Project Revive and Redeem - ST165

UtahSleeper

Just researching so far. Need to get my other baby running first. I have all the parts to get my 80 Corolla running with EFI, just need to apply the wrench time lol.

I have considered rebuilding, but that would only consist of the bottom end. The previous owners sold everything off the motor except the short block. The reason for not selling that is the rings got fried from running E85, and the crank had issues.

Thats why I figure I will just get a "new" motor.

Been trying to keep an eye out for part outs since I need a full interior, hood, grill, etc.

Still may try and get a GTS for cheap so I can have the body and interior pieces I need and buy a motor. Also, another reason I am considering getting a GTS parts car is so I can yank the cams out for the motor I get :)

monkey8oi

I'm just gonna throw this out there as an extra option.. feel free to take it if you want or not.. i have two extra 1st gen heads in decent shape along with pretty much all the misc parts for the 1st all sitting in my garage taking up space (pistons, rods, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc..) .. I'd be willing to hand over anything you need to get this motor back together. All you'd really have to do is refresh everything.

Here's the catch.. i really don't wanna deal with the hassle of boxing and shipping everything. I'm located in san francisco, california.. If you feel like making a road trip out this way, i'll literally hand over all the 1st gen parts you need to get this baby back together..

Like i said.. just an added option if you want to take it.. As long as that st165 gets back on the road, i'm happy..

UtahSleeper

monkey8oi":1ce0w8mz said:
I'm just gonna throw this out there as an extra option.. feel free to take it if you want or not.. i have two extra 1st gen heads in decent shape along with pretty much all the misc parts for the 1st all sitting in my garage taking up space (pistons, rods, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc..) .. I'd be willing to hand over anything you need to get this motor back together. All you'd really have to do is refresh everything.

Here's the catch.. i really don't wanna deal with the hassle of boxing and shipping everything. I'm located in san francisco, california.. If you feel like making a road trip out this way, i'll literally hand over all the 1st gen parts you need to get this baby back together..

Like i said.. just an added option if you want to take it.. As long as that st165 gets back on the road, i'm happy..

Hmmmm.................I like road trips :) I may have to evaluate this option. And thanks for the assistance when I can take you up on this.

UtahSleeper

Well, I still haven't worked on the actual car yet, but I have started gathering spare parts. I have gathered some body parts, a blown motor and wiring harness. Will post pics later.

UtahSleeper

So, here are some of the current odds and ends I have collected. Still learning about the details of motor related work, so this motor will be my test bed. The head seems fine.........as far as I can tell. Pistons also don't look like any chunks are missing. Need to get an engine stand to take the pan off and investigate.

006.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

UtahSleeper

So, I still need to take the motor apart, but by the look of the piston and head on the crank pulley side of the motor it would seem to me that that piston is the one with jacked up bearings. Would this be a safe guess?

I figure if the issue is just the bearing:
Take the crank out, get checked and fixed if needed.
Rebuild the rest of the short block and maybe new pistons.....not sure if needed. I am not going to be aiming for big power.
Clean and rebuild the head.......not something I have ever done.

Any input/advice.