Project Phoenix 1990 Alltrac Paint Work Starts 3-5-16!!!

Lamont

So here is day 1 of project phoenix. This car belonged to a couple of members before I purchased it. It has 109k on the clock, and now that we have the positive out of the way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lets talk about it in detail shall we. The car was the victim of a very unfortunate engine fire :( :doh: . Before that it was a great example of a clean trac with all the extras. CS/RC Hood and Bumper very clean interior and low miles. Right now as the car sits it needs everything under the hood replaced, and I do mean everything :cry: :cry: . The wiring is completely fried :evil: all of it except for the interior wiring :D it survived the accident. So far I have removed the dash, and I will be replacing it with a fairly new one in the morning 8) . I have a ton of parts, but very little experience working on alltracs :twisted: :crazy: . I have a help wanted post under the northeast forum page. It will be a huge job, but I just couldn't let this former beautiful trac just die and fade away. Some might say why not, why not just buy a fairly decent trac to start with? Well the answer is pretty simple, I enjoy a challenge and this will be my biggest project challenge by far.

Thank you for viewing my project thread. I will update as project phoenix progresses. Please be advised!!!! The following photos are for mature audiences and may contain scenes of Alltrac violence :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

P1010018.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010027.jpg

P1010028.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

UtahSleeper

Well, my stomach just turned inside out. Sad to see one that bad, but glad it has a chance for revival. Planning for a complete restore or just fixe what the fire killed?

Lamont

Planning a full restore. The car has been off the road for so long I'm sure everything needs to be replaced. I'll get it running first, and then it’s off to paint and upholstery. Hopefully by the end of summer if I'm lucky.

Dracov

Those pictures are survivable for one simple reason: Your plans to bring her back to life. Much luck to you! I doubt I would have the fortitude to take on something like that

Hotrodhendrix

Is it bad that when I see the pics all I can think is get rid of the steering wheel cover and floor matts? :p

Cant wait to see this baby come back to life!

Lamont

Well its day 2, and I decided to take some engine pics. This is a JDM engine not sure exactly what year :doh: :( . If anyone can tell from ecu pics please let me know. In the next few days I will try to gut out the engine compartment, probably will take me a little longer :bangshead: :bangshead: , but I'll get it done. I do have lots of other parts I will be posting soon. I have also decided to sandblast the entire front end, and have it repainted before I get it up and running, just seems to make more sense that way.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

P1010015-1.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

mx6er2587

not sure if we've talked about this before but there is a nicely crushed 185 in a junkyard out here. Rad is destroyed and I think someone recently nabbed the turbo kit, but the rest of the bay is intact. Might be a good way to replace the 10,000 melted parts you have under the hood.

edit: btw it looks like a 92-93 motor. The plug wires clip onto the disty which is the 92+ style. It is of course possible someone put a 92+ cap and plugs on it at some point though.

Lamont

Yes, mx6er2587 we have discussed the 90 in the junkyard near you. I may take a trip out for some alltrac specific parts, but I think I may have just sourced a 90 GT-S automatic that has a bad motor for a really good price. So I'll pick it clean to replace most of the crispy bits :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . On a side note :eek:fftopic: , did you ever get a chance to send those engine bay picks? Also do you still have the turbo badge off the 185 near you? We never closed that deal either :twisted: :twisted: . So I'll probably have more parts than I'll need to get her back on the road maybe :lol: :lol:

Lamont

Well it's day 3 and I have removed a few more parts. I just wanted to add a few pics as I go along. Pics 4-6 are a HKS super sequential bov :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. Some parts are easy to recognize others are not. I'm planning on removing the engine next, I just need to buy an engine hoist.

crispybits1.jpg

crispybits2.jpg

crispybits3.jpg

crispybits4.jpg

crispybits5.jpg

crispybits6.jpg

crispybits7.jpg

crispybits8.jpg

crispybits9.jpg

crispybits10.jpg

crispybits11.jpg

crispybits12.jpg

crispybits13.jpg

crispybits14.jpg

crispybits15.jpg

crispybits16.jpg

crispybits17.jpg

crispybits18.jpg

crispybits19.jpg

mx6er2587

wow thats carnage. I can't believe it melted the bov so thoroughly. You've got quite the project on your hands. I still have the turbo badge. hows 10+5 for shipping sound?

What engine bay pics are we talking about? I have a very modified setup and I'm not sure how much they would help you?

good luck and keep up the good work

MrDB

Brave man.

But why??

Unless it has sentimental value? its going to cost more to fix that than buying a running one and fixing that up??

Terracar

Hotrodhendrix":1rqxy9th said:
Is it bad that when I see the pics all I can think is get rid of the steering wheel cover and floor matts? :p

Cant wait to see this baby come back to life!

I was like man that is some extra crispy Alltrac there... who the F put that steering wheel cover and the floor mats WTF.

You have quite a project on your hands. Good luck and I wish you the fortitude to follow it through.

-Terracar

Lamont

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys, and to answer MrDB (but why?) it would have been more of a shame to let this car just die. It has 109k miles on it and the body is pretty straight. Aside from the engine bay being fried from the engine fire the car itself is solid. Not much rust at all, but yeah I could have dropped $5-8k on a very well maintained alltrac, but would that make me smarter or more of an alltrac fan idk. Also you really don't know a car until you have wrenched on it for a while. I can't think of a better way to learn a vehicles mechanics than to strip it bare, and rebuild it from scratch :wink: :wink: :wink:. Hence the title Project Phoenix :smokes: :evil: from the fire and ashes new life will arise :shock: :shock: :eek:wned: :p :p

UtahSleeper

Something to be said for building an alltrac thats pretty much all new.

Also I think its good to revive the rare then to let one die.

Mafix

holy moly. in it's day this was a clean car. best of luck restoring her. marlon did leave much for ya there.