABS, airbags and sunroof it gains back with the extra doors, length, etc. The only sad thought is that my old Camry (base model, FWD, manual trans) is listed around 2700 lbs. You wonder how the Alltrac could weigh so much more until you take the prop shaft and rear diff assembly out. :doh:

-Charlie