My ST184.75 Project ( updated )

jpadilla

This is my 1991 toyota celica GT Converted to a ST185 all wheel drive. Ive been working on it for about 6 months and me and a friend just got it running perfect. im pushing 215 whp dynoedd on a mustang dyno. here are some pics of the car, looks alot better since when i first got her.

SI850060.jpg

SI850063-1.jpg

SI850062.jpg

SI850059.jpg

SI850061-1.jpg

SI850101.jpg

SI850100.jpg

SI850099.jpg

SI850055.jpg

here is an update to my project, i added a greddy pro boost conrtol and im running 14 psi with no fuel cut, dont know why? but it pulls hard. well here is the video hope you like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTzwHNPBl24

Rpz123isme

post pic's of how you did the awd. I am intersted to see. i was going to go that route but i found an alltrac instead 8)

jpadilla

i didnt take any pics because i didnt have a camera. but it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. every thing was pretty much straight foward.

jpadilla

ill take pics tomorrow. thanks again for all the complements. im going to paint the car satin black and im going to clean up the engine bay a pit more.

bccentaur3

You just said "straight forward"? I was planning on doing the awd conversion on my 6th gen and realized how much work I had to do to it and ended up selling it as a halftrac with the st205 front end conversion.

With me not giving up on owning an AWD car I decided to pick up a st165..

When you say straight forward do you mean, no need to fab up a subframe?

jpadilla

no everything bolts up, the hardest was locating a gastank for the car so i ended up buying a new one from toyota whitch came from japan because they had a hard time finding one here in the country. it has brand new fuel lines fuel pump and i had to rewire everything the last owner did. so the last owner that had the car started this project but he did a hackjob onit so i bought this unfinished car thinking (what the hell did i get my self into) :cry: and kinda finished it. :D Now im happy with the car the way she runs a thats about it because from the pics you could see it looks like shit, but it use to look alot worse before. it had green fenders, a hatcked up white front bumper and a gt hood with an aftermarket hoodscoop.

Terracar

Holy turbo-charged neopolitan ice-cream sandwich batman! :shock:

Wow, congrats on getting it up and running with the conversion. It is a shame you weren't able to get more pics. I would certainly be interested in seeing it up on a lift.

Good job. Now get it painted.

-Terracar

jpadilla

no i didnt see anything that was custom on it, when i lowered the rear sub frame i didnt see any cutting. the only custom thing about the car was relocating the gas tank and even that was pretty easy. one thing i want to do is get a one piece drive shaft. a buddy of mine told me to leave it like that and keep it as a sleeper :D, but im not its going to be painted the oe color whitch is red. im also going to add another video tonight so that you guys could see how much im boosting with no fuel cut

ulis_m86

you need to post pics of the rear set up cause it has always been said it was nearly impossible to do. claims are the rear subframe from 184 to 185 are different. a bunch of cutting and welding would be needed and at the end it would be cheaper and more reliable to buy a 185.
thats the reason so many people use mr2 and solara transmissions on the 184. i know guys at celicatech would flip if they heard this.

Rpz123isme

Thats funny because i was in the process of converting a 184 to a 185 and everything in the rear was diffrent. just take a look at the spare tire well. hmmmm on a 184 it is right where the pumpkin would sit.

jpadilla

it also has to be a hatch style not a coupe, because the hatch style gt has the same spare tire location as the alltrac ill post pics of the hatch.

GMan

Congrats on the swap !

There have been a few 6th gen swaps. Very rare for a 5th gen.

Regards;
------------------------------

lol, maybe it's simply a 185, converted to 184, then you reconverted it to 185 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm simply throwing out idea on this... everyone seems to believe that the 184 and 185 rear end are quite different. :shrug: