Project: '89 st165 400whp+ budget build

Ok I decided too jump on the bandwagon and start a project thread. A little history first.

I bought the car in 2003 from some scumbag used car lot. It had 170k and the engine was really tired and leaking oil everywhere. I drove it off the lot with smoke pouring out of the hood, but I didn't care I was in love. I was putting in about a quart a day. I replaced a bunch of stuff, turbo and oil lines, valve cover gasket, cam and crank seals, oil cooler o rings, blah blah blah. I had the oil leak down too about a quart an week. better, but still not good. It eventually spun a rod bearing.

I then swapped in a 185 motor. It was great, almost like a whole new car. It had a 2.5" exhaust (no mufflers or stock gutted cat), intake and a
mbc set at 15psi, act stage one clutch and an hks flywheel. I did some rallycross in it and it was really competitive with rally tires, I finished top 3 at all the races I made it too. I did a few autocrosses as well, which it didn't go too well with the stock suspension. I went too the drags once and ran a 14.1 at like 97mph. Anyway I had lot's of fun with the car, but eventually got bored. I started messing with a jdm 185 ecu and more boost, with toluene in the tank, and detonated it. Thats was in '06.

Heres a few pics of the car when it ran.
20050814347.jpg

joelheader.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00093-1.jpg

436339946_l.jpg

13712962_l.jpg

13666740_l.jpg

12146041_l.jpg

12145635_l.jpg

I recently Picked up another 185 motor of some guy on craigslist. It was a pretty good deal. $600 for a complete motor, transmission, uncut harness, ecu, front axles and a 185 radiator and fans. I got it too my shop and start ed messing around with it. I checked the timing belt which looked new as well as the water pump, then I tried too turn it over and it was seized up. Not that big of a deal, it had supposedly been sitting for about 2 years. I filled the cylinders with deep creep and let it sit for a while. It freed up eventually. I figured it might need rings, but I decided too just see what it did.

So I take my car down too my work.
003-1.jpg

Clean and paint the engine bay
072.jpg

Mount the intercooler
011-1.jpg

Put my st205 transmission on it with a competition clutch stage 4 unsprung and My HKS fly wheel.
034.jpg

050.jpg

Get the motor in the car
050.jpg

Mock up the intercooler piping.
070.jpg

065.jpg

I get everything buttoned up and go too try and fire the car, it turns over twice and then stops. I then try and turn the motor over and it's seized again. So it comes back out of the car and I tear it down too find this...

080.jpg

085.jpg

Apparently it hydro locked, I'm not sure when though, I don't think the started could exert enough force too do that, I guess it's possible though. About a week after that I had the car sitting out side of the shop and a usf reddway driver backed into it when he was delivering a 2jzgte for my buddies IS300.

Heres a couple pics of the IS, we just got the motor in a couple days ago.
dionsgteswap001.jpg

003-2.jpg

001.jpg

But back too my car. Heres the damage.
008-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

I got a decent check out of them too cover it, so it wasn't too bad and I have a parts car. So thats kinda were I'm at now. More on my plans later.

UtahSleeper

Hope you get it running again. I am completely baffled at how that rod is bent though!!!! Good luck on the project

LegacyofDan

i love the pics! i look forward to reading more about ur 165 :)

that rod picture was just shocking in my opinion...lol...but yeah keep updating!

and good luck bringing her back alive!

BTW can u give more details on your hood? how did it come to be?

Thanks guys. I'm still a little puzzled about the rod too and when it happened. I've seen it happen a few times, but the cars that it happened too were running. I just don't see how the starter could've done that.

The hood is just a stock hood with a scoop blended into it. I got the scoop from Erebuni when I did the swap. I was running the 185 ata intercooler. Now that I have a fmic I'm going back too a stock hood.

LegacyofDan

selling the hood?? if so i would def be interested, granted i would like to see a bit more pics before i send money, but i would def be interested :)

Now for the build plans. I'm shooting for 400whp or more on E85.

Things I have so far.

CP pistons, 86.5 9.0:1
396.jpg

I had the crank turned
086.jpg

New toyota water pump
New toyota oil pump
New toyota timing belt
HKS chromoly Flywheel
competition clutch stage 4 unsprung
HKS SSQV
FMIC
Walbro 255
RC 1200cc top feed injectors, I'meither going too use a 165 rail or go custom

Things I need too get

Rods, Eagle or stock, I haven't decided yet
Arp headstuds
Arp main studs
Arp rod bolts, if I go with stock rods
Rod bearings
Cometic headgasket
Engle valve springs
Precison SC44 turbo
Oil feed fitting for the block
Oil return fitting for the pan
Walbro 255, I'm going too run two
Aeromotive A100 FPR
Lots of -6 line, I haven't measured yet
Various fittings
Ct26 to T3 adapter
Honda Ecu, not sure which one yet
Hondata s300. My work is a dealer so I get a killer deal.
Honda distributor

I'm sure theres more and I'll add too it as I think of it. This should put me close too my goal of 400whp, with enough boost. I plan on getting cams and an intake in a few months after it's running.

LegacyofDan":239xrb9c said:
selling the hood?? if so i would def be interested, granted i would like to see a bit more pics before i send money, but i would def be interested :)

I suppose I could sell the hood, it would be a pain too ship though. It does need some work though. It's cracking around where the scoop is blended too the hood. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

88st165

Awsome. It good to see people drive these cars like they were born to be driven. Id like to see the honda ecu conversion done more and more. I think that info would be alot of help to our community. Good luck! 8)

RedCelicaTRD

E85 has way more potential then 400hp, so the fuel itself won't be the limiting factor. I personally would look into adding a second pump since E85 has such high requirements in terms of flow.

Keep up the good work 8)

RedCelicaTRD":1hntq6d0 said:
E85 has way more potential then 400hp, so the fuel itself won't be the limiting factor. I personally would look into adding a second pump since E85 has such high requirements in terms of flow.

Keep up the good work 8)

I am aware of the potential of E85. We run it in most of our shop cars and E98 in the supra which is 1000hp+, with dual gt35r's on it .It hasn't been on the dyno running ethanol yet though. It's awesome stuff, were making just under 400whp in our AP1 S2000, unopened motor, with an SC61 on it running 14psi.

I'm not worried about fuel, I will have plenty. I'm going too be running two walbros, I have one already, just need another. I'm more worried about the stock cams and intake chocking the turbo. So thats why I'm only shooting for 400hp right now. Once I get those I will try for around 500, which should be about the limit of the SC44.

Rick89GTS":1i4rwmt1 said:
I love this pic, great angle, shows off the 165's lines very nicely.Do you have a bigger photo of it?
joelheader.jpg

I really like that pic too and I wish I had a bigger photo, but I don't. I'll see if my buddy has one, he took it.

PatmanBBE

So I may sound like a total newb but I am loving your hood. Is that a custom job with the hood scoop or can I pick that up from toyota?

PatmanBBE":3meliw1n said:
So I may sound like a total newb but I am loving your hood. Is that a custom job with the hood scoop or can I pick that up from toyota?

Yeah like Rick said, it's custom. I got the scoop from erebunicorp.com. Then it had too be blended into the hood.

gearhead4life

WTF? How come I never hooked up with other Oregonian Alltrac fans while I lived there for 47 years. Now I'm in AZ, and see alot of enthusiasts in Oregon. Sounds like your shop is living the dream. I could tell from your pic's it was Oregon! God how I miss it :eek:fftopic:

gearhead4life":34bhmohv said:
WTF? How come I never hooked up with other Oregonian Alltrac fans while I lived there for 47 years. Now I'm in AZ, and see alot of enthusiasts in Oregon. Sounds like your shop is living the dream. I could tell from your pic's it was Oregon! God how I miss it :eek:fftopic:

It is too bad, we never did, I would've liked too see all your cars. It does seem like a lot of people are popping up around here recently. But yeah I love Oregon, I would never want too live anywhere else.

I wouldn't say were living the dream, the economy has hit us pretty hard. We had too close are large shop and showroom at the end of last summer and move into a much smaller shop. We still have lots of toys though.

Heres a pic of my cressida with supra and the S2000
work.jpg

And with the other supra
007-1.jpg

gearhead4life

Yeah, the economy has taken it's toll on the entire automotive industry, unless you want to be a repo man. :shoots: That Cressida's gonna be a great sleeper! Good luck with the 400hp Trac, btw.