Project: Forever And Ever

ZTrac

So, basically, got myself an ST185 1991 that I first took apart about two years ago. Yes, two years ago. I started by just trying to fix some small leaks, and from there it just escalated and escalated. Alltracshoak if he's still on here, is the guy who came through one awesome day OVER A YEAR AGO and helped me pull the engine. Well, from there things just went downhill in a major way.

Between all sorts of other obligations and then a couple of motorcycle crashes and then an accident with a truck hitting me while I was walking, it has now basically been two years that my car has been up on jackstands. The engine is still sitting out, all taken apart, and I'm finally working on putting it back together. Mainly because I now finally have time and am finally healed back up enough to where I can actually work with tools and stuff like that.

Anyways, just wanted to post something quick to say that I'm finally back and working on the car, and I'll be posting updates and pictures as things progress.

ZTrac

That's what I thought. Then yesterday evening when I was working on it, I found myself staring at it trying to figure out what to do next! I'm the kind where I REALLLY want to tear it down to each individual nut and bolt and scrub down and degrease every individual piece before reassembly. Of course, I don't really have the space for that, nor the time really.

ZTrac

Hmm....okay....soo.....

Anyone ever take the inside piece on their valve cover off? I did, and started cleaning it all in the parts washer I picked up just recently. But now that I've gotten it all scrubbed down, I'm wondering, do I just use a regular RTV to seal it up again? There were places all over inside that had sealant on them, and I'm not even sure why it was all there.

Kcman91gts

Im not sure either , i noticed that when i did mine on my 165 and i searched everywhere couldnt find an answer , i think it may just be a baffle of some sort to minimize the amount of the oil that gets blown by . i dont think regular RTV black would hurt . if it was already on there.

ZTrac

That's what I'm hoping too. The bad part of all this is that I won't know FOR SURE until after everything is put back together...(turn key, engine blows up). Yeah....damn!