Custom Din Console Gauge Cluster Project

redGT4

So this is my rough template i did today for my custom gauge cluster in the car stereo / ash tray area of the dash. After a bit of head scratching and garage searching i found everything i needed, so no money spent yet.

P2200013.jpg

I'm hoping for three gauges (w/t, vm and o/p), but that bottom mount is in the way. Tomorrow i'll reverse the mounts, that will provide clearance, but i'll need new holes. The din hole is rough; I'm going to enlarge it so the pioneer din bezel can comfortable fit. The bottom of the fascia fits really well though. The lower right side is a bit off, but the upper section follows the curve tightly. The left side is a bit larger and needs a sand to fit better.

P2200018.jpg

P2200022.jpg

Enough room on either side for a missle switch. Left side will be interior lights, right side will be boost switch for turbosmart b/c.

P2200021.jpg

Autometer thoughtfully provide these plastic mounts for the gauge. Lucky as the holesaw was 54mm, the gauge is 52. Mounted tightly though you cannot see the gap.

A bit more pissing around with the small stuff and the template should be ready to make a good fascia from.

To give you a complete picture, i'm intending to have the two missle switches either side of the stereo, the switch covers are carbon style, not red as shown. Three Autometer CF gauges and underneath i'm hoping to put an Apexi RSM though i don't know what size they are so if u have one could you measure it and let me know!

Once the fascia is ready i plan to get it coated along with the shifter surround in a carbon fiber look from here:

http://www.dashboardcentre.com.au/information2.php?info_id=11

klue

I did the same thing your doing with my st165 center console. I mounted 4 gauges above the radio. Its more important to see the gauges than the radio garbage. Also you should take into account the viewing angle.

-You might need to make a spacer to position the gauges to face your face not the back seat.

-another thing is that having the switches and stuff visible like that can get real cheesy real fast. The best looking installs are the hardest to tell they were installed. when you slap on to TOUCH ME TEASE me red switches it kind of throws the whole thing off.

-since you dont have lighted or led monitors for your switches im assuming your going with the boy racer look, over actually controlling something important. so maybe tuck the switches away somewhere else.

Just my o2 no offence.

looks good

redGT4

All valid points that I'll never take offense to!

I may just reverse the stereo and gauges as my knee does obscure that section.

To angle or not angle? My preference is to keep them flat but seeing how the hardest part as been thinking about where i want things and not the actual build of it, i'll might do both and compare.

The red switch cover is a spare i had to see how it looks, if i do place them either side i have two carbon covered covers to place there, which look 100 times better. i could replace them with OEM switches though, come to think it and give it a factory look.

The actual sheet styrene base is going to be about 2/16" of an inch or 1/16 with 2/16 reinforcing along the gauges. The sheets are glued together using Methyl Ethyl Ketone(MEK) which melts/welds them.

Toxygene

I vote for trying to make it look stock. Steal switches from other Toyotas if you have to. Like maybe a separate rheostat for the Gauge lights or maybe even go trick and steal the headlight sensor from the 00-05 Celica and have it automatically turn on or off the lighting for the gauges. That would kick ass.

klue

You dont really have to get other switches. You can always put the switches in a more low key area. out of the way of touchy passengers, cops, and people peeking in your windows.